A scary thing happened on the way to the Movie Forums - Horrorcrammers

Tools    

Having a Vincent Price night with my roommates tonight, not sure what's on the docket I'll report back with my thoughts on what we watched tomorrow, either way looking forward to it. One of my roommates also likes to make stuff from the Vincent Price's cookbooks so we'll have some on theme food also.

I told my parents about doing this marathon and mentioned The Pit and the Pendulum.

My dad said that when it was released and came to the theater in his town there was a big sign out from that read "No one may enter once the pendulum begins to swing!" and in front of the entrance to the theater itself was a huge pendulum that they would start swinging at the last 15 or so minutes of the film.

Victim of The Night
I think Martyrs is about as extreme as I'll go with horror films. I've seen one here and there (I Spit on Your Grave, What the Waters Left Behind) that got a bit worse and I really left both with a bad taste in my mouth. Unlike some other horror films that dive into the pleasures of pain, Martyrs at least had a point to it.

Saw the Bride of Frankenstein to kick things off for October and honestly, I think it might have been a victim of its own hype. I wasn't expecting it to be humorous, which it was. Nor was I expecting it to be an examination of a monster's attempts at humanity, which it was. Lugosi did a good job of expressing subtlety as the monster learns the joys of drink and good cigars. The choice of lighting by director James Whale really gave the film a great look that made it feel ominous.

But the last act felt a bit underwhelming and as short as it was, it felt a bit padded. That scene at the beginning, although it makes sense in the context of the film, almost felt like it got cobbled from another movie altogether.

It's a good sequel, of course. But one of the best monster movies of all time or better than the original? Slow your roll.
I am taken aback.
I consider it an unassailable movie, arguably the best horror film of its decade, and a Great Film to boot.
That said, maybe you saw a different cut than me, yours apparently had Bela Lugosi in it.

I told my parents about doing this marathon and mentioned The Pit and the Pendulum.

My dad said that when it was released and came to the theater in his town there was a big sign out from that read "No one may enter once the pendulum begins to swing!" and in front of the entrance to the theater itself was a huge pendulum that they would start swinging at the last 15 or so minutes of the film.
Very cool

Victim of The Night
We're doing Halloween tonight as part of a double-feature with a few people who are not really Horror fans but wanted to watch it.
Trying to pick a good second movie for the DF. Trying to come up with something fun and reliable.
Considering:
Trick 'r Treat (2007)
Vampire Circus
Fright Night
(the one that matters)
An American Werewolf In London
The Rocky Horror Picture Show
Bride Of Frankenstein
Scream
Abbott And Costello Meet Frankenstein
Cabin In The Woods
Return Of The Living Dead
Creepshow
(cockroach finale might be a bit much for this crowd, as we live in New Orleans)

Anybody got any other ideas?

We're doing Halloween tonight as part of a double-feature with a few people who are not really Horror fans but wanted to watch it.
Trying to pick a good second movie for the DF. Trying to come up with something fun and reliable.
Considering:
Trick 'r Treat (2007)
Vampire Circus
Fright Night
(the one that matters)
An American Werewolf In London
The Rocky Horror Picture Show
Bride Of Frankenstein
Scream
Abbott And Costello Meet Frankenstein
Cabin In The Woods
Return Of The Living Dead
Creepshow
(cockroach finale might be a bit much for this crowd, as we live in New Orleans)

Anybody got any other ideas?
Sleepy Hollow? We did it as a movie night recently and it was a huge smash.

Are you opposed to a horror comedy like Shaun of the Dead or What We Do in the Shadows?.

Or what about Candyman?

Somebody posted this list on Facebook with "great" horror (or similar) films from the last decade, and there are a bunch I either haven't seen or even heard about. So which ones get a "yay", which ones get a "nay"?

1. The Witch (Eggers, 2016)
  2. Midsommar (Aster, 2019)
  3. The Lighthouse (Eggers, 2019)
  4. Hereditary (Aster, 2018)
  5. Suspiria (Guadagnino, 2018)
  6. Errementari (Urkijo Alijo, 2018) - never heard of it
  7. Neon Demon (Refn, 2016)
  8. Sinister (Derrickson, 2012)
  9. A Quiet Place (Krasinski, 2018)
  10. Get Out (Peele, 2017)
  11. The Void (Kostanski & Gillespie, 2016)
  12. The Babadook (Kent, 2014)
  13. The Wailing (Na, 2016)
  14. It Follows (Mitchell, 2015)
  15. I Saw the Devil (Kim, 2010)
  16. What We Do in The Shadows (Waititi & Clement, 2014)
  17. A Girl Walks Home Alone at Night (Amirpour, 2014) - never heard of it
  18. Under the Shadow (Anvari, 2016) - never heard of it
  19. Annihilation (Garland, 2018)
  20. Bone Tomahawk (Zahler, 2015)
  21. Mandy (Cosmatos, 2018)
  22. The Skin I Live In (Almodóvar, 2011)
  23. Take Shelter (Nichols, 2011)
  24. Upgrade (Wannell, 2018)
  25. 10 Cloverfield Lane (Trachtenberg, 2016)
  26. Climax (Noé, 2018)
  27. Shin Godzilla (Anno & Higuchi, 2016)
  28. Under the Skin (Glazer, 2014)
  29. Green Room (Saulnier, 2016)
  30. Train to Busan (Yeon, 2016)
  31. Aterrados (Rugna, 2017) - never heard of it
  32. One Cut of the Dead (Ueda, 2017)
  33. Incident in a Ghost Land (Laugier, 2018) - never heard of it
  34. Crimson Peak (Del Toro, 2015)
  35. Come to Daddy (Timpson, 2019) - never heard of it
  36. Color Out of Space (Stanley, 2020)
  37. Raw (Ducournau, 2017)

I don't think the list is in any order. Anyway, I've seen the ones in bold.

The VVitch
Hereditary
Neon Demon (I love this one so, so much)
Babadook
It Follows
Take Shelter
Shin Godzilla (Barely horror but it's a solid A+)
Raw

Are strong yays.

The Void
The Lighthouse
Sinister
10 Cloverfield Lane
Aterrados
Under The Shadows

Are maybes. I didn't love Atterados throughout, but its strong parts are so strong that I would recommend it anyway. It's on amazon if you want to watch it.

Crimson Peak is absolute trash and doesn't even belong near a passable movies list.

Somebody posted this list on Facebook with "great" horror (or similar) films from the last decade, and there are a bunch I either haven't seen or even heard about. So which ones get a "yay", which ones get a "nay"?
Strong YAY

The Skin I Live In--to go along with our other current discussion, this one is not a horror to me. It's a thriller/drama. It's a Spanish film based on a French short novel (and it departs significantly from the novel, which I read many years ago). The acting is great, as is the direction. Highly recommended.

Upgrade--The film that Leigh Whannell made before The Invisible Man. Again: horror? Eh. I'd consider it more of a bloody action/sci-fi film. It's about a man who agrees to get an "operating system" installed in his body to get revenge on the people who killed his wife.

Under the Skin--Again: horror? Okay. I consider this one a sci-fi/drama. Scarlett Johansson stars as an alien disguised as a woman whose job is to capture men for some ambiguous purpose. Visually stunning, great lead performance, and a sequence that I think is top tier visual storytelling (the "beach scene" for those of you who have seen it). The ending is slightly garbage, and in fact the movie kind of loses its way in the last 20 minutes or so. Still, highly recommended.

A Girl Walks Home Alone at Night--Stylish Iranian vampire film. I think that some of the political allusions went over my head, but that doesn't harm the film at all. Very compelling and *different* in a good way.

It Follows--A divisive film, probably just because it was so hyped which immediately turned into backlash. I really like it. Good performances and an original concept for a monster. I even think that it nails the landing at the end.

Strong NAY

Come to Daddy--I love Elijah Wood and Stephen McHattie. So I can't say it's the worst film I've seen this year. But it is awful. And you can tell that it thinks it's ~quirky~ and ~different~ ("Look--a penis!" was a visual joke so good they felt the need to use it twice), and it is SO PAINFUL. Bless the actors, who try their hardest.

MEH

[b]Crimson Peak[b] is a throwback Gothic horror that can't quite get things totally right. Solid performances, but it lacks some element of grit or something.

Under the Shadow--Strongly hyped Iranian film that left me a little cold ultimately. Not bad, just lacking something for me.

I Saw the Devil--MKS isn't here to defend this one, mwa ha ha!! Again: horror? This is a film about a man whose wife is murdered by a brutal serial killer. He manages to catch up to the killer, but decides that he wants the man to suffer and so initiates a game of cat and mouse. You know that quote about those who fight monsters must take care not to become one? That's the film in a nutshell, and yet after the point has well been made the movie just . . . keeps going. It's very well made, but it failed to engage me on an empathy level and at a certain point I was just sitting back bleakly waiting to see how much more carnage there would be before it was over.

The Wailing--A supernatural South Korean horror about a police detective trying to understand strange events in his town and, eventually, his own family. But other people would probably give this one a strong yay. I don't know why it didn't click with me.

The Void--Rated it a 7/10 on IMDb, but I don't remember much about it? Evil is afoot at an isolated hospital. Robed figures. Tentacles. Solid overall, but clearly not super memorable!

Neon Demon--Horror taking aim at the world of fashion/Hollywood. A handful of really memorable moments (including some creepy stuff from Keanu Reeves in a supporting role), and some fun, gross body horror stuff. I liked parts of it but didn't love it overall.

Heard Good Things about:
Raw
One Cut of the Dead

Heard Mixed Things about:
Color Out of Space

Creepshow (cockroach finale might be a bit much for this crowd, as we live in New Orleans)
I finally saw this for the first time and had a lot of fun. My favorite story is Stephen King's, which is like a mashup of One Froggy Evening and Color Out of Space. It may be even better than Richard Stanley's version. Plus, King is hilarious in the part. He should act more.

I just watched Color out of Space, trippy cosmic horror based on Lovecraft and starring Nic Cage. Some fantastic cinematography at work here. I don’t really know if I liked the movie but it was definitely interesting.

These are my Letterboxd scores for the ones you haven't seen.

Suspiria (Guadagnino, 2018) 3-1/2
Errementari (Urkijo Alijo, 2018) 3-1/2
Neon Demon (Refn, 2016) 4
The Void (Kostanski & Gillespie, 2016) 3
The Wailing (Na, 2016) 3-1/2
It Follows (Mitchell, 2015) 4
I Saw the Devil (Kim, 2010) 3
A Girl Walks Home Alone at Night (Amirpour, 2014) 3
Under the Shadow (Anvari, 2016) 3-1/2
Upgrade (Wannell, 2018) 3-1/2
Shin Godzilla (Anno & Higuchi, 2016) 4
Under the Skin (Glazer, 2014) 3
Incident in a Ghost Land (Laugier, 2018) 4
Crimson Peak (Del Toro, 2015) 3-1/2
Color Out of Space (Stanley, 2020) 3
Raw (Ducournau, 2017) 3-1/2

4 = liked a lot
3.5 = liked
3 = didn't hate

Surprised you haven't seen It Follows, that one was discussed ad nauseum at one of our previous homes.

From the ones you haven't seen in very loose order as it's been years since saw some of them ( = yay, = watchable, = nay)...

Aterrados (Rugna, 2017) a sort of haunted house thing that's actually rather spooky
Errementari (Urkijo Alijo, 2018) more like dark fantasy than horror
A Girl Walks Home Alone at Night (Amirpour, 2014) a bit artsy vampire flick but rather enjoyable

Upgrade (Wannell, 2018) more like scifi action meets The Twilight Zone
The Void (Kostanski & Gillespie, 2016) lots of potential but the script wasn't on par with the hype
The Skin I Live In (Almodóvar, 2011) weird and illogical but apparently that's to be expected from Almodóvar
I Saw the Devil (Kim, 2010) I think I didn't like the ending but it's been a while
The Wailing (Na, 2016) has some good parts and has some stupidly goofy parts that don't fit together
Crimson Peak (Del Toro, 2015) pretty but hollow
Color Out of Space (Stanley, 2020) it's watchable because its a HPL film

Neon Demon (Refn, 2016) watch Liquid Sky instead
Suspiria (Guadagnino, 2018) boring and pointless remake

These I haven't seen but they're on my watchlist so at least I have some expectations towards them:
Under the Shadow (Anvari, 2016)
Climax (Noé, 2018)
Incident in a Ghost Land (Laugier, 2018)

Victim of The Night
Sleepy Hollow? We did it as a movie night recently and it was a huge smash.

Are you opposed to a horror comedy like Shaun of the Dead or What We Do in the Shadows?.

Or what about Candyman?
Tak, you'll be happy to know that Vampire Circus was chosen and was, based on early feedback, a hit.

Victim of The Night

1. It Follows (Mitchell, 2015)
  2. A Girl Walks Home Alone at Night (Amirpour, 2014) - never heard of it

I don't think the list is in any order. Anyway, I've seen the ones in bold.
I would say you should outright skip Crimson Peak or certainly not put much effort into it, maybe a Sunday afternoon when you have nothing to do.
The Void has charms worth seeing but is not really a completely good movie.
You should really see the two above, particularly AGWHAaN, which I think is better than Near Dark, fwiw. I feel like you'll understand what I mean.

Victim of The Night
I finally saw this for the first time and had a lot of fun. My favorite story is Stephen King's, which is like a mashup of One Froggy Evening and Color Out of Space. It may be even better than Richard Stanley's version. Plus, King is hilarious in the part. He should act more.
Really, I remember for years that was the segment people didn't like, which is absurd. It's so great, especially his fantasy about going to see the doctor.
They're really all good, honestly, I don't think there's a weak one, but I probably wouldn't have ended with the cockroaches.