Rate The Last Movie You Saw

Tools    

Night Moves (2013)

Thriller about 3 environmentalists who bomb a dam that they believe is ruining their immediate environment and the repercussions of their actions. Well plotted and paced and a bit of an open ending. Maybe a bit unrealistic in that the idealists (bar the Peter Sarsgaard character) seem terribly naive about the punishment they will receive, if caught, till after the incident. Surely they would have known the gravity of blowing up a dam!

I think that the idea is that
WARNING: spoilers below
they weren't planning to hurt anyone. The difference between destroying property and killing someone is big and brings a lot more scrutiny to what they did.

I think that the guy dying definitely makes it "real" for the activists. I think that they genuinely believe they will get away with it, and the combined anxiety about getting caught and the guilt of having killed a person is what brings them back to reality.

Bright light. Bright light. Uh oh.

The Girl He Left Behind (David Butler, 1956)
5.5/10
The Swamp (Daniel DiMauro & Morgan Pehme, 2020)
6.5/10
Quest of the Delta Knights (James Dodson, 1993)
4/10
The One and Only Ivan (Thea Sharrock, 2020)
+ 6/10

Tvan (Sam Rockwell) and Bob (Danny DeVito) share a moment of freedom.
Suburban Wildlife (Imogen McCluskey, 2019)
+ 5/10
The Sleepover (Trish Sie, 2020)
.6/10
The Rebel Rousers (Martin B. Cohen, 1970)
+ 4.5/10
The Apollo (Roger Ross Williams, 2019)
7/10

Everything you always wanted to know about Harlem's Apollo Theater and who played there.
The Hedonists (Jia Zhang-ke, 2016)
6/10
Dark Forces (Bernardo Arellano, 2020)
+ 4.5/10
Class of '83 (Atul Sabharwal, 2020)
+ 6/10
Mumsy, Nanny, Sonny & Girly (Freddie Francis, 1970)
- 6.5/10

Mumsy (Ursula Howells) and Girly (Vanessa Howard) have different ideas about the best use for an axe.
Long Gone By (Andrew Morgan, 2019)
5.5/10
Merlin's Shop of Mystical Wonders (Kenneth J. Berton, 1996)
4/10
The Reports on Sarah and Saleem (Muayad Alayan, 2018)
+ 6/10
Mommy Dead and Dearest (Erin Lee Carr, 2017)
+ 6.5/10

So many child abuse docs out there but this is one of the strangest.
Background to Danger (Raoul Walsh, 1943)
6/10
Loan Shark (Seymour Friedman, 1952)
+ 5/10
Indianara (Aude Chevalier-Beaumel & Marcelo Barbosa, 2019)
6/10
Pride & Prejudice (Joe Wright, 2005)
+ 7.5/10

Keira Knightley and Matthew Macfadyen dance in a very visceral adaptation.

The Burnt Orange Heresy
(2019)

Although the trailer was interesting, I was a little skeptical of the film due to
its mediocre ratings. But surprisingly it was a bit of a diamond in the rough, likely foiled in its release plans due to the covid mess.

Featuring a well put together cast of Claes Bang, Elizabeth Debicki, Donald Sutherland, and Mick Jagger (who was actually very good), the story presented an art critic of questionable morals
(and a lover/girlfriend of questionable background), who is summoned by a famous art collector with questionable scruples, who wants to acquire a painting by a famous artist whose recent work is of questionable existence.

The story holds one’s interest, but there were several demerits from me. First, much of the dialogue between the artist and anyone else, and likewise some of Jagger’s dialogue was pretentious. No one speaks conversationally in perfectly formed sentences full of formalized or “delicatessen” vocabulary. Second, the story jumped ahead a little quickly, e.g. the critic evidently had a speed pill habit which eventually caused him to commit some fairly horrific crimes. One had to understand that in order to accept the action.

But the acting was first rate, and the chemistry between Debicki and Bang (who is Danish) was palpably authentic, especially on her part. Debicki is a giraffe-like statuesque beauty, who at 6’ 2” probably has trouble getting romantic parts. Happily Bang is 6’ 4”, so it never became a noticeable issue. Jagger astonished me by seeming to be a pro actor, and it was good casting
for his part as well. Sutherland mailed in his eccentric artist role, replete with the silly scarves he likes to wear. He did manage to rise above his dialogue, and bring off the part.

The movie transforms into a crime thriller in it’s last third, and finishes up with a nice little twist ala Hitchcock: a surpisingly watchable film.

Doc’s rating: 6.5/10

The Girl He Left Behind (David Butler, 1956)
5.5/10
The Swamp (Daniel DiMauro & Morgan Pehme, 2020)
6.5/10
Quest of the Delta Knights (James Dodson, 1993)
4/10
The One and Only Ivan (Thea Sharrock, 2020)
+ 6/10

Tvan (Sam Rockwell) and Bob (Danny DeVito) share a moment of freedom.
Suburban Wildlife (Imogen McCluskey, 2019)
+ 5/10
The Sleepover (Trish Sie, 2020)
.6/10
The Rebel Rousers (Martin B. Cohen, 1970)
+ 4.5/10
The Apollo (Roger Ross Williams, 2019)
7/10

Everything you always wanted to know about Harlem's Apollo Theater and who played there.
The Hedonists (Jia Zhang-ke, 2016)
6/10
Dark Forces (Bernardo Arellano, 2020)
+ 4.5/10
Class of '83 (Atul Sabharwal, 2020)
+ 6/10
Mumsy, Nanny, Sonny & Girly (Freddie Francis, 1970)
- 6.5/10

Mumsy (Ursula Howells) and Girly (Vanessa Howard) have different ideas about the best use for an axe.
Long Gone By (Andrew Morgan, 2019)
5.5/10
Merlin's Shop of Mystical Wonders (Kenneth J. Berton, 1996)
4/10
The Reports on Sarah and Saleem (Muayad Alayan, 2018)
+ 6/10
Mommy Dead and Dearest (Erin Lee Carr, 2017)
+ 6.5/10

So many child abuse docs out there but this is one of the strangest.
Background to Danger (Raoul Walsh, 1943)
6/10
Loan Shark (Seymour Friedman, 1952)
+ 5/10
Indianara (Aude Chevalier-Beaumel & Marcelo Barbosa, 2019)
6/10
Pride & Prejudice (Joe Wright, 2005)
+ 7.5/10

Keira Knightley and Matthew Macfadyen dance in a very visceral adaptation.

I've been participating in this thread for a while now and I've noticed you post like 20 reviews every couple of days. You are a movie watching machine Mark... How do you find the time?

Bright light. Bright light. Uh oh.
I've been participating in this thread for a while now and I've noticed you post like 20 reviews every couple of days. You are a movie watching machine Mark... How do you find the time?
I had a stroke in 2013 which basically left my right side frozen and have been bedridden since. It's all movies except for watching some baseball, news and late night.

Last few:

The Hitch-Hiker 1953
Decent noir-ish film inspired by a true crime spree. Must watch more Ida Lupino.

Last Year at Marienbad 1961
I'm not particularly sure what this film was about (time? memory? lost love?) but it looked beautiful.

Rumble Fish 1983
Filled a gap in my FFC list. Very cool movie. Mickey Rourke was effortlessly awesome. And Diane Lane - wowzers. Must watch The Outsiders now.

Girlhood 2014
Celine Sciamma is one of the best directors working today. I've now watched her complete filmography, and whilst this isn't as good as Portrait of a Lady, it's directed so well. Sciamma captures the big moments of youth so well. Those huge moments that make memories - she did it so well in Tomboy and Water Lillies and again here - Girlhood depicts the dilemmas and struggles that come with being young and poor. Great film.

Never Rarely Sometimes Always (2020)

A teen deals with an unwanted pregnancy, not much of a story and even though I didn't see anything original or memorable about it, it was pretty good. I think it could've used a little more balance with it's portrayal of how women are treated by men. The director is probably a liberal feminist.
Best film of 2020 for me. The long take scene I thought was extraordinary. Sidney Flannigan has never acted before this. Unbelievable.

I think that the idea is that
WARNING: spoilers below
they weren't planning to hurt anyone. The difference between destroying property and killing someone is big and brings a lot more scrutiny to what they did.

I think that the guy dying definitely makes it "real" for the activists. I think that they genuinely believe they will get away with it, and the combined anxiety about getting caught and the guilt of having killed a person is what brings them back to reality.
Agree but there was some giveaways...

The Way Back (2020)

Good sports and personal film about a washed up ex basketball player with a drink problem taking over the team of his alma mater. Honestly, I expected less but Ben Affleck's performance pulls this out of the mundane. It's rather predictable but has it's own charm and takes a place amongst good other underdog films.

Last Year at Marienbad 1961
I'm not particularly sure what this film was about (time? memory? lost love?) but it looked beautiful.
Never figured out this movie & never finished it.

I had a stroke in 2013 which basically left my right side frozen and have been bedridden since. It's all movies except for watching some baseball, news and late night.

Sorry to hear that. At least with all the streaming services you have a ton of quality films and TV shows to keep you entertained.

The Way Back (2020)

Good sports and personal film about a washed up ex basketball player with a drink problem taking over the team of his alma mater. Honestly, I expected less but Ben Affleck's performance pulls this out of the mundane. It's rather predictable but has it's own charm and takes a place amongst good other underdog films.
I agree. I enjoyed it.

Agree but there was some giveaways...
I think that they were just naive about the situation.

From their point of view, they are morally right. Frankly I think that a lot of middle class white people in the US just have no conception of actually being involved in the criminal justice system, especially if you don't hurt someone. The reality of years in prison is something that I don't think they'd genuinely considered, even for property damage.

There's definitely an ego-centrism involved, as well, and you really see that in the very end.

Les dimanches de Ville d'Avray [Sundays and Cybčle] (Serge Bourguignon, 1962)

WARNING: "PG-13 security measure" spoilers below
More than just a tale of a young girl desiring cock

WARNING: "PG-13 security measure" spoilers below" spoilers below

Oh my.