Cheesy tropes you just don't tire of.

Tools    

Answering the phone very rudely never fails to make me laugh. Whether they pick it up and say nothing, "yeah," "talk to me," etc., I love it. Bonus points if they hang up...better yet, slam the receiver without saying goodbye.

Answering the phone very rudely never fails to make me laugh. Whether they pick it up and say nothing, "yeah," "talk to me," etc., I love it. Bonus points if they hang up...better yet, slam the receiver without saying goodbye.
Don’t know what that says about me, but “yeah” and “talk to me” sound fine to me - what’d you expect, people, “How do you do?”

Don’t know what that says about me, but “yeah” and “talk to me” sound fine to me - what’d you expect, people, “How do you do?”
Yes, or just the usual "Hi," "Hello" or "Hi, Bob (or whatever the character's name is)." I guess that wouldn't be cool or badass enough.

Yes, or just the usual "Hi," "Hello" or "Hi, Bob (or whatever the character's name is)." I guess that wouldn't be cool or badass enough.
No, I do see your point. Would be refreshing. But I seem to remember Walter White was super-polite on the phone?

Whenever a biopic is made about a real life musician, they always have either drug problems, or homosexuality unacceptance problems, or sometimes both. It feels like a trope or cliche by now, but without it, the movies would have no conflict, if they don't.
Yeah, according to most movie biopics, there is a direct correlation between show business success and drug addiction.

Yeah, according to most movie biopics, there is a direct correlation between show business success and drug addiction.
This reminds me of the movie Walk Hard: The Dewey Cox Story (2007) - it satirized the typical tropes from all the other musical bio-pics.

It had the potential to be a classic comedy satire, but a few ill-placed scenes kept it from that spot (such as an unnecessary flash of full frontal nudity for one thing - I was showing the movie to my mom and she was actually enjoying it until that moment - then it got switched off).

Walk Hard has a collection of great spoof scenes, but it ends up being a movie who's sum is actually lesser than its parts. Great soundtrack though even if the songs are spoofs of other artists & their genres - the fact that John C. Reilly can sing like a freaking star helped in that respect!

Movie Forums Squirrel Jumper
Walk Hard is pretty good, but even after that movie was made you still have these musical biopics such as Bohemian Rhapsody for example, or Rocketman, which still seem to follow the same formula, without learning from Walk Hard.

So, any cheap recipe to endear you to a movie ?
HAPPY ENDINGS. I never get tired of them, and generally always hope for them. One might even guess that with more happy movie endings it could raise the dour depressed mood of the citizenry...

I hate it when someone wants to enter a locked house & suddenly remembers the key under the flowerpot next to the front door. I mean, who leaves a key like this.

"How tall is King Kong ?"
I mean, who leaves a key like this.
Yes, who, I want to know who, please tell me who, I want the full list. Names and addresses.

But anyway, this is meant to be a thread about tropes and clichés that we love. Zero negativity in here. Zero.

A very annoying trope is when people old enough to know better suddenly burst into singing a rap song. Jake Gyllenhaal & Anna Kendrick do it at their wedding in “End of Watch”, which is cringeworthy as they’re also dancing at the same time.

In “The Family Plan” on a family road trip Mark Wahlberg & Michelle Monaghan suddenly burst into a rap song. Which, somehow, they know all the moves & words to even though their two teenagers in the back seats have no clue what their parents are doing.

A very annoying trope is when people old enough to know better suddenly burst into singing a rap song. Jake Gyllenhaal & Anna Kendrick do it at their wedding in “End of Watch”, which is cringeworthy as they’re also dancing at the same time.

In “The Family Plan” on a family road trip Mark Wahlberg & Michelle Monaghan suddenly burst into a rap song. Which, somehow, they know all the moves & words to even though their two teenagers in the back seats have no clue what their parents are doing.
I concur — doesn’t even matter much to me if it’s a rap song or not, random out-of-the-blue singing is bizarre.

Anyway, trying to bring this back on track in terms of the tropes I love. All manner of foes-turned-friends, especially in buddy cop-type films. I do think there’s something to this, as when people strongly dislike each other from the get-go, quite often they do end up having a lot in common in my (admittedly very popular psychology) experience.

I concur — doesn’t even matter much to me if it’s a rap song or not, random out-of-the-blue singing is bizarre.
Singing a rap song is a desperate attempt to be “with it”, as we used to say.