MCU Movies = for kids?

Tools    

I think Marvel movies have taken a dive with the MCU actually, because superheroes are interesting when the story can concentrate solely on them and their stories. By throwing a whole group into the pot and just keep adding more and more characters, the quality suffers I feel and the last great Marvel movie was probably the first Iron Man in my opinion. There was a little MCU in there which could have been taken out, but it wasn't much.
Iron Man was great.

I find the oversaturation of the MCU and DCU offputting. For example I think it's a real shame that Man of Steel 2 couldn't have been made before the Justice League story kicked in. There you had a good new Superman in Henry Cavill who couldn't bed in properly before being swamped by the rest of the merchandising machine.

I was repelled by the direction of X-Men after First Class for similar reasons and I was pleased to hear that Matthew Vaughn didn't think that Days of Future Past would have been his idea for the sequel, had he been making it. He did, however suggest it could have been the third one.

Di je Karlo?
I blame Disney. They turn all of their movies into inoffensive limp-dick garbage because they think it'll sell better.

Take a look at the original Iron Man. It was light-hearted and campy, but it also featured muslim extremists (though they were never referred to as such) and wasn't afraid to adress the issues of America's involvement in Iraq. A Disney movie would never do that. They did the same **** to Star Wars and Pixar.

Though, to be fair, Winter Soldier and Spiderman Homecoming were both pretty good.

Welcome to the human race...
I think it's more that they're generally prohibited from buying tickets to R-rated movies without adult supervision (hence why the R stands for Restricted) and most parents/guardians won't show their children age-inappropriate content so it makes financial sense to aim for lower ratings that'll allow for a wider range of paying customers.

Also, given that Iron Man's original backstory had him being captured by the Viet Cong, it's just a matter of updating it accordingly (and even then it had the reveal that said extremists were being supplied and controlled by an American executive from the military-industrial complex but that's still questionable because guess who controls which movies get to feature military hardware?) Hell, The Last Jedi even dedicated an entire sub-plot to criticising the ethics of war profiteering.

The truth is in here
They have death, destruction, and there are scenes with limbs being ripped off... albeit with the actual removal of limbs being off-camera.
The whole point being: If you show the head, arm, leg, whatever, being removed in slow motion and in extreme close up, you may as well stick to watching crap like Hostel or one of the 27,000 Saw sequels.
There's a difference between depicting realistic violence in crucial scenes where lives are jeopardized, and a movie where the whole point is just the violence itself. I don't think anyone happy for an R-rated superhero movie wants it to be like Hostel.

Di je Karlo?
Of course that'd make sense in theory, but in practice, it's really not a big deal. Deadpool 2, for example, made over 700 million worldwide.

I don't see what point you're trying to make with that comment about Obadiah Stane. Iron Man acknowledged the existence of extremists, as well as the people who supply them. How does that disprove my point?

Another point is that some comics are better being R rated, because that is the nature of the particular comic itself.

Deadpool was always more oriented to adults.
Wolverine screamed out for an R rating considering the nature of the character.
The Crow too. Dark, gritty, and the story based around revenge against murder and rape.
Dredd definitely needs to be rated R.

Iron Man, Captain America, Thor... the source material, though occasionally risqué for a comic mainly aimed at under 18s, simply wouldn't work if rated R.

This is where I think the DCEU has failed.
I think Batman should get an R rated movie... Superman, not so. This is also a major point of characterisation for those two superheroes... they're chalk and cheese... which is exactly why the comics worked so well when they were put together on paper.
But with the DC comics themselves being so disparate in tone, it makes it difficult to strike a balance on screen that satisfies the audience.
Do we have a more grown up Batman film, and a 12 rated Superman film?
And yet somehow put them both together on screen?
How would the tone work, cinematically, if one character is from an adult oriented movie, and the other was from a kid friendly movie

Marvel has seemingly struck this balance. They have colourful CGI adventures, with the odd risqué scene thrown in.
The people behind the DC movies, have seemingly missed the whole point of their characters.

Welcome to the human race...
Yeah well there's no telling how much of that $700m came from children anyway.

I brought it up because I question whether the original Iron Man actually "addressed extremists" beyond simply swapping them in for Viet Cong because they're America's current Big Enemy and eventually discarding them in favour of bigger threats as the film (and franchise) progressed. In any case, seems a little unfair to level that complaint at Star Wars considering that it's set in another galaxy.

I think Marvel movies have taken a dive with the MCU actually, because superheroes are interesting when the story can concentrate solely on them and their stories. By throwing a whole group into the pot and just keep adding more and more characters, the quality suffers I feel and the last great Marvel movie was probably the first Iron Man in my opinion. There was a little MCU in there which could have been taken out, but it wasn't much.

The Amazing Spider-man was (2012), was pretty good as well, and even though it gets a lot of bashing, at least it was a straight up superhero story on it's own, without any MCU in it.
Honestly I tend to take exactly the reverse view, the bane of superhero films was that they were forever locked into telling and retelling origin stories that typically followed the same wish fulfilment formula time and again. I mean yes there were films like Superman and Batman Begins that did so well but many others less so for me.

Obviously the MCU started off in a similar kind of style and whilst the original Ironman was again a well done origin story I would say generally I wasn't strongly grabbed by the franchise in tis early years. By the time we got to around 2014 though I think Marvel had the advantage of many well established plots and characters plus into films like Guardians that introduced them without being origin stories.

Movie Forums Squirrel Jumper
Oh okay, I actually felt that was a possible problem with Guardians of the Galaxy, is that I felt the main character background was a bit flimsy and left me asking some questions in the end, and felt I could have done with more of an introduction. I guess I just really like a good origin story.

But I hate how they rebooted Spider-man for the third time now, just let it go Marvel...

I don't get why a lot of moviegoers want R rated Marvel movies.

An R movie that is based off a comic book movie for KIDS, is like having a PG-13 Sesame Street movie.
This was the whole premise of the musical Avenue Q.

Are kids actually reading these comics?

I liked Captain America as the most aesthetically interesting.

Just watched the movie for the very first time in my life. On blu-ray, alone.

It's a masterpiece. Brilliant. It TRULY captures the essence of the old 1970-1980s Marvel Comics. Too bad the Fantastic Four are not part of this, because they were the pivotal "cohesive" figure in the entire Marvel Universe and they deserved to be among the forefront characters as well.

The final sequences just gave me chills down my spine and made me cry.

It's a superb movie, an ARTSY movie despite the action scenes and the "mainstream" nature, and I would say that it is the MARVEL MOVIE anyone dreamed of since 2008.

I cannot wait about the time travelling on Part 4, being a huge time travel fan as you already know.

10/10 and even millions of light years ahead Avengers 1.