The MoFo Top 100 Documentaries Countdown

→ in
Tools    

I've seen some (most of?) Woodstock and I was actually just thinking yesterday that I need to see it again -- since my Doors song won Song Tournament 14.
The Doors didn't play Woodstock. Neither did The Beatles or The Rolling Stones or Led Zeppelin or Bob Dylan or even Joni Mitchell, though she wrote a great song about it.
"Film is a disease. When it infects your bloodstream it takes over as the number one hormone. It bosses the enzymes, directs the pineal gland, plays Iago to your psyche. As with heroin, the antidote to Film is more Film." - Frank Capra

Well, whatever, I forgot. They still made me think about the Woodstock doc.

Burden of Dreams

Watched this last night and it was fantastic, would have definitely made my list. Beforehand all i knew about the making of the film was that the crew actually did pull a boat over a mountain. I wasn't aware that it was originally going to star Jason Robards and Mick Jagger (i would pick Kinski over just about any actor or two in this case) or the fact that just about anything that could go wrong did. From the initial political wrangling leading to Herzog and his crew being accused of all sorts of atrocities, all the problems with the boat, tribal violence, you name it it is truly a miracle that this film was ever made. I found it interesting that Herzog was accused of deliberately making things as tough as possible, with him saying he believes it will garner the best results from his crew. Werner is undoubtedly a genius but what i think i like best about him is that he is clearly a bit of a nutjob. Most other directors would give up at the first, second, third, fourth sign of trouble, i have to believe that Herzog loved overcoming these tremendous difficulties. Adored the last 15 minutes, Herzogs rant about the jungle was amazing could listen to that guy speak all day.

Anyway amazing film thanks to everyone who voted for it for bringing it to my attention, now all i have to do is watch Fitzcarraldo. Anyone who hasn't seen it really should. Here is a link to the full thing on YT.

(Michael Moore, 1989)
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0098213/

63 POINTS
5 LISTS

"Don't be so gloomy. After all it's not that awful. Like the fella says, in Italy for 30 years under the Borgias they had warfare, terror, murder, and bloodshed, but they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci, and the Renaissance. In Switzerland they had brotherly love - they had 500 years of democracy and peace, and what did that produce? The cuckoo clock."

Sorry if I'm rude but I'm right
Higher than Haxan? What is this?

I'll comment on everything and post my list after it's finished.

The Fog of War is the second from my list i had it at #12. It is one of three Morris docs i have seen so far which include one i expect to make the top 20, this is my favourite of his by far.

Roger & Me is OK, but I can't say it really resonated with me. It was a long time ago, though. I've not seen The Fog Of War despite really wanting to .

But Not Slight of Mind or Tongue...
I had Fog of War at #6 on my list. I'm a big fan of Errol Morris. I've seen all of his feature documentaries except for A Brief History of Time, and Fog of War is definitely my favorite. I found Robert McNamara to be one of the most fascinating characters I ever seen in a documentary and was entranced by the striking Philip Glass film score.

The People's Republic of Clogher
Roger & Me was my #5.

Moore's most personal, most heartfelt and best film.

Two documentaries that I've wanted to watch. I especially want to get to the Morris one now

I can't get at the images right now so it may be a bit later. I know you're all on the edge of your seats waiting the next two so I thought I should tell you to keep the edge off.

Looks like we'll have four tomorrow. Going to download all the images in advance so as not to have to rely on unreliable image hosts.

Your patience is greatly appreciated. In the meantime please enjoy 10 hours of dental plan Lisa needs braces.

In the meantime please enjoy 10 hours of dental plan Lisa needs braces.
Far better than the majority of these documentaries.