Television Tab

Tools    

I only watched this for Julia Garner.
You really have to see her in this movie. I loved it.

Modern Love (2019)

I've seen Garner do a few things with Shea Whigham, but this was the closest I've seen them together. Both of them delivered strong performances. The episode revolved around them having an awkward affair. It wasn't cliche, but actually went in an unexpected direction.

You recommended that to me already, and I reviewed it.
You have a single review this year & it’s not for this movie.

The truth is in here
Scrubs - My Bed Banter & Beyond

J.D. constantly tries to save the mood with his jokes while Elliot gets impatient since in her eyes he refuses to take anything seriously.
These sections are the hardest to watch since it's something you've seen so many times. Couples get into these little arguments with each other where it seems like every facial expression or sentence keeps making it worse. No apologies, the arguments only escalate.

And with no resolution to these problems, it all comes crashing down.

The scenes with staff from the hospital getting interviewed where they talk about what made them want to work here, their personal tribulations and general thoughts on life and relationship connect very well to the overarching theme of the episode, as well as give you some interesting insight to the characters' minds.

Bob Kelso's are the funniest ones. His line about calling someone Shelly because she lives in a shell, where according to him "She laughed so hard she cried a bit." isn't immediately hilarious but a clever bit of dark humor.

Dr. Cox provides the biggest amount of wisdom. He confesses that all the times he talked down his wife, he thought that was supposed to be part of what marriage is. It's really heartbreaking.

He also reiterates however that even during the most hellish momenta during a relationship, you can still make it work if you know ho break up the tension with just the right words. Words that remind you of why you love each other in the first place, how the temporary pain can be worth it if you genuinely care about each other.

The present scenes and interviews are interspersed with flashbacks to J.D. and Elliot being in bed all day. At the end, when it's so late it's almost a *new* day, they say goodbye to each other. Both are confident this new relationship is going to be great.

I cried. Hard.

“I was cured, all right!”

SEASON 1 -

Reality show about brazilian police operations and they routine. Excellent way to see how the crime culture is huge around here. Watched on Prime Video, not sure if it's available in other countries, but I hope so.

Pennyworth Season 1

A prequel to Gotham following the adventures of Alfred Pennyworth in England. It's sort of similar to all "edgy" comics adaptations of late like The Boys and Hunters. It throws its dark themes away by being way too quirky and comedic and doesn't seem to know where it wants to go. The political background is extremely thin, there are pointless sub-plots (like Crowley), and I don't think it was necessary to turn Alfred into some Bond-level savior of the Queen and country.

You can't make a rainbow without a little rain.
Pennyworth Season 1

A prequel to Gotham following the adventures of Alfred Pennyworth in England. It's sort of similar to all "edgy" comics adaptations of late like The Boys and Hunters. It throws its dark themes away by being way too quirky and comedic and doesn't seem to know where it wants to go. The political background is extremely thin, there are pointless sub-plots (like Crowley), and I don't think it was necessary to turn Alfred into some Bond-level savior of the Queen and country.

Hubby and I watched the first episode of "Pennyworth", but it was so bad that we gave up after that episode. From your review, it sounds like we made the right decision.

True Detective Season 1

I'm a "little" late to this party. This was mentioned in a Finnish horror podcast in relation to Lovecraftian cosmic horror so it got pushed up in my watchlist. There's lots of good in this, but I don't necessarily agree with the full force of the hype train. It does the time split between "then" and "now" pretty well, and the case builds up nicely. The ending doesn't resolve much, and I'm slightly disappointed that the later seasons are not related to this at all.

McConaughey and Harrelson are great. Stylistically it's another great example of why having just one writer and director for a show is a good thing. I think Pizzolatto uses his "the joke" too much and the contrast of actual shown events and the testimonies of different people get slightly tiresome. I wished there was more cosmic horror than the namedropping of the Yellow King and Carcosa.

maybe even 4/5, not sure yet yeah, 4/5 seems more appropriate

Falling into a sinkhole of reality tv.
My wife watches this too, I catch an episode every now and then. Right now were watching the season with Chantel and Pedro, it's hilarious!

My wife watches this too, I catch an episode every now and then. Right now were watching the season with Chantel and Pedro, it's hilarious!
I’m watching the latest season of this, but don’t think I will watch any more seasons.

My latest obsession is Married at First Sight. So ridiculous & entertaining.

I’m watching the latest season of this, but don’t think I will watch any more seasons.

My latest obsession is Married at First Sight. So ridiculous & entertaining.
Coincidence, someone recommended Married at First Sight to us last weekend, so that one is next.

The truth is in here
SpongeBob SquarePants - Picture Day/Pat No Pay/Blackjack

Picture Day:

SpongeBob is really excited, 'cause this is the day where everybody gets their picture taken at the boating school. But like some force of nature is controlling it, he can't seem to keep himself clean...

This is one of the few boating school stories not centered around driving (possibly the first one since Clams), and it has a lot of entertaining visual humor throughout. SpongeBob having to go through the entire routine of getting clean thrice (and painting more stripes on his socks every time for some reason), and the various predicaments which gets him dirtied up are all very funny. The best part is when he covers himself with Sponge Gloss to keep himself from getting exposed to filth, and he comments on how shiny the boating school looks. Then, out of nowhere, the sun comes out reflecting its beam on the gloss and blinding a truck driver who crashes and spills water on SpongeBob. It's funnily done cause-and-effect humor.

When Patrick comes over to his house and licks a jelly jar clean he actually gets the pretty smart idea to contain himself in it and let Pat carry him to school so he'll be completely safe. But alas, the dumb starfish forgets that SpongeBob's in there and mistakes him for jelly. He puts him in the taco and once again he's all... soiled. Damn, you really feel bad for the guy.

I love the fact that once he gets ready to have his picture taken (or well, he has no choice rather), we get an amusing nod to Julien Donkey-Boy, with the photographer substituting for Werner Herzog. It's such a strange reference, yet feels entirely befitting of this series.

The final shot of SpongeBob's forced smile in a picture book with rather creepy-looking people wearing similar smiles is a nice ending.

My only flaw is that Patrick is annoyingly stupid when he forgets he put SpongeBob in the jar. He's not dimwitted to unbearable levels yet, but they're pushing it a bit.

Pat No Pay:

Patrick comes into the Krusty Krab starving, promising that he will pay for all of it once he's done. But unsurprisingly he doesnt live up to it, so Krabs orders him to pay off the debt with work instead.

Not much to say. It's so brief for one moment I thought it was shorter than Reef Blower. This is a fairly unpopular segment since it's got Patrick being the sh'ittiest employee ever, and is one of the only times Mr. Krabs gets unjustly punished. But it does have some chuckles, such as Patrick building with ice cubes like a stack of cards and the whole trash compactor mix-up. I think what makes it funnier than it otherwise would have been is the freeze-frame where Patrick's eyes are pointing at a money bag with a dotted red arrow, leading him to the conclusion that it's trash too. And of course, once the machine blows up he asks Krabs "Can I eat now?". Overall, it's an all right 4 minutes.

Blackjack:

SpongeBob is scared out of his wits once he learns his cousin Blackjack is coming to visit, not having forgotten how much he got bullied by him as a kid.

There is so much comedy packed into this plot. The flashback and visualisations of what Blackjack has done or might do to SpongeBob, as well as the heighted paranoia throughout makes it energetically entertaining. The part where he sees a freshly baked gingerbread and thinks that Blackjack cooked his grandma in the oven is priceless.

He's still worried about his parents however, especially when grandma (wonderfully reprised by Marion Ross) unintentionally spouts unsettling double-meanings.

This leads him to visit uncle Sherm, which is when the most uproarious scene comes. Sherm is constantly surrounded by loud music, so instead of hearing his warning he misunderstands and makes him do chores. The sheer level of frustration with his uncle just delaying him more and more had me in stitches.

When he finally reaches Blackjack's house to rescue his parents, it turns out they are not in danger at all, but are celebrating his return from prison. That doesn't seem to mean the menace is over however, since he still is ready to kick Spongey's ass. But a great use of forced perspective reveals that SpongeBob's fear of Blackjack growing was unwarranted, since he's the one whos grown since then instead. It's a much smarter twist than I was expecting, so big props.

Primarily due to Picture Day and Blackjack, this is somewhat of a hidden gem. 8.6/10, rounded up to

Not having any luck with TV series this week. HBO Max, Amazon, Hulu, Netflix.

Tried all of these:

Normal People. Cannot understand the acclaim for this series or the book it is based upon. Bailed out of both.

Liar. Joanne Froggatt (Downton Abbey) very good in this, but very ordinary. Okay if it’s watched one hour per week, but doesn’t hold up to binge-watching.

The Plot Against America. Lasted 5 minutes.

I Know This Much is True. Mark Ruffalo very good (huge fan), but very heavy & dark. Made it halfway through.

Not having any luck with TV series this week. HBO Max, Amazon, Hulu, Netflix.

Tried all of these:

Normal People. Cannot understand the acclaim for this series or the book it is based upon. Bailed out of both.
I watched all of this series and I can't understand the acclaim for it either. Technically it's fine and the acting is good, but the two main characters are infuriating and I don't get the love for it at all.

Liar. Joanne Froggatt (Downton Abbey) very good in this, but very ordinary. Okay if it’s watched one hour per week, but doesn’t hold up to binge-watching.
I've got no idea what this is (although I've heard of it) but I try and watch most things one episode a week. two at the most, so maybe I'll give it a go should I get the chance?

The Plot Against America. Lasted 5 minutes.
The trailer for this was enough for me not to want to bother with it.

I Know This Much is True. Mark Ruffalo very good (huge fan), but very heavy & dark. Made it halfway through.
Ditto this. Dark and brooding is good. But not everything has to be though and this doesn't have anything to make me want to put myself through it. Especially at this time.

I try and watch most things one episode a week. two at the most, so maybe I'll give it a go should I get the chance?

Dark and brooding is good. But not everything has to be though and this doesn't have anything to make me want to put myself through it. Especially at this time.
Liar would be okay if I weren’t binge-watching it. If I watched one episode per week & then forgot about it until the next week, this show might be okay. The ability to binge-watch something & enjoy it is the test of any series IMO.

The Mark Ruffalo vehicle would be more interesting if it were a true story. But to spend all this time on a fictionalized series is not worth the effort IMO.

The New York Times is running out of stuff to review so they gave us a list of Brit shows to watch. Won’t bore you with the list, but they suggested In My Skin. Didn’t even make it through the pilot. Another Brit series where schoolgirls act like they’ve been raised by wolves. So different from the British prep school I went to.