The missing ghosts.

Tools    

"How tall is King Kong ?"
So, let's clarify this.

In 1922, 1923, 1924, 1925, there is NO movie that features a real ghost ? I mean a true supernatural revenant that isn't some scooby-doo disguise ? Not one !?

Also, strictly none either in 1928, 1929 and 1930 ? Only disguised nazis, heirs and counterfeiters ?

And in 1941, there's only the Topper sequel ?

Also, absolutely none whatsoever in the whole of 1948 ?

In the whole wide world ?

I don't believe it. I don't believe it.

I'd be curious to know how you came up with those dates. Ghosts seem to have fallen out of the sphere of human fears, to be replaced by terrorists, international criminals, gangsters, monsters, slashers, psychopaths, etc. I can't recall the last new ghost movie I saw.

It would actually be somewhat refreshing to have a new version of one of those old movies where a bunch of people gather for a party in an old British mansion, sleep over and start having things move around the rooms or make floors creek or show up as a face in the cloudy old mirror.

It's been a while since I saw one of those, although, apparently there's a new Ghostbusters movie due out in November, even featuring some of the old cast members.

"How tall is King Kong ?"
It's been a while since I saw one of those,
What !?

Ghosts are alive and kicking, since the big eastern-inspired renewal (ring, grudge, etc) and the spanish trend (devils' backbone, orfanato, etc). Nowadays there's this huge commercial franchise around the warren scammers, but also a whole constellation of B-movies and "elevated horror", like Body Cam, Winchester, Marrowbone, etc... The ratio of ghost movies per total movies has skyrocketed, lately.

And I'm mostly using imdb's database (and some others) but then double checking if it's about metaphorical ghosts, faked ghosts, or actual roaming dead ghosts.