Kate & Leopold

→ in
Tools    

Kate & Leopold **½

I’m almost embarrassed to write my opinion on this matter. I searched the forum for a previous thread about Kate & Leopold, not only did I not find a thread about said movie, I couldn’t even find a single post on the subject either. My only conclusion is that this movie didn’t warrant any opinions at all, though that confuses me because I found that I really enjoyed it. I’ve never really considered myself a slacker when it comes to my tastes in movies, but now I’m wondering. Have I lost my senses? My goodness, next I’ll think 2 Fast, 2 Furious is one of the greatest movies ever made! Maybe I should just calm down and write what I feel and let doG figure out the rest.

Kate & Leopold is another Meg Ryan romantic comedy vehicle with Hugh Jackman, yet it switches gears a little bit and doesn’t make her a sweetheart to beat all sweethearts. It’s also a time travel movie of sorts, though that’s really only a backdrop compared to the romance. I read roger Eberts review before starting to write this and I liked what he said about this, “The movie is not really about time travel anyway, but about elegant British manners vs. American slobbiness.” That hits the nail on the head I think.

The movie is funny, though not often in the laugh out loud way, and its romance is sweet and classy. It’s not about lust, or even animal magnetism, but about a woman being treated in a chivalrous manner that today’s society says they don’t need, or want, though often suspected that most really do. It reminds me about the rides on the train that I often take, and how there are only %5 of the men that will still give their seats to women who are left standing, and of that %5, many will only do it for a pretty one. I am on of the men that still do, and still feel that all men should.

I really enjoyed seeing Jackman in this role and has given me more respect for his acting abilities. Not that it is an Oscar caliber performance, but it certainly isn’t an action role either. I haven’t really seen him in anything besides X-Men, and his smaller roles in movies like Swordfish. I have found that I really like him as a leading man and am looking forward to further stretches from Wolverine. I also am a fan of the two supporting actors in the film, Live Schreiber and Breckin Meyer. Both of these guys are great, and I hope only excellent things for them. On a side note, I hope Meg doesn’t keep up with her lip ballooning. I hate fakeness, and am worried that she’ll turn into a plastic hag like Melanie Griffith has.

I would highly recommend this film to anyone who enjoys Romance/comedies. I’m also curious about whether the female MoFo’s who are enthralled with Jackman’s hunkiness, loved him just as much in this, as they do as sweaty Wolverine. Do tell please.
"Today, war is too important to be left to politicians. They have neither the time, the training, nor the inclination for strategic thought. I can no longer sit back and allow Communist infiltration, Communist indoctrination, Communist subversion and the international Communist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious bodily fluids."

It was beauty killed the beast.
Kong hasn't seen it since it first played in theaters so his memory is a bit rusty. Kong does remember what he felt about the film though; it's not bad, but it never really gelled for Kong, and it felt oddly generic considering that it's a romantic comedy featuring time travel.

**1/2 of ****

Hugh Jackman was really good in this movie. Unfortunately he was paired with a plank of wood. I actually like Meg, but she just looked bored in this movie.

On the plus side, it's a time travel thing/fantasy pic, and I always give points to this sorta flik.

I liked this movie also, not so much for Meg Ryan but definitely for the hunky gorgeous Hugh.

I thought he was hunky when he started out on TV here, every time I see him in an interview, usually the Aussie ones as they are more relaxed, I like him more.

Swoon

Put me in your pocket...
Originally Posted by LordSlaytan
I’m almost embarrassed to write my opinion on this matter. I searched the forum for a previous thread about Kate & Leopold, not only did I not find a thread about said movie, I couldn’t even find a single post on the subject either. My only conclusion is that this movie didn’t warrant any opinions at all, though that confuses me because I found that I really enjoyed it. I’ve never really considered myself a slacker when it comes to my tastes in movies, but now I’m wondering. Have I lost my senses? My goodness, next I’ll think 2 Fast, 2 Furious is one of the greatest movies ever made! Maybe I should just calm down and write what I feel and let doG figure out the rest.
No you haven’t lost your senses. It’s good to see a man that likes war movies that can appreciate and like the sweet love stories too. You old softie

There are probably alot of sweet romance movies that haven’t been talk about because...well...there aren’t too many here that seem to enjoy the sweet chick flicks. I wish there were.

Kate & Leopold is another Meg Ryan romantic comedy vehicle with Hugh Jackman, yet it switches gears a little bit and doesn’t make her a sweetheart to beat all sweethearts. It’s also a time travel movie of sorts, though that’s really only a backdrop compared to the romance. I read roger Eberts review before starting to write this and I liked what he said about this, “The movie is not really about time travel anyway, but about elegant British manners vs. American slobbiness.” That hits the nail on the head I think.

The movie is funny, though not often in the laugh out loud way, and its romance is sweet and classy. It’s not about lust, or even animal magnetism, but about a woman being treated in a chivalrous manner that today’s society says they don’t need, or want, though often suspected that most really do. It reminds me about the rides on the train that I often take, and how there are only %5 of the men that will still give their seats to women who are left standing, and of that %5, many will only do it for a pretty one. I am on of the men that still do, and still feel that all men should.
I liked this movie and I liked your observations about Kate & Leopold. I loved Hugh and Meg together. He made the perfect gentleman. I think there are many of us women who still appreciate and admire a man who has chivalrous manners. As you said...there isn’t alot of that displayed now adays. That was very appealing about this movie. I also loved when he came to her resue a couple of times...the resturant scene in particular with Kate's boss. Leopold was so endearing.

On a side note, I hope Meg doesn’t keep up with her lip ballooning. I hate fakeness, and am worried that she’ll turn into a plastic hag like Melanie Griffith has.

I’m also curious about whether the female MoFo’s who are enthralled with Jackman’s hunkiness, loved him just as much in this, as they do as sweaty Wolverine. Do tell please.
I hadn't noticed Meg's lips puffy. I'll have to start taking notice. Hopefully it's just a faze and her down to earth style won't change. One actress I did notice with the puffy lips was Cameron Diaz in one of her earlier roles. Poor Melanie Griffith...

About Hugh Jackman's hunkiness. I think one of the things that is so appealing about him is the twinkle in his eye and smile...the way he carries himself...it's more than just his looks, it's about his essence....at least for me. He has the quality of an older classic movie star. I really hope he does more romantic comedies and doesn't just stay with the action/Wolverine type stuff.

Originally Posted by Aniko
I hadn't noticed Meg's lips puffy. I'll have to start taking notice. Hopefully it's just a faze and her down to earth style won't change. One actress I did notice with the puffy lips was Cameron Diaz in one of her earlier roles. Poor Melanie Griffith...

About Hugh Jackman's hunkiness. I think one of the things that is so appealing about him is the twinkle in his eye and smile...the way he carries himself...it's more than just his looks, it's about his essence....at least for me. He has the quality of an older classic movie star. I really hope he does more romantic comedies and doesn't just stay with the action/Wolverine type stuff.
im sorry, but i find it hard to believe that you didnt notice Megs lips, they look terrible the sides of her lips are bigger than the middle, they are really obvious.

i do, however agree with your comments about hugh jackman, i think the fact that he was so polite made the film appealing because you dont often get that now.

i must say though, i do like hugh in the action films like when he played logan because he had a rougher character and it made him seem more interesting, and i also think he looked better not so smart.

but going on to kate and leopold, i found the cinema version a bit confusing at times, because it didnt show some bits at the beginning, but i have also watched the directors cut which had the clips which were cut out for the cinema in it, this really helped to make sense of the film.

but overall it wasn't such a bad film but i thought it was going to be better, i was a bit dissapointed.

cazz
x

Put me in your pocket...
Originally Posted by cazz
im sorry, but i find it hard to believe that you didnt notice Megs lips, they look terrible the sides of her lips are bigger than the middle, they are really obvious.

i must say though, i do like hugh in the action films like when he played logan because he had a rougher character and it made him seem more interesting, and i also think he looked better not so smart.
As far as Meg's lips, believe what you want want, but I what I do notice the most about Meg is her hair. It either looks like a mess, or it's very cute. I couldn't decided whether I liked her hair in this movie or not, which is probably why I don't remember her lips.

I suppose if I saw this movie on the big screen I might agree with you...it's amazing how you really notice things about actors and actresses when they're huge on screen. When I first saw Emma, Persuasion and The Talented Mr. Ripley at the theater I couldn't get over how awful some of the actors' teeth looked. When I watch those movies (or the those same actors in other movies) on my VCR, I don't notice their teeth as much. But I'm getting off the subject here...amazing how that happens sometimes. ^.^;;;

Hugh...I'm sure he'll be likeable in action or romance. I'm just hoping he doesn't get type cast because of his Wolverine role that has become so popular. That's all I meant.

It's good to see you posting about cazz. Welcome to MoFo.

I See You When You're Sleeping
I watched this movie last year with my girlfriend, it was really nice. Glad others liked it.

That movie I would give lets see two stars because it had its enjoyable moments and there was some funny moments in it!
The acting could be a little bit better and the ending I did not like but the rest of the movie was not that bad in fact I would n ot mind seeing it again but I would not watch it over and over again!
But that is how I am if I really like a movie I would watch it over and over again and never get sick of it!See you around!JM
Favorite Movie of all time:Star Wars!
Online offline boyfriend:AdarkSideJedi(brad)
Other Sites I belong tooeathcurse.com Darkmark.com and StarWars.com and Adult Swim.com!

it was hugh jackman who made this film as enjoyable as it was..i do love time travel which is why i went to see it, but the theory part was a little off...

that's the only trouble i had with this film..i found it enjoyable and pleasant to watch..not annoying at all

bright lights bright lights!
I also Thing Hugh Jackman is lush but not even he could make me sit all the way through this movie.
Can't remember if I saw it at the cinema or on the little screen but whichever I know I switched it off/left the cinema after about 20 minutes of it.

I agree - Meg Ryan did looked bored. She wasn't the only one