MOST OVERRATED FILM:
True Grit
FAVORITE PERFORMANCE:
Red River
FAVORITE GUILTY PLEASURE PERFORMANCE:
The Shootist

"Those are my principles. If you don't like them I have others."- Groucho Marx

Put me in your pocket...
Bumping up....this is a great thread and thought some of the new people might like it. I went ahead and updated my Katharine Hepburn/Cary Grant post.

Nice list Uconjack. My dad and brother use to watch alot of John Wayne movies and I have fond memories of watching with them.

Bug Planet Proximus
Thanks Aniko. I really loved your post on Olivia De Havilland. I remember seeing this thread ages ago and meant to write something but never did.

Arnold Schwarzeneggar

DOB
July 30, 1947... Graz, Austria

Movies I've Seen
Hercules in New York [1970]
Conan the Barbarian [1982]
Conan the Destroyer [1984]
The Terminator [1984]
Red Sonja [1985]
Commando [1985]
Predator [1987]
The Running Man [1987]
Twins [1988]
Red Heat [1988]
Kindergarten Cop [1990]
Total Recall [1990]
Terminator 2: Judgement Day [1991]
Last Action Hero [1993]
True Lies [1994]
Junior [1994]
Jingle All the Way [1996]
Eraser [1996]
Batman & Robin [1997]
End of Days [1999]
The 6th Day [2000]
Collateral Damage [2001]
Terminator 3: Rise of the Mchines [2003]

Best Movies
The Terminator [1984]
Terminator 2 [1991]

Least Favourite Movies
Eraser [1996]
Junior [1994]
Batman & Robin [1997]

Favourite Movies
Predator [1987]
Terminator 2 [1991]

Most Overrated
The 6th Day [2000]

Most Underrated
Last Action Hero [1993]

Favourite Performance
Red Heat [1988]

What I'll Be Seeing Next
Stay Hungry [1976]
Pumping Iron [1976]

Simply put, Arnie is 'the man'. Love him or hate him, you can't take away his effortless knack for entertaining. Is there a person out there who doesnt like a single one of his movies? I'm guessing no.

Max Von Sydow

Max Von Sydow took my breath away when I watched him for the first time as Father Merrin trying to rid Linda Blair (Regan) of the “beast” that had taken possession of her. His on screen presence was magnificent and the Swedish actor has never failed to amaze me. He has played the son of God in The Greatest Story Ever Told (1965) and then switched sides later in his career in the wonderful film Needful Things (1993). His filmography is vast in deed and he is still making films as he closes in on his eightieth birthday. He is like a beacon in the dark when he enters a scene, and I am sure he is the same in person. He has a sparkle in his eyes that betray his seriousness at times, but it lends credence to his sarcasm which is one of the things I love about him. One of his favorite roles of mine is of course when he totally integrates his craft with the character Ming the Merciless in the 1980 cult classic Flash Gordon. He made his early mark on film playing in many Ingmar Bergman films including the Seventh Seal (1957) in which he played a game of chess against Death. He is one of my favorite actors and has been a roles model to me since I was very young.

Bergman himself said:

“There's an enigmatic relationship between Max and myself. He has meant a tremendous amount to me....As an actor, Max is sound through and through. Robust. Technically durable. If I'd had a psychopath to present these deeply psychopathic roles, it would have been unbearable. It's a question of acting the part of a broken man, not of being him. The sort of exhibitionism in this respect which is all the rage just now will pass over, I think. By and by people will regain their feeling for the subtle detachment which often exists between Max and my madmen."

Quotes from Max Von Sydow himself:

Bergman has a very special eye for people. His background taught him to listen and to feel.

I don't believe in devils. Indifference and misunderstandings can create evil situations. Most of the time, people who appear to be evil are really victims of evil deeds.

I think English is a fantastic, rich and musical language, but of course your mother tongue is the most important for an actor.

If Jesus came back today, and saw what was going on in his name, he'd never stop throwing up.

He is still going strong and his most recent film The Inquiry where he plays, of all things, the Roman Emperor Tiberius. I look forward to this greatly.

Birth date/Birthplace

April 10th 1929 / Lund Sweden

Favorite Movie

Flash Gordon (1980)

Least Favorite Movie

Judge Dredd (1995)

Favorite performance

Emperor Ming (Flash Gordon)/ Father Merrin (The Exorcist)

Favorite Line

As Ming in Flash Gordon:

I'd much rather see you on my side, than scattered into... atoms.”

As Leland Gaunt in Needful Things

The young carpenter from Nazareth? I know him well. Promising young man. He died badly.”

Max Von Sydow is one of the reasons I fell in love with movies at a young age. I would like to thank him and everything he has done for the industry.

I am having a nervous breakdance
Originally Posted by 7thson
Max Von Sydow

Wow! Not only a countryman but also a man from the same town as me! Cool! I actually feel proud.... Silly me....

--------

They had temporarily escaped the factories, the warehouses, the slaughterhouses, the car washes - they'd be back in captivity the next day but
now they were out - they were wild with freedom. They weren't thinking about the slavery of poverty. Or the slavery of welfare and food stamps. The rest of us would be all right until the poor learned how to make atom bombs in their basements.

Put me in your pocket...
I always did like this thread. Thanks for reviving it 7thson. I didn't know about Max...now I do, so thanks. And, I've never have seen Flash Gordon...I feel like I'm missing out on something. another movie to put on my 'to see' list.

Originally Posted by D'yer Mak'er
Thanks Aniko. I really loved your post on Olivia De Havilland. I remember seeing this thread ages ago and meant to write something but never did.
This is so old and I don't know if you're lurking around D'yer Mak'er...but thanks. I enjoyed your post. I always did have a thing Arnold.

Which reminds me...I bought my husband Pumping Iron last year and for some odd reason, he won't let me watch it.

John C. Reilly

Birth date and location:
24 May 1965
Chicago, Illinois, USA

Best Movie:
Boogie Nights (1997)

Worst Movie:
Casualties of War (1989)

Favorite Movie:
Magnolia (1999)

Most Overrated:
Never Been Kissed (1999)

Most Underrated:
The Good Girl (2002)

Awards:
Best Supporting Actor (nom) Chicago 2002 Academy
Best Supporting Actor (nom) Chicago 2002 Golden Globe
Best Supporting Actor (nom) Anniversary Party 2001 Independent Spirit Award

Originally Posted by 7thson
Max Von Sydow

Flash Gordon (1980)
Thanks 7thboy I love him also, and you know that i am a flash fan

James Maitland Stewart

Birthdate: 20th of May, 1908.

Date of Death: 2nd of July, 1997.

First Film: Art Trouble (1934)

Last Film: An American Tale: Fievel Goes West (voice) (1991)

In my opinion...

Best Film: Vertigo

Worst Film: Have yet to discover one

Favorite Film: The Philadelphia Story

Oscar nominations: Anatomy Of A Murder (1959), Harvey (1950), It's A Wonderful Life (1946), Mr. Smith Goes To Washington (1939).

Oscars Received: Best actor in a leading roll, for The Philadelphia Story. (which he kept in the window of his father's hardware shop)

Received the AFI's Lifetime Achievement Award in 1980.

Put me in your pocket...
Originally Posted by *~*SilverScreen*~*
James Maitland Stewart

In my opinion...

Best Film: Vertigo

Worst Film: Have yet to discover one

Favorite Film: The Philadelphia Story

Nice post SilverScreen. I like Mr. Stewart as well. He had quite a career.

Read this and you are a nosey Kont
Jessica Marie Alba

Birth date and location:
28th of April 1981
Pomona, California, USA

Best Movie:
Idle Hands (1999)

Worst Movie:
The Sleeping Dictionary (2003)

Favorite Movie:
Idle Hands (1999)
Into The Blue (2005)

Most Underrated:
Honey (2003)

Awaiting:
Awake (2006)

Awards:
2003 DVD Exclusive Award Best Actress in a DVD Premiere Movie
2001 ALMA Award Breakthrough Actress of the Year
2001 Academy of Science Fiction, Fantasy & Horror Films, USA Best Actress on Television
2001 TV Guide Award Breakout Star of the Year
2001 Teen Choice Award TV - Choice Actress

Peter Cushing

Birth date and location:
26 May 1913
Kenley, Surrey, England, UK

Date of death:
11 August 1994
Canterbury, Kent, England, UK. (prostate cancer)

Best Movie:
Dracula (1958)

Favourite Movie:
The Curse of Frankenstein (1957)
The Evil of Frankenstein (1964)
Frankenstein And The Monster From Hell (1974)
Horror Express (1973)
The Beast Must Die (1974)
The Hound Of The Baskervilles (1957)

Worst Movie:
None from the movies I have seen.

Most Underrated:
The Hound Of The Baskervilles (1957)
House of the Long Shadows (1983)

Awards:
National TV Award:
Rec'd 1953 & 1954 - Daily Mail 'Outstanding Actor of the Year'

Guild of TV Producers and Directors:
Rec'd 1955 'Best Performance Award (as Winston Smith in '1984')

Pipe Smoker of the Year:
Rec'd 1968 (as Sherlock Holmes on BBC TV series)

Licorne d'Or Award:
Rec'd 1971 Best Male Actor 2nd French Convention of Fantasy Cinema (as Arthur Grimsdyke in 'Tales from the Crypt')
Rec'd 1971 Most Popular Actor in France ( for his roles in Fantasy Entertainment and service to the cinema)

International Festival of Science Fiction and Terror:
Rec'd 1976 Best Actor at Sitges, Spain ( for Dr Lawrence in The Ghoul)
Rec'd 1983 Best Actor (shared with Christopher Lee, Vincent Price, John Carradine for their roles in 'House of the Long Shadows')

International Fantasy Film Award:
Rec'd 1984 fantasporto festival (for his contributions to the fantastic film genre)

Most Excellent Order of the British Empire:
Rec'd 1989 OBE (by Queen Elizabeth II)

Laemle Award:
Rec'd 1999 Monster Rally Convention at Virginia, US (for his lifelong contribution to films - posthumous).

Anthony Hopkins

Birthdate and Location:

31 December 1937
Margam, Port Talbot, West Glamorgan, Wales, UK

What I've Seen:

The Lion in the Winter (1968)
War and Peace (1972)
A Doll's House (1973)
QB VII (1974)
Juggernaut (1974)
All Creatures Great and Small (1975)
The Lindbergh Kidnapping Case (1976)
Audrey Rose (1977)
A Bridge Too Far (1977)
Magic (1978)
The Elephant Man (1980)
A Change of Seasons (1980)
Peter and Paul (1981)
The Bunker (1981)
A Married Man (1983)
The Bounty (1984)
Guilty Conscience (1985)
Mussonlini and I (1985)
Hollywood Wives (1985)
The Good Father (1985)
84 Charing Cross Road (1985)
The Dawning (1988)
A Chorus of Disapproval (1988)
The Tenth Man (1988)
The Silence of the Lambs (1991)
One Man's War (1991)
Spotswood (1992)
Howards End (1992)
Dracula (1992)
To Be the Best (1992)
Selected Exits (1993)
The Remains of the Day (1993)
Shadowlands (1993)
Road To Wellville (1994)
Legends of Fall (1994)
Nixon (1995)
Surviving Picasso (1996)
August (1996)
The Edge (1997)
Amistad (1997)
Meet Joe Black (1998)
The Mask of Zorro (1998)
Titus (1999)
Instinct (1999)
Hannibal (2000)
Hearts in Atlantis (2001)
Bad Company (2002)
Red Dragon (2002)
The Human Stain (2003)
Proof (2005)
The World's Fastest Indian (2005)

Stand-out Performances:

Mr. Stevens - The Remains of the Day
C.S. Lewis - Shadowlands
Richard Nixon - Nixon
Dr. Hannibal Lecter - The Silence of the Lambs
Adolf Hitler - The Bunker
Richard III - The Lion in the Winter
Burt Munro - The World's Fastest Indian
Henry Wilcox - Howards End
Captain Bligh - The Bounty
Dr. Treves - The Elephant Man
John Strickland - A Married Man
Titus Andronicus - Titus
Corky - Magic
Pierre Bezuhov - War and Peace
Burno Richard Hauptmann - The Lindbergh Kidnapping Case
Pablo Picasso - Surviving Picasso
Dr. Adam Kelno - QB VII
Ted Brautigan - Hearts In Atlantis

Most Overrated Films:

hmm....maybe Legends of the Fall, I dislike that movie.

Most Underrated Films:

A Bridge Too Far
Shadowlands
Magic
The World's Fastest Indian
Nixon
The Edge
A Doll's House
Hearts in Atlantis

Absolute Favorite Film:

The Silence of the Lambs

Absolute Worst Film:

Road To Wellville
Bad Company

Awards:

Academy Awards, USA:
1991...Best Actor in a Leading Role - The Silence of the Lambs

Bafta Awards:
1972...Best Actor - War and Peace (Mini)
1992...Best Actor - The Silence of the Lambs
1994...Best Actor - Shadowlands

Emmy Awards:
1976...Outstanding Lead Actor in a Drama or Comedy Special - The Lindbergh Kidnapping Case
1981...Outstanding Lead Actor in a Limited Series or Special - The Bunker

Golden Globes:
2006...Cecil DeMille Award for Lifetime Achievement

Favorite Quote:

"I'm still waiting for God to say, What are you doing here? It's a mistake, go back to Port Talbot...we meant Tomkins, not Hopkins"

Read this and you are a nosey Kont
Originally Posted by nebbit
I loved Peter thanks
No, thank you, for responding to my post

I still love his movies even now, 14 years after first seeing them (I'm 28 now). The man has a certain charm about him, his presance on screen could be felt no matter who shared screen time with him. Not many actors from todays scene can that about themselves.

Originally Posted by gummo
Wooot!!!!! Anthony Hopkins is damn sexy!!
totally....

Bill Murray

William James Murray
Born September 21st, 1950 in Wilmette, Illinois

The fifth of nine children. Older brother Brian and younger brothers Joel and John also have acting careers (the only movie to date to showcase all four brothers is Scrooged).

Married twice, he has six children (two with his first wife, four from his current marriage). All are boys: Homer, Luke, Jackson, Cal, Cooper and Lincoln.

Major Awards:
Oscar nomination, Best Actor for Lost in Translation
Golden Globe nominations for Ghostbusters and Rushmore, and a win for Lost in Translation
Independent Spirit Awards, two wins for Rushmore and Lost in Translation

Started his career on the stage of the legendary Chicago improv club The Second City. From there he joined The National Lampoon in their stage and radio projects working with people like Chevy Chase, John Belushi, Dan Aykroyd, Gilda Radner, Harold Ramis and Christopher Guest. He almost made the cut as one of the original Not-Ready-for-Prime-Time-Players on "Saturday Night Live" but instead joined in the second season after original castmember Chevy Chase decided to leave the show.

Bill made his first screen appearance with a small uncredited role in Next Stop, Greenwich Village (1976 - Paul Mazursky). His first starring role was in Meatballs (1979 - Ivan Reitman), a very small Canadian project that became a surprise smash in the summer of 1979 making more than twenty times the paltry million or so it took to make, signaling that Bill Murray was going to be a movie star.

Bill's deadpan delivery, sarcastic wit and desheveled everyman looks made him a comedy icon in movies like Caddyshack (1981 - Harold Ramis) and Stripes (1981 - Ivan Reitman), but it was the mega-success of Ghostbusters (1984 - Ivan Reitman) that created a susperstar.

Murray gave a glimpse into the man underneath the persona when he made Columbia Pictures agree to finance an adaptation of William Somerset Maugham's The Razor's Edge (1984 - John Byrum) if they wanted him to star in Ghostbusters. The novel obviously had some personal meaning for Murray, and he co-wrote the screenplay.

The comic persona he honed and perfected from "SNL" through Ghostbusters 2 was something he probably could have played for the rest of his career, but Murray made a shift in the kind of material and roles he accepted in the '90s. He co-directed the bank heist comedy Quick Change (1990) and scored again at the box office with the charming fantasy Groundhog Day (1993 - Harold Ramis). But again he was always looking for something else, and in the dark comedy Mad Dog & Glory (1993 - John McNaughton) and a highlighted supporting role in Tim Burton's Ed Wood (1994) he showed he had much more range than Carl the dimwitted groundskeeper and Venkman the Ghostbuster.

Murray's career hit a new level when Wes Anderson cast him in Rushmore (1998). The brooding character in this dark comedy was perfect for Murray's gifts as a screen actor, where his deadpan wit and supreme subtltly could be used to explore dramatic depths that his earliest work rarely hinted at (save for his great supporting role in Tootsie). Subsequent projects Cradle Will Rock (1999 - Tim Robbins), Hamlet (2000 - Michael Almereyda), The Royal Tenenbaums (2001 - Wes Anderson), Lost in Translation (2003 - Sofia Coppola), The Life Aquatic with Steve Zissou (2004 - Wes Anderson) and Broken Flowers (2005 - Jim Jarmusch) further explored what Murray was really capable of as an actor. Approaching sixty years old, Bill is at the top of his game and doing the best work of his life.

Bill has two cherished pet projects that he's been trying to get made for years with no success. One is a biography of Bill Veeck, the Chicago native and colorful owner of minor and Major League Baseball franchises (including the Cleveland Indians, St. Louis Browns and Chicago White Sox) who was famous for his wacky publicity stunts and love of the game. Murray owns the rights to his autobiography, Veeck as in Wreck, but has been unable to find backing. Murray is a huge baseball fan, especially The Cubs, and is himself part-owner of the St. Paul Saints of the Independent League. Mike Veeck, Bill Veeck's son, is the principal owner.

The other project is another biography, of Michael Larson who scammed the gameshow "Press Your Luck" in the 1980s. He memorized the supposedly "random" pattern of the computerized game board and won over $100,000.00 in cash and prizes. He got to keep the money, but lost it all later through bad decisions and a nasty divorce. He died in 1999 of throat cancer while laying low to avoid the S.E.C.

My picks for his best movies...

1. Rushmore
2. Lost in Translation
3. Broken Flowers
4. Groundhog Day
5. Quick Change

My picks for his worst movies...

1. Osmosis Jones
2. Garfield
3. Kingpin
4. Charlie's Angels
5. Ghostbusters 2

Most underrated...

1. Quick Change
2. The Man Who Knew Too Little
3. Hamlet (2000)*

*Murray plays Polonius in this modernized take on Shakespeare, and I think his reading of the "Never a borrower nor a lender be" speech is the best I've ever seen of that piece, stage or screen, bar none.

Most overrated...

Kingpin
"Film is a disease. When it infects your bloodstream it takes over as the number one hormone. It bosses the enzymes, directs the pineal gland, plays Iago to your psyche. As with heroin, the antidote to Film is more Film." - Frank Capra

Orlando Bloom

Birthday- January 19,1977
Birthplace-canterbury,England

YearTitleRoleNotes2007Seasons of DustRickypre-productionPirates of the Caribbean 3Will Turnerfilming; opens May 252006Love and Other DisastersHollywood PaoloHavenShyalso co-producer, opens September 15, 2006Pirates of the Caribbean: Dead Man's ChestWill Turner2005The Calcium KidJimmy Connellydirect-to-videoElizabethtownDrew BaylorKingdom of HeavenBalian2004TroyParisNed KellyJoe Byrnelimited release2003The Lord of the Rings: The Return of the KingLegolas Greenleaf of the Woodland RealmPirates of the Caribbean: The Curse of the Black PearlWill Turner2002The Lord of the Rings: The Two TowersLegolas Greenleaf of the Woodland Realm2001Black Hawk DownTodd BlackburnThe Lord of the Rings: The Fellowship of the RingLegolas Greenleaf of the Woodland Realm1998WildeRentboy

Movie Forums Stage-Hand
DANNY DEVITO

ALL I CAN SAY IS

HOTTIE

He IS TALL DARK AND HANDSOME!