Asian Movie Challenge

Tools    

I'll join! Hopefully it will inspire me to watch some more Asian films. I've already watched some of course, but there's way too much stuff that I still have to check out. Cool initiative, JJ!

Oh, I very much need and want to widen my Asian cinema knowledge, but since I don't like to put any sort of constraints on my movie watching habits, I'll choose to not step in this challenge. I am certain that I'll see plenty Asian stuff in the coming weeks though, and I shall comment or recommend some titles in ths thread once in a while.

If allowed, I'll put links in this thread to any Asian movie I review once the challenge starts...

Let the night air cool you off
We just watch films from any Asian country and keep a tally on them. At the end of the four month period, we will see who saw the most. We don't have to see the same movies or anything. There's a bunch of recommendations being given out now, because we don't start until the first of May.

I would love to join this. This is a great way for me to learn more about Asian cinema and thanks for this wonderful film discovery challenge idea J.J.

Chappie doesn't like the real world
ah ok I see. I'd love to join in, but won't be able to watch as many films as some people have the time to!
Yeah, I don't think I'm going to be the one who watches the most, but I like challenges and tournaments as I become much more disciplined about watching movies. I'm shooting for 4 a month.

If anybody would like to share recommendations of 70s Asian movies I would appreciate it.
Throw Away Your Books, Rally in the Streets
Kaigenrei
Manila in the Claws of Neon
Perfumed Nightmare
Vengeance Is Mine
Battles Without Honor and Humanity
The Man Who Stole the Sun
"Don't be so gloomy. After all it's not that awful. Like the fella says, in Italy for 30 years under the Borgias they had warfare, terror, murder, and bloodshed, but they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci, and the Renaissance. In Switzerland they had brotherly love - they had 500 years of democracy and peace, and what did that produce? The cuckoo clock."

Some more recommendations:

Afghanistan

Osama (2003) - Siddiq Barmak
Earth & Ashes (2004) - Atiq Rahimi

Both films are very much done in the Iranian style.

China

Anything by Zhang Yimou is good and his movies are quite "mainstream" I guess. Apart from his more famous ones (like Hero), I enjoyed:

The Road Home (1999) with Zhang Ziyi
The Story of Qiu Ju (1992) with Gong Li
Happy Times (2000)
Riding Alone for Thousands of Miles (2005)

I haven't seen much by some of the lesser known Chinese directors but liked what I saw from Tian Zhuang Zhuang (The Horse Thief) and Jia Zhang Ke (Platform).

Kekexili: Mountain Patrol (2004) - Lu Chuan is also a good movie about Tibetan antelope poaching.

Hong Kong

Watch any Wong Kar Wai film (except perhaps My Blueberry Nights). Seriously.

India

I've really only seen Satyajit Ray films aside from the more popular Bollywood movies. If anyone is unsure about watching his movies, check out Sadgati (1981). Shows his style pretty well and is nice and short - only 45 minutes.

Iran

A Separation (2011) - Asghar Farhadi is one of the best films I've ever seen.
Kandahar (2001) - Mohsen Makhmalbaf. I agree with Bluedeed that Makhmalbaf is weaker than some other Iranian directors but this is worth seeing.
Blackboards (2000) - Samira Makhmalbaf (Mohsen's daughter)

Anything by Kiarostami or Majid Majidi is worth watching.

Japan

So many to choose from but apart from the many famous directors, I'd recommend anything by Tetsuya Nakashima (particularly Confessions and Memories of Matsuko), Takeshi Kitano (Dolls & Fireworks), Hirokazu Koreeda (Still Walking, Maborosi & I Wish) and Takashi Miike (for something a bit more violent )

Philippines

Yam Laranas has made three horror movies worth seeing (although two are the same movie):

The Road (2012)
Sigaw (2004) Philippines Version
The Echo (2008) US Version

South Korea

Kim Ki Duk - 3-Iron and Spring, Summer ... are masterpieces
Park Chan Wook - Oldboy, Lady Vengeance & Thirst as well as Stoker if it counts
Lee Chang Dong - Oasis, Poetry & Peppermint Candy
Bong Joon Ho - Memories of Murder and Mother
Kim Ji Woon - I Saw the Devil, A Tale of Two Sisters & The Good, The Bad & The Weird

So many great movies out of Korea. Some others:

Breathless (2009) - Yang Ik Joon
Castaway on the Moon (2009) - Lee Hae Jun
Bedevilled (2010) - Jang Cheol So

Taiwan

Watch every movie Hou, Yang & Tsai have made

Thailand

I've liked everything I've seen by Ratanaruang and Weerasethakul. I'd also recommend this - one of my favourite horror movies:

Shutter (2004) - Banjong Pisanthanakun/Parkpoom Wongpoom
Well that's my movie watching taken care of for another 3 months. Cheers.

I've seen most of those Korean ones. Stunning cinema. Also think "Confessions" by Nakashima is a masterpiece.

Carry on.

I'm going to set a goal. During the next four months, I'll have a lot of other stuff to do and I will still keep watching other films beside Asian movies, so let's say I'll try to watch about 20+ ASIAN FILMS (that I haven't seen before) during the whole four month period, starting from May the first.

so, what happens then? Do we mention the ones we've watched as we go along or just at the end of the four months?
One by one as we go along, I presume. I think JJ is going to keep a list in the first post that showcases everyone's process.

Well I'm in. Infact I watched one yesterday and commented in the review thread. This is what I said...it's hardly an in-depth review but it's a start:

Castaway on the Moon (2009)

Terrific Korean movie. Really enjoyed it. 2 great leading actors, a nice quirky plot, and some lovely cinematography. 8/10