My greatest actors and performances of all time

Tools    

I'm going to do a countdown of greatest actors of all time in my opinion. And the top five of there best performances again in my opinion

1 Daniel Day Lewis

Top five performances

1 there will be blood

2 my left foot

3 gangs of New York

4 Lincoln

5 last of the Mohicans

2 Robert De Niro

top six performances

1 taxi driver

2 awakenings

3 raging Bull

4 The king of comedy

5 The Deer Hunter

6 Cape fear

Moved to Actors, Awards, & Directors. Please make sure to post new threads in the correct forum.

I've also renamed it slightly because, if it's a thread for anyone to post their choices (rather than you and yours, elaborated on), it would be a duplicate.

I m not sure I haven't written s similar list simewhere, but here goes:

Robert Duvall - The Apostle

Gregory Peck- To kill a Mockingbird

Harrison Ford- I feel he is so underrated as an actor- he's played so many different types of parts , and is so believable and versatile in so many different genres; I am impressed with his performance in
K-19(the Widowmaker)

George c Scott - Patton

Sally Field - yes I really 'like her' in so many roles, a favorite movie of mine is Murphy's Romance.

Paul Newman - Butch Cassidy

Walter Mathau- Plaza Suite

Jack Lemmon - The China Syndrome

France's McDormand - Fargo

Well that s a few. You know we can gush and elucidate about writers and directors til the cows come home- but the truth is, in
the movies- it is the actor who defines the film, and who leaves the lasting, indelible impression of the experience in your mind and heart.

2 Robert De Niro

top five performances

4 The king of comedy

Very pleased to see this included...it is my favorite De Niro performance.

I m not sure I haven't written s similar list simewhere, but here goes:

Robert Duvall - The Apostle

Gregory Peck- To kill a Mockingbird

Harrison Ford- I feel he is so underrated as an actor- he's played so many different types of parts , and is so believable and versatile in so many different genres; I am impressed with his performance in
K-19(the Widowmaker)

George c Scott - Patton

Sally Field - yes I really 'like her' in so many roles, a favorite movie of mine is Murphy's Romance.

Paul Newman - Butch Cassidy

Walter Mathau- Plaza Suite

Jack Lemmon - The China Syndrome

France's McDormand - Fargo

Well that s a few. You know we can gush and elucidate about writers and directors til the cows come home- but the truth is, in
the movies- it is the actor who defines the film, and who leaves the lasting, indelible impression of the experience in your mind and heart.
Glad you mention Paul Newman and Harrison Ford. They were my first ever Idols growing up. I love the chemistry Newman and Redford had in their films and in real life. I can't think of two actors with chemistry today that is even close to matching theirs.

3 Marlin Brando

Top five performances

1 A streetcar named desire

2 apocalypse now

3 The Godfather

4 on the waterfront

5 Viva Zapata

4 Jack Nicholson

Top five performances

1 one who flew over the Cuckoo's nest

2 the shining

3 chinatown

4 five easy pieces

5 Batman

when it comes to this list I will be judging it on who I purely think are the most stunning actors of all time and not my personal favourite actors otherwise Paul Newman or Robert Redford would be number one.

Hey B wise agree with so many of your scenes, - Esprcially: "you talkin to me" and the classic "hold it between your knees"!
and I m so glad we share the same esteem for Harrison and Paul- I tried to post an answer to you earlier, and it kept gettin bumped-Hope this works, my fave scene of those 2 actors with the most charismatic buddy chemistry:

5 Philip Seymour Hoffman

Top five performances

1 the master

2 Capote

3 boogie nights

4 before the Devil knows you're dead

5 punch drunk Love

Hey B wise agree with so many of your scenes, - Esprcially: "you talkin to me" and the classic "hold it between your knees"!
and I m so glad we share the same esteem for Harrison and Paul- I tried to post an answer to you earlier, and it kept gettin bumped-Hope this works, my fave scene of those 2 actors with the most charismatic buddy chemistry:

Brilliant scene. one of my favourite scenes is a brief one where Robert Redford catches Paul Newman kissing Catherine Ross. And Robert Redford says what are you doing and Paul Newman replies stealing your woman Robert Redford just notes in a lazy fashion and says taker her to which Newman replies you're a real romantic aren't you. Nothing makes me laugh more than that scene. Back then love triangles had a bit of backbone in today's world it would be soppy and to emotional.

But my favourite Redford and Newman moment is actually a story, it's an interview where Robert Redford tells a funny story about a present he once gave to Paul Newman. It just shows that their chemistry in real life was just as fun and wacky as there a screen friendship. The story is told at 2:15

6 Kevin Spacey

To separate the art from the artist on this one let's begin

Top five performances

1 seven

2 American beauty

3 The usual suspects

4 House of Cards

5 Kpax

George c Scott - Patton
He is fantastic in that. I think it was Frank Langella I saw once saying that Scott did anger better than anyone. I was watching some of Patton recently but it not being my kind of thing it's a film I've never seen all the way through. I thought he was great in A Christmas Carol too, I liked his take on Scrooge.

7 Christian Bale

Top five performances

1 The machinist

2 American psycho

3 rescue Dawn

4 the fighter

5 The prestige

8 Joaquin Phoenix

Top five performances

1 The master

2 I'm still here

3 gladiator

4 walk the line

5 I was between her and U turn

I thought he was very good in Tinker Tailor Soldier Spy, in fact he was the best thing in it by a mile.