jiraffejustin's Top 25 Horror Films* of the 80s

→ in
Tools    

Let the night air cool you off

An American Werewolf in London

I thought about analyzing this film once, but then I realized all I could think about was Jenny Agutter hotness.

Hellraiser

Cerebral horror film with a very dreadful atmosphere. It's a little slow, so that could turn some off, but they would be dearly missing out.

The Prowler

Severely underrated and unappreciated slasher from the 80s. It follows the slasher formula, but it's not a Friday the 13th ripoff by any means. It also has some fantastic Savini gore, if you're into that kind of thing.

The Thing

John Carpenter's best film gives you a little bit of everything: Paranoia, aliens, dogs being consumed by aliens, snow, lots of snow, Kurt Russell, aliens, dogs being consumed by aliens

Day of the Dead

My second favorite in the trilogy. Ahead of Dawn, behind Night. Really underrated zombie flick out of the Godfather of zombie movies, George A. Romero.

You have by following it up with that. I know I'm in the minority, but I don't like "Day".
I live to disappoint. I have a feeling there's more coming up you won't like.

You're right, Manhunter's not a horror. But it is brilliant. I have it on my top 100. Also, I'm sure there'll be plenty I don't like. I don't like anything.

You're right, Manhunter's not a horror. But it is brilliant. I have it on my top 100. Also, I'm sure there'll be plenty I don't like. I don't like anything.
Enemy of all things film!

Videodrome

Cronenberg is one of the genre's finest directors, and it's been a real joy for me to "discover" a lot of his works. Videodrome is one of the better of these works, which is saying something, and it's disturbing enough to stick with you for a while.

It's not. It's a psychological thriller. Like Silence Of The Lambs or Manhunter.

BTW, Manhunter, Day Of The Dead and The Vanishing pics aren't showing for me.

Blue Velvet

This isn't really a horror film but it's pretty terrifying at times...I do love this film, and I felt I could crowbar it into my first list here, so I did.

Don't worry, honeykid, the rest are pretty straight forward horror. At least, I consider them to be.

Now, while I agree that Blue Velvet isn't a horror film, it is, along with Henry: Portrait Of A Serial Killer, the most disturbing film I've ever seen.