Sonic The Hedgehog Movie

Tools    

While I was watching the trailer, all I kept thinking was 'what have they done to his face'?
He looks weird with two separate eyes, not sure why they changed that part of his face though.

I think two separate eyes would be a necessity for a live-action movie. I mean, vome on. Do you really wanna see one eye with two pupils in live-action?

This wouldn't be ten times awful if there's no Detective Pikachu in existence to compare.

Welcome to the human race...
Nah, this looks bad enough even without Detective Pikachu in the mix - even then, the key difference is that Detective Pikachu at least has the novelty of recreating a live-action version of the Pokémon universe whereas Sonic the Hedgehog looks like it's going to take place in a rather boring-looking real world that just so happens to have Sonic and Eggman in it.

2022 Mofo Fantasy Football Champ
This trailer made me chuckle several times but by far the best part is, "every hero has a genesis". The worst part of this existing is I have to try and keep my boys away from the trailer or risk seeing this thing. Although they haven't mentioned seeing Pokemon, thank God.
Have a little heart bro.

_____ is the most important thing in my life…
James Mardsen's career is the biggest mystery.

He's also pretty good, if we want to venture into talking about his talent level sometime after we've finished ascribing things to his race for no particular reason.

If you've seen 30 Rock you know he's pretty hilarious, for example, which seems like a necessary qualification for a goofy film like this one. Not sure if that falls under the "charismatic" handwave or not.

"Honor is not in the Weapon. It is in the Man"
I liked Marsden's take on Cyclops in the original X-Men films and he made a great Corny Collins in the Hairspray reboot.

How do you think the redesign of Sonic is going to look, as it has been confirmed the backlash has prompted the director to announce that Sonic will be redesigned?

If anything, I should've asked what exactly doubledenim found so mysterious about it and whether it's more that he ends up doing movies like this or that he gets work at all.

As for the replacement of the original design, I don't like the implication that they're likely to redo the entire design of the film's CGI protagonist with only six months until release - if they delay it, fine, but otherwise that sounds like too much hassle for animators (never mind the whole question of whether studios should cave this easily to complaints from the public in the first place).

A bucket of anxiety
I think two separate eyes would be a necessity for a live-action movie. I mean, vome on. Do you really wanna see one eye with two pupils in live-action?
I understand that choice, but they could've referenced the tons of characters who have their eyes separated.

I'm kinda terrified that if The Internet makes something their topic for the day creatives and/or studios will flip out and bow to whatever they're upset about, but this is mitigated by the fact that The Internet is probably right and the design was bad/weird, and didn't really look like Sonic probably should, so

28 days...6 hours...42 minutes...12 seconds
Some people are convinced they have the real character design already done and simply did this to generate marketing buzz. Then when they change the character people will think they really care about the fans.

It's an unnecessary stretch.

Suspect's Reviews

It seems vaguely plausible - it wouldn't surprise me if the original design got studio-noted to hell and back and the execs are only now realising their mistake - but yeah, the idea that they deliberately came up with an ugly design purely for one trailer is an absurd one (but again, not completely implausible).

I don't think it was nearly "wrong" enough to make me believe it was deliberate. Viral stuff (even bad viral stuff) isn't really predictable. And Sonic, in that trailer, looks exactly like what you'd expected a cute-ified Sonic to look like. I kinda get why they assumed the anime vibe on the video game version might not fly in live action, at first. Obviously needed to be closer to it, though.