jiraffejustin's 500+ favorite films

→ in
Tools    

Let the night air cool you off
Not in any order, just films I like.

1. Le Boucher (1970; Claude Chabrol)

An impressive thriller that makes no attempt to hide who the killer is, and yet still manages to be suspenseful and tense. Not the run-of-the-mill thriller that the synopsis might lead you to believe it is

2. The 400 Blows (1959; François Truffaut)

One of the most important French films of all-time. I need to watch it again, because I think my appreciation will grow even more. This film destroys the idea that children can't give great performances.

3. X: The Man with the X-Ray Eyes (1963; Roger Corman)

Dude, it's just a cool ass movie.

4. Alien (1979; Ridley Scott)

You won't be seeing the awful sequel to this movie on my list. The original is where it is at. Absolutely suspenseful and terrifying. The best space slasher ever. Jason X is a close second though.

5. Day of the Outlaw (1959; Andre De Toth)

Perhaps the most gorgeous western of all-time. If that is not the case, surely it's most gorgeous winter western of all-time.

Oh my God. I got goosebumps when I saw this thread.

4. Alien (1979; Ridley Scott)

You won't be seeing the awful sequel to this movie on my list. The original is where it is at. Absolutely suspenseful and terrifying. The best space slasher ever. Jason X is a close second though.
I like this write-up.

Glad you like it.

I just want to say that the goal of this thread is to share as many movies as I can think of that I like with you guys. I am going to try really hard not to make any duplicate posts. Also, this thread will be a failure if every person who looks through it when I am finished doesn't find at least a couple of films that they hate.

Also as a side note, I just want to mention that I am going to be sticking with feature length films. That's just to keep me sane, because I could name a bunch of shorts that I love too.

The 400 Blows was my favourite first time watch last year, totally agreed on the kids performances. Alien is good of course, and i quite liked Day of the Outlaw.

I was all when i saw this, thank god you aren't attempting to rank these haha.

The 400 Blows was my favourite first time watch last year, totally agreed on the kids performances. Alien is good of course, and i quite liked Day of the Outlaw.

I was all when i saw this, thank god you aren't attempting to rank these haha.
Yeah, dude. I am not trying to make my head explode.

French New Wave to Ridley Scott sci-fi and Roger Corman. I approve!
Thanks, dude.

I'll try to keep it eclectic.

6. All Quiet on the Western Front (1930; Lewis Milestone)

The book is even better, so read it. The shelling scenes in this film are so good.

7. The Apartment (1960; Billy Wilder)

Cynical. Hilarious. Sad. Joyous. Tight. Just behind Casablanca for my favorite dialogue in an American film.

8. The Human Condition I: No Greater Love (1959; Masaki Kobayashi)
9. The Human Condition II: Road to Eternity (1959; Masaki Kobayashi)
10. The Human Condition III: A Soldier's Prayer (1961; Masaki Kobayashi)

If you ever have nine and a half hours and feel like watching an anti-war epic masterpiece, I have the trilogy for you. Gorgeous photography meeting up with some really tense battle sequences make up some of the best parts of this trilogy, but the overall story of this Japanese pacifist who eventually gets drafted and forced into battle is one of the finest war movie stories ever made.

11. Juan of the Dead (2011; Alejandro Brugués)

Zombies in Cuba? Sure, why not? Featuring a cast of losers that are mostly pretty awful people that you really don't have much reason to root for, but it's still pretty darn funny. It's probably also saying some stuff of the socio-political situation in Cuba, but I don't know dick about that.

Love The Apartment. One of the most charming films i've seen. I really have to see The Human Condition Trilogy as i've really liked to loved Samurai Rebellion, Kwaidan and Harakiri from Kobayashi.

I've thought of doing something crazy like this, but now I can just live vicariously through you.

Just please don't be posting movies like Air Bud by the end.

Care for some gopher?
I've seen The 400 Blows, Alien and The Apartment. I liked the first one quite a bit, the second is one of my alltime favourites and the third one is an absolutely fantastic movie by one of my favourite directors.

Looking forward to further entries.

I've thought of doing something crazy like this, but now I can just live vicariously through you.

Just please don't be posting movies like Air Bud by the end.
You don't like Air Bud?

Sorry if I'm rude but I'm right
Outstanding selection of movies and I love the sweeping number of them to show up! Now that's what I call a substantive list. I don't trust people who can easily choose just 50, or 100 favourite movies.
Look, I'm not judging you - after all, I'm posting here myself, but maybe, just maybe, if you spent less time here and more time watching films, maybe, and I stress, maybe your taste would be of some value. Just a thought, ya know.

You don't like Air Bud?
Well, when you start off with movies as awesome as you've listed already, it would be a little bit of a let down. But I do feel like you didn't get the joke. It's okay. Making a list is serious business.

Welcome to the human race...
Yeah, Kaplan's making a joke that touches on the key issue with making such a large list - unless you've seen thousands of movies, you risk running out of movies you genuinely consider favourites and have to resort to listing literally any movies you've seen in order to make such a large quota.

So far I've only seen Alien, really want to see All Quiet.. I kinda regret not getting the DVD when I had the chance.

Looking forward to the rest!

Well, when you start off with movies as awesome as you've listed already, it would be a little bit of a let down. But I do feel like you didn't get the joke. It's okay. Making a list is serious business.
I got it; I was just making a joke myself.

Also, I think all the movies that will be on this list are good. That's why I am making it.

Sorry if I'm rude but I'm right
LOL I made a list with 1600 great movies and you guys doubt jiraffejustin can find 500 of them.