Dogville (2003)

→ in
Tools    

Originally Posted by Cabbage Head
Did any of you feel any sympathy for Paul Bettany's character?
Not particularly. He displayed near sociopathic behaviors throughout the entire film; progressively getting worse. By the time the film was nearing it’s conclusion, I was ready for it to end the way it did.

Are there any new viewers of this film that wish to comment?

I can chat about Von Trier films all the live long day.
"Today, war is too important to be left to politicians. They have neither the time, the training, nor the inclination for strategic thought. I can no longer sit back and allow Communist infiltration, Communist indoctrination, Communist subversion and the international Communist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious bodily fluids."

I am having a nervous breakdance
Originally Posted by Cabbage Head
I just rented this film on teh wknd and I totally liked it. All the comments posted on this thread I can relate to. I really really liked the main review - what a wonderful job!

Did any of you feel any sympathy for Paul Bettany's character? Or did you feel as I did - pent up rage as the film progressed? I grew angrier and angrier with him because he was pretending to be the key to Grace's freedom, and she believed in him and fell for him, but all the while he was just stringing her along. All he wanted was to satisfy his carnal desires, at her expense. He was as evil as the rest of the townsfolk and rapists, because although it's not what he did that was evil, but what he didn't do. Just sitting, watching, observing all the horrible things happening to Gace, and not doing anything about it. By the end I too felt that his death was completely justified.

The more I think about it the more I liked this movie.
Isn't the point of the Paul Bettany character to symbolize us all in a way? Aren't we all trying to appear as good-doers filled with empathy and compassion with a desire to help "the little man" (or woman) when all we really do is cynically thinking about ourselves and being afraid of society viewing us as deviants? So, when von Trier is making us despise the behaviour of the Bettany character, he is making us despise ourselves.

--------

They had temporarily escaped the factories, the warehouses, the slaughterhouses, the car washes - they'd be back in captivity the next day but
now they were out - they were wild with freedom. They weren't thinking about the slavery of poverty. Or the slavery of welfare and food stamps. The rest of us would be all right until the poor learned how to make atom bombs in their basements.

All of the characters in the movie display some of societies worst, and best, attributes. I don’t think it’s exclusive to Bettany.

Howdy, Piddy.

Originally Posted by LordSlaytan
All of the characters in the movie display some of societies worst, and best, attributes. I don’t think it’s exclusive to Bettany.

Howdy, Piddy.
Cheerio, Lordy!

I am sure you're right. But maybe the other characters, including Kidman's, where being rather caricatures while Bettany's felt more realistic. But I am not as fond of this movie as some of you guys so maybe I am seeing things a bit different.

I don't know if you're seeing things differently, because I see exactly what you mean. And I'm always right, don't you know. I haven't seen it for awhile...I lost my copy.

And I have only seen it once, and that was quite some time ago. That's why I'm pretty sure I don't even know what I'm talking about.

history *is* moralizing
Not particularly. He displayed near sociopathic behaviors throughout the entire film.
i do like Paul Bettany quite a bit. plus he's got a very good taste (imo) for women anyway and always dates (or marries) the girls i'd want to, first Paula Fraser and then Jennifer Connelly... what a lucky guy!

HAHAHAHAHA Wow, you're funny!

How does this pertain to the movie Dogville?

Lets put a smile on that block
Chill out Slay, take a chill pill Bill.

I know many people think Dogville is anti-American (and many dont) but i fail to see how it isnt. Trier has spoken openly about his dislike for America, and from what i can tell from the trailer, his new upcoming film Dear Wendy highlights his thoughts on America's 'obsession' with guns. It looks fantastic but i dont know how its going to be recieved, anyone know anything about it?

history *is* moralizing
hei! don't blib the Americans or they'll blob you with bad rep!!

I didn't find it anti-American (but probably critical of America as of other things). Just because von Trier has expressed dislike for America doesn't mean the film has to be anti-American.

So, eat a poo-pie garnished with chill pills, Blibb!!!

Originally Posted by Piddzilla
Just because von Trier has expressed dislike for America doesn't mean the film has to be anti-American.
Yes it does. So take that fish lips

Originally Posted by Piddzilla
Uh-uh, no it doesn't, dumbo ears!
Why i oughtta...Its actually anti-human vagina eyes

SO there.

history *is* moralizing
Originally Posted by blibblobblib
anti-human vagina eyes
sounds more like David Lynch than Trier to me...

Originally Posted by chicagofrog
sounds more like David Lynch than Trier to me...
I meant "Anti-human, Vagina Eyes" (As in Pidd has Vagina's for Eyes Hee Hee!!)

Originally Posted by blibblobblib
Chill out Slay, take a chill pill Bill.
Don't be mad at me any more. Please? I needs my precious.

Originally Posted by chicagofrog
hei! don't blib the Americans or they'll blob you with bad rep!!
Very coy. You know why I gave you bad rep, and it had nothing to do with you being blibby...no one is blibby except blibblobblib.

I've sure been negative lately...maybe I do need a chill pill. But taking too many chill pills is what got me in the mess in the first place. I must be careful.

Great...now I'm waaayyyy off topic.

history *is* moralizing
Very coy. You know why I gave you bad rep, and it had nothing to do with you being blibby...no one is blibby except blibblobblib.
hei, i just wanted to use blib and blob in one sentence!!

Great...now I'm waaayyyy off topic. :mad
we like it when you are. well, at least me: you know my weakness for digressing all the time...

and colors!

Hey! I got something in my eyes and I can't see anything in here!! But it feels FANTASTIC!!!

Arrgh... Let's not ruin a perfectly fine thread!

So, what about the film is anti-american?