The Movie Forums Top 100 of All-Time Refresh

→ in
Tools    

Anyone want to place bets on how many new films will enter the list (from 2010)?

I say 38

Looking at the last list, I think we'll see lots of changes. Some changes in the top 10 even. I won't be specific, don't wanna influence too much, but yeah, I think we'll see a significantly different (and, IMO, better) list.

I can spot a 'nod, nod, wink wink' when I see one ..... I'll have the mortgage on over 97 1/2

That should be Christmas sorted this year

That elusive hide-and-seek cow is at it again
a solid 35 going down to 25. y'all making my brain hurts. I have half a mind to throw The Disaster Artist in as my #1.

>=\

"Ever try to forcibly pin down a house cat? It's not easy." - Captain Steel

"I just can't get pass sticking a finger up a dog's butt." - John Dumbear

I'd be surprised if more than seven of my films show up, but without giving too much away here are two films from my list that perhaps you haven't seen but I highly recommend

The Florida Project
Sean Baker's The Florida Project is an innovative film, brilliantly bringing the audience into the lives of the poor American. This ain't a blue collar film, or one of the working class, this film portrays the no collar. A minor, but aesthetically familiar, subgroup of American culture. However the film is effectively portrayed through a lens that's the any person has seen life through, regardless of class, the innocent perspective of a young child. There's no overbearing message the film tries to push on the audience, but there's a key lesson to take away on simplifying people. Moonee's mom, Halley, really fits the look of an irresponsible impoverished single mother who whores herself out. And she is, she's hotheaded, self-centered entitled, petty,a poor role model, and edges negligent. On the other hand she's social, appreciative, a hustler, and she cares about those close to her. She's no supermom but it's clear that she loves her daughter. Baker doesn't care about the poor decisions Halley undoubtedly made to get in this position, or the unfair outstanding circumstances in her life. The film looks at none of this, it's truly just a glimpse in the life of Halley and her daughter through a hot Florida summer.

Brilliantly the film puts as much focus, and same style, on the significant moments and the daily events surrounding the summer. A house burning down and 3 kids getting ice cream gets the same attention, and focus on detail. It's shot- well like, life itself. No unnecessary dramatization. Similarly Baker didn't follow a trend that's common in realism works like this one. The film covers many dark topics and their consequences, but none of these are glamorized with graphic on screen sex, or abuse, or violence. It's all in the implications, and the subtle human emotion surrounding these events.

I reckon most audience members relate most to Bobby, brilliantly portrayed by WIlliam Dafoe, since most audience members are Bobby. A caring observer with only so much power. Baker doesn't ask you to judge, or critique, or understand the characters. Just like Bobby this film drags you in to the lives of these characters as an observer, who will smile, laugh, and maybe cry with them. And just when you feel like you've known these people your whole life, poof their gone, their story will continue out of your sight (Just like with Bobby).

A uniquely human piece, that accomplishes so much while doing so little.

Knife in the Water (Polanski, 1962)

What a brilliant film. With three isolated characters, Knife in the Water builds a tension that can not be imitated by anyone but the master himself, Polanski. A well established-but obviously flawed- married couple pick up a young hitchhiker, and take him along on their boat for a sailing trip. The divide between classes is immediately evident. The film was made in Poland's communist era, owning a private car is a new concept and by any nations standard the couple is wealthy. There are sly remarks exchanged about age, but what's really being taunted is prosperity. The tension is so thick in the opening scenes you can cut it with a knife . You'd think a love triangle has already been in play that the audience is just unbeknownst too. But despite the tension and the discreet cruelty there's something so beautiful and serene about the sailing trip. Despite the build up suggesting a storm, the calming eastern-European setting was so free that I would have happily joined. Adding to the beauty is the cinematography which is the best I've ever seen. It's minimalist but every shot is beautiful, which is to be expected with Polanski's perfectionist mentality. But not only beautifully shot, the camera work is equally symbolic with its constant showing of exclusion. There's rarely a scene where the three, yes only three, cast members are together. It's usually 2 vs 1.

I also realized in this film how well Polanski incorporates props. For a long time I have considered Persona the best film in that regard, Knife in the Water takes the cake. Whether it's Andrjez watch, the upscale robes, the alarm clock, the pipe, the Crocodile floaty, the instruments of the ship, the hot soup, the liquor. Everything is in place and serves a purpose. Especially the knife, which is just as essential to the film as any of the characters. The film has a theme of materialism, and it seems Polanski's a very materialistic man himself. This can really be seen in his recent feature, Venus in Fur. The economic statement in this film was deemed "too western" for Polish audiences, but I believe the statements on hard work, bravery, and climbing up the ladder is a great one.

Outside of economic themes there are plenty of other ideas, often revolving around eroticism, but another interesting study in this film is that of masculinity. The two male characters constantly one up each other. It begins as man of sea vs man of land and evolves from there to general bravery. The shirts literally come off, and it's implied that this is to impress the center female figure, who is by far the wisest character of the film. But she's rather stoic if not irritated by this, she does not care who the "skipper" is, and often volunteers to be submissive to both of her fellow sailors instead of idly watching the fiasco. The film is very psychological in its questioning of actions- far more complex than Rosemary's Baby. (Which isn't a sly to the classic horror film, but more a compliment to this thriller). The story ends right where it began, with the couple bickering in their car. Despite the destructiveness and deception, what has changed?

Perhaps in the 25 best films I've ever seen

Just sent. Since I joined the forum in 2012 I noticed that my top 25 list hasn't changed much, it also only includes one movie released in the last decade and only 3 movies from the 21st century, earliest from 1948, last from 2016.

We've gone on holiday by mistake
Can someone provide a link to the last Top 100 list? I've searched for it but can't find it. Thanks.
Bottom of the previous page of this very thread! I couldn't find with a search either.