The MoFo Top 100 Documentaries Countdown

→ in
Tools    

Last night, I had a flashback about a documentary I watched probably 11 years ago -- and if I had remembered it, I'm sure I would have put it on my list.

It's called Cinemania and it's about these people in New York who are OBSESSED with movies like... well, maybe like Mark F, but probably much worse. I don't know if there's truly any of these characters among us here. If there are, they might be keeping silent.

Anyway, I couldn't remember what it was called at first, but I was able to figure it out. It's on Youtube. You might enjoy watching it. Although, I started it but shut it off after a half hour, but I may get back to it.

These are people who see 5 or 6 movies a day in a theater. Or at least they did. I saw that Roberta, the old woman, is now dead. They seem like they have autism/Asperger's Syndrome, something like that, maybe.

One guy says he once watched 1,000 movies in a MONTH.
Attachments
Click image for larger version

Name:	Cinemania.JPG
Views:	455
Size:	59.1 KB
ID:	23976  

Yeah, I liked Cinemania too. Makes my movie watching seem less obsessive.
"Don't be so gloomy. After all it's not that awful. Like the fella says, in Italy for 30 years under the Borgias they had warfare, terror, murder, and bloodshed, but they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci, and the Renaissance. In Switzerland they had brotherly love - they had 500 years of democracy and peace, and what did that produce? The cuckoo clock."

Just watched Cinemania because it looked cool. Thanks for the recommendation, Sexy!

It's a pretty great documentary with some very "character revealing" scenes, in my opinion.

Oooh! Cave of Forgotten Dreams, I think, was on my list. Great doc, as expected by Herzog.

A couple of docs with dreams in the title. I watched The Kingdom of Dreams and Madness recently because of its placement in the top 100. I liked it and found it interesting to gain any insight into the Ghibli process, but on the whole I didn't think it was an exceptionally well made documentary or anything. Cave of Forgotten Dreams, on the other hand, is a great documentary made by one of the masters.

Cave of Forgotten Dreams is amazing, one of my very last cuts. Kingdom of Dreams and Madness was interesting it got me to read quite a bit about Ghibli, wasn't that close to making my list though.

Seen 14/40
My List 2/25

12.The Fog of War
13.Spellbound

The Kingdom of Dreams and Madness was a big surprise for me. I had it at #14, the third movie to make it from my list.

Camo had recommended The Cave of Forgotten Dreams to me, but it was one of many that I didn't get to.

A couple of docs with dreams in the title. I watched The Kingdom of Dreams and Madness recently because of its placement in the top 100. I liked it and found it interesting to gain any insight into the Ghibli process, but on the whole I didn't think it was an exceptionally well made documentary or anything.
But it's about Miazaki! It's also way above average in terms of quality of direction. At least one doc I watched made it.

Religilous was number 10 on my list, making four I believe.

It's not an in depth look of religion, but it is entertaining. And I love Bill Maher

Master of My Domain
Sh*t, I forgot to put The Kingdom of Dreams and Madness on my list. It made me respect Miyazaki even more and is one of my fav docs.

They must have been very short movies!
Short movies of course.
It turns out that the guy was actually saying EIGHT months. Not "a month."

But I'm not the only person who thought they heard "a month."

Master of My Domain
It turns out that the guy was actually saying EIGHT months. Not "a month."

But I'm not the only person who thought they heard "a month."
Well, that's disappointing. He didn't even beat our very own mark f.