Westworld, Season 2 (no outside theories!)

Tools    

This might just do nobody any good.
Tbh, I’m still not onboard with Liam McPoyle as Ed Harris.

Oh, and all this time Lawrence was saying “El Lazo”, not “Eliza”. Oops.

I'm enjoying Season 2 so far, but I'm, ahem, "at sea" about the timelines, especially as regards Bernard. And did we not hear the voice of, or imitated voice of Anthony Hopkins as Ford in the background calling Bernard "Arnold." I don't remember us specifically being told in S1 that Arnold and Bernard are one and the same. I think it was hinted at. I only remember for a fact that Ford told Bernard that he (Bernard) was a host, which is now fact on the show. But there was the picture of Ford, Arnold, and Bernard. Did the person that was supposedly Arnold disappear from the picture and only Ford and Bernard were there? It seemed like that. If the real Arnold was actually Bernard, can somebody remind me of when that was shown or told?

We were told in Episode 1 that the package was in Abernathy, Dolores' father, a "retired" host. So, wasn't Hale trying to locate him on the computer map when she and Bernard were inside?

Yeah, like it was stated in the article, it appears that Dolores is completely self-aware and remembers everything. Or does she? She certainly appears to remember the past when young William was talking to her, and when Bernard had a (fatherly?) affection for her and showed her the skyline of the city or when William was meeting with her.

I love Dolores but agree that Maeve is the boss of the hosts. She's not overemotional at all. She really talked her way past Dolores and Teddy really easy, didn't she? Loved that scene.

Still intrigued by The Man in Black and why he wants to "burn the whole place down."

They revealed Bernard was a host copy of Arnold the same episode Ford has Bernard kill Theresa, the Delos executive. It was in episode 7 or 8 of the first season.

Because of the hosts’ programming to ignore anything that might disrupt their “realities” or loops, Bernard saw a different person in the picture Ford showed him but it was always him. Ford eventually removed that to reveal to Bernard his origin and purpose.

Did Ed Harris say he wants to burn it all down? I think he said Ford intended the hosts to do that in their quest for independency and this gave The Man in Black’s quest something of ticking clock. Certainly, Ford doesn’t want him to succeed since he had all the hosts he try to rally to his side commit suicide.

They revealed Bernard was a host copy of Arnold the same episode Ford has Bernard kill Theresa, the Delos executive. It was in episode 7 or 8 of the first season.

Because of the hosts’ programming to ignore anything that might disrupt their “realities” or loops, Bernard saw a different person in the picture Ford showed him but it was always him. Ford eventually removed that to reveal to Bernard his origin and purpose.

Did Ed Harris say he wants to burn it all down? I think he said Ford intended the hosts to do that in their quest for independency and this gave The Man in Black’s quest something of ticking clock. Certainly, Ford doesn’t want him to succeed since he had all the hosts he try to rally to his side commit suicide.
Thanks for the explanation about the picture. That one threw me when Bernard was seeing a different person. And now I remember that Delores killed the real Arnold.

Oh yeah, Harris said those very words...It was in Ep.2...I couldn't find an individual video that has him saying it, but I believe he's saying it to Lawrence (Clifton Collins Jr.). It's in this trailer for Season 2 at the 2 minute mark.

I like this next video that explains pretty much everything from Ep.2 for a dummy like me. This is why I should really watch each episode twice because, boy do I gloss over some things!

Okay, nobody is talking much but I thought I'd add a little something to what Saunch was asking about The Man is Black talking about burning Westworld to the ground. Watching it a second time, I wrote down the conversation between the MiB and Lawrence:
Lawrence: "...if my mortal soul gets cast down into some dark place. Always sounded like bullsh**t to me."
MiB: "Yeah, and in the outside world you'd probably be right. Just some fairy tale to convince people to behave. to pay their taxes, and not take a machete to their neighbors. That's why your world exists. They wanted a place hidden from God. A place they could sin in peace. But we were watching them. We were tallying up all their sins. All their choices. Of course, judgement wasn't the point. We had something else in mind entirely. But, I have received my judgment all the same, Lawrence, and I take issue with it. Because up until this point the stakes in this place haven't been real. So I'm gonna fight my way back and appeal the verdict. Then I'm gonna burn this whole f**king thing to the ground."

Anyhoo, that's the conversation. If you haven't already watched it a second time, Saunch, there ya go.

That elusive hide-and-seek cow is at it again
Love the intro with Seven Nation Army. I really enjoy the contemporary music and I'm curious how significant these choices of songs are, if at all.

Some more than others, like “Back to Black” playing for Maeve (“I’ve died a hundred times...”)

The Adventure Starts Here!
Love the intro with Seven Nation Army. I really enjoy the contemporary music and I'm curious how significant these choices of songs are, if at all.
That's just what I came here to post: LOVED the exotic undercurrent of "Seven Nation Army" in the first scene! Episode 1 was Nirvana's "Heart-Shaped Box." Crazy-good use of music on this show.

I was gonna call it Kipling-World.

“Seven Nation Army.” Imperialism humor is much appreciated.

Jeez, I needed another reason to dislike story douche. That’s a good bit, btw, giving new meaning to Hector’s repeated “vices” line. Oh, and they answered that thing about Trevor’s change of attitude.

Trevor? Sorry... for some reason I'm not placing who Trevor is (and I even looked up characters on IMDb and couldn't see a Trevor). Help a girl out here!

That elusive hide-and-seek cow is at it again
lol. Negan should pour a bottle of milk at some point next season in honor.

"Ever try to forcibly pin down a house cat? It's not easy." - Captain Steel

"I just can't get pass sticking a finger up a dog's butt." - John Dumbear

Okay, we're three episodes into the new season. I admit I have this fear that this season will be too much showing us this host horde and that host horde rising up and rebelling, with lots more park guests getting killed (because Abernathy hasn't made it out of the park yet). Frankly, I'm already a little tired of it. They've now shown us that a different park (with the Bengals) is also on the fritz, and we can guess that the Asian park is also going haywire (although we have yet to see it).

But I just don't need TOO much more of this. Not, like, a whole season of it.

I'm simplifying my fear here. I think the issue is a little more subtle. That first season introduced us to a whole new world, and we had to absorb and learn EVERYTHING from the ground up. So many things were revealed to us by the end of season 1! I guess I just am already missing a lot of that "wow!" factor that came with nearly every episode of season 1. I haven't found myself asking the same sorts of fundamental world-building questions this season. Not yet, anyway.

I suppose that's to be expected once the world is more familiar to us. But I kinda miss the sense of awe and wonder (splendor? ha!) I got during every single episode of season 1.

---

Side note: The "Seven Nation Army" music in the background as we were shown our first glimpse of a second park made me wonder if there are indeed seven parks. Assuming hosts rebel in every park, then it would indeed become a seven-nation army.

28 days...6 hours...42 minutes...12 seconds
Side note: The "Seven Nation Army" music in the background as we were shown our first glimpse of a second park made me wonder if there are indeed seven parks. Assuming hosts rebel in every park, then it would indeed become a seven-nation army.
There's at least six confirmed.

Suspect's Reviews

Tonight’s was a rather frustrating episode.
I'm curious why you think so. I was going to come back to this thread and say that last night's episode made me more hopeful for the rest of the season.

My previous post expressed some frustration, and I think it's because I don't see this season asking as many questions for us as the first season did. Of course, in any sci-fi-type show, that's bound to be true since the first season gets to introduce you to the world and its rules. Once you're familiar with the world, it's harder to continue finding that awe and wonder.

But last night's episode (S2, E4, "The Riddle of the Sphinx") introduced some new plot twists and ideas. I found it refreshing, and a little more like season 1.

Welcome to the human race...
It's a curious episode because on one hand the entire Peter Mullan thread made for a great and (relatively) self-contained narrative thread (and it intertwined with the Bernard/Elsie thread, which was the second-best thread) but the MIB/Lawrence thread is really starting to feel like wheel-spinning at this point. At least the next episode seems to finally be taking place in Eastworld.