Quote of the Day

Tools    

Bright light. Bright light. Uh oh.
"I have learned more about love, selflessness and human understanding from the people I have met in this great adventure in the world of AIDS than I ever did in the cutthroat, competitive world in which I spent my life."

"The violence in the Psycho movies is born out of plot, passion and character... Don't just dispatch people by six to the reel and say it's entertainment. The real secret of Psycho is that it's a tragedy first and a horror movie second."

[Part of his last letter, given to his sons after his death] "Boys, don't try to find a woman as wonderful as your mother to marry because if you do, you'll stay single your whole lives."

- Anthony Perkins

"I am on a drug. It's called Charlie Sheen. It's not available because if you try it, you will die. Your face will melt off and your children will weep over your exploded body" - Charlie Sheen

Good lad, Charles. Maybe you should get yourself off to bed with a nice cup of hot chocolate?
Oh woe is me too...

"Live like you'll die tomorrow, work like you don't need the money, and dance like nobody's watching."

"I would never discriminate against someone's talent because they showed the poor taste to like me."

"If you think you can do better, then do better. Don't compete with anyone, just yourself. When you are in trouble or have a dilemma, ask yourself, "What's the important thing?" And when you wake up in the morning, ask yourself how you can be a better person, not just a better performer."

- Bob Fosse

"All of life's questions and answers are in The Treasure of the Sierra Madre. It's about greed and ambition and paranoia and looking at the worst parts of yourself. When I was writing There Will Be Blood, I would put The Treasure of the Sierra Madre on before I went to bed at night, just to fall asleep to it."

"We're all children of Kubrick, aren't we? Is there anything you can do that he hasn't done?"

"Oh how I hate it when directors are supposed to explain their films. I only say this much [about Magnolia]: If I had had more cash, I would have let it rain cats and dogs."

- Paul Thomas Anderson

"I disapprove of what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it"

Evelyn Beatrice Hall

"My mother says I didn't open my eyes for eight days after I was born, but when I did, the first thing I saw was an engagement ring. I was hooked."

"Success is a great deodorant. It takes away all your past smells."

"Some of my best leading men have been dogs and horses."

"One problem with people who have no vices is that they're pretty sure to have some annoying virtues."

- Elizabeth Taylor (R.I.P.)

The key is to keep company only with people who uplift you, whose presence calls forth your best.

Difficulties are things that show a person what they are.

First learn the meaning of what you say, and then speak.

If evil be spoken of you and it be true, correct yourself, if it be a lie, laugh at it.
Epictetus

"Movies are so rarely great art that if we cannot appreciate great trash, we have very little reason to be interested in them."

"In the frivolous, absurd old days, stars were photographed in their bubble baths; now they bathe in tears of self-pity."

"The words "Kiss Kiss Bang Bang", which I saw on an Italian movie poster, are perhaps the briefest statement imaginable of the basic appeal of movies."

- Pauline Kael

"All great work is preparing yourself for the accident to happen."

"Kurosawa never affected me directly in terms of my own movie-making because I never would have presumed that I was capable of that perception and that vision."

"All I want to do is get better and quantity can help me to solve my problems. I'm thrilled by the idea that I'm not even sure how many films I've done. If I don't have a script I adore, I do one I like. If I don't have one I like, I do one that has an actor I like or that presents some technical challenge."

"There's no such thing as a small part. There are just small actors."

- Sidney Lumet, R.I.P.

Here is the quote of the day..!!
"Nerds don't just happen to dress informally. They do it too consistently. Consciously or not, they dress informally as a prophylactic measure against stupidity."

"I didn't have evil intentions, but I guess I did have power."

"Look for the seams (on a knuckleball) and then hit in-between them."

"Life is precious and time is a key element. Let's make every moment count and help those who have a greater need than our own."

- Harmon Killebrew (Baseball Hall-of-Famer) R.I.P.

The People's Republic of Clogher
Ireland is NOT A PLC. (it is a wholly owned subsidiary of its past)

Ciaran O’Kelly

Stay disciplined to have everything you want. And still stay disciplined and focused to get more.

- Bernard Hopkins

Any idiot can face a crisis - it's day to day living that wears you out.
Anton Chekhov

Don't go around saying the world owes you a living. The world owes you nothing. It was here first.
Mark Twain

He who has a why to live can bear almost any how.
Friedrich Nietzsche

In three words I can sum up everything I've learned about life: it goes on.
Robert Frost

When you're chewing on life's gristle
Don't grumble, give a whistle
And this'll help things turn out for the best...
And...always look on the bright side of life...
Always look on the light side of life.
Monty Python's Life of Brian

"The most unfair thing about life is the way it ends. I mean, life is tough. It takes up a lot of your time. And what do you get at the end of it? A death. What's that, a bonus? I think the life cycle is all backwards. You should die first, get it out of the way. Then you live in an old age home. You get kicked out when you're too young, you get a gold watch, then you got to work. You work forty years until you're young enough to enjoy your retirement. You do drugs, alcohol, you party, get laid, you get ready for high school. You go to grade school, you become a kid, you play, you have no responsibilities, you become a little baby, you go back into the womb, you spend your last nine months floating in warm liquid... and you check out as a gleam in somebody's eye!"

Sean Morey

there's a frog in my snake oil
How's about some bitchy author-on-author action?

“A great cow full of ink.”
~Gustave Flaubert on George Sand

“There are two ways of disliking poetry; one way is to dislike it, the other is to read Pope.”
~Oscar Wilde on Alexander Pope

“That’s not writing, that’s typing.”
~Truman Capote on Jack Kerouac

“Every time I read ‘Pride and Prejudice,’ I want to dig her up and hit her over the skull with her own shin-bone.”
~Mark Twain on Jane Austen (1898)