Regionless DVD players?

Tools    

or just use a software player like MPlayer. programs like this can read the dvd directly and then do the decryption themselves (rather than relying on the hardware) so the region of the dvd becomes irrelevant.

I do have multi-region dvd player..my auntie gave it for me as a gift...I've ask her where did she bought it and she forgot where but she said she saw it on web before.

A region free dvd player dosen't even solve my problem - because I want to watch this on my computer. I have the series on my comp already but pretty low screen size quality.

I have loads of American films I like but they're solely on region 1 and usa tvs are different to uk ones- something about the amount of frames per sec? Grrr >

The People's Republic of Clogher
Google the name and model number of your player followed by 'region free hack' and see what comes up - you might be surprised to find that your DVD player might become region free with a few presses of your remote.

As to the PAL/NTSC thing, it shouldn't be a problem for most modern TVs. I'm pretty sure that all LCD TVs bought in the UK can cope with 60HZ outputs (both of mine do no problems).

Actually, I think (but am not sure) that the DVD player should convert the output for you, if it's capable of region free playing.

Banned from Hollywood.
i have no idea of all this region business..i read somewhere that dvd's in europe are PAL and in the states NTSC...so i guess that's the main difference...i can see that my dvd player can accept NTSC and PAL..so i reckon that if i buy a dvd from the states i will be able to play in on my dvd player...just guessing here....

damn technology.why make it so complicated? .offers so much, but if you start dealing with itt and start searching things it becomes a pain in the ass..

The People's Republic of Clogher
Not quite - Most DVD players can cope with NTSC and PAL signals (it's the frequency the picture is broadcast at) but very few are region free out of the box.

European DVDs are region 2 by default and US discs are region 1, it's a different thing to the frequency and, as far as I can see, was brought in to stop mass importing of DVDs from other countries.

To see if your DVD is region free, or can be converted to region free have a look here. Converting usually means inputting a number code via the remote control which will change the player from region 2 to region 0 (which will play anything) or sometimes region 9, which is supposedly for use in aircraft but does the same job as region 0.

It seems as if the movie companies are finally waking up and thus the majority of Blu Ray discs are region free, even though the players still seem to be coded depending on where you bought them from.

Just follow that link and input the make and model number of your player into the search box.

EDIT - Sometimes things aren't quite so simple. I bought a Samsung player a few months ago and could only convert it to region free after downgrading the player's firmware.

Banned from Hollywood.
Not quite - Most DVD players can cope with NTSC and PAL signals (it's the frequency the picture is broadcast at) but very few are region free out of the box.

European DVDs are region 2 by default and US discs are region 1, it's a different thing to the frequency and, as far as I can see, was brought in to stop mass importing of DVDs from other countries.

To see if your DVD is region free, or can be converted to region free have a look here. Converting usually means inputting a number code via the remote control which will change the player from region 2 to region 0 (which will play anything) or sometimes region 9, which is supposedly for use in aircraft but does the same job as region 0.

It seems as if the movie companies are finally waking up and thus the majority of Blu Ray discs are region free, even though the players still seem to be coded depending on where you bought them from.

Just follow that link and input the make and model number of your player into the search box.

EDIT - Sometimes things aren't quite so simple. I bought a Samsung player a few months ago and could only convert it to region free after downgrading the player's firmware.

yeah i know about the region 2 you mention...it's the one on the back of DVDs with the earth and the number on it...

thanks for the information