Describe your stomping grounds.

Tools    

Randomly visiting for now
Originally Posted by MovieMaker5087
A peaceful little suburb? I think not. It's The 'Burbs times 10.
Who wants a peaceful suburb? far too boring, I wish there were strange/interesting people living in my street. I've got a freaking senior citizen centre at the end of my street and young families living all around me . Peaceful? yes, interesting? NOOOO!

p.s. thanks for replying

I live in Columbus, Ohio. I wish I could say that it doesn't suck, but I'd be lying my ass off. I've lived all over, because my father was in the Air Force. Let's see, I've lived in Florida, Okinawa, Louisiana, Nebraska, Virginia, Spain, Germany, Massachusetts, and now here. My favorite place might very well be Spain. Very beautiful, and we could live in a huge house while paying very little compared to the U.S. We lived near a town called Toledo (pronounced toe-lay-doe), which was a gorgeous town. It was like one gigantic castle, with walls all over the place. The restaurants were great; my favorite was called "el porche". I would love to go back to Toledo someday.

I live in Cedar Springs, Michigan... The red flannel capital of the world! That's right, the red flannels with the little butt flaps! Of course we don't make them anymore, but at one time we did and seeing as how it's a crappy little town we have nothing else to cling to. We are probably best known for the idiot who tried to blow up the white house with cleaning products and gasoline and the few times we've appeared on CNN for having the stupidest criminals. When I moved here 10 years ago it was a town of 3,000 people that had several trailer parks and 3, count them 3, mobile home dealers. All kidding aside, it's a great place to live. The people are kind and the school system is decent. Heck, where else do random strangers plow your driveway for you and ask nothing in return while run away horses are forraging for food in your backyard

My Top 100 favorite movies.

Hello Salem, my name's Winifred. What's yours
My stomping grounds....Merry Ole England of course

I live in the fabulous county of ESSEX, and those of you who know any jokes about Essex girls feel free not to express them thankyou very much. I live in a town called Romford, a nice lil crap hole just outside london and near to Basildon. Actually where i personally live is quite nice cos i live on private property, safe from all the scumbags of my neighbourhood.

My town is what we in England would call 'pikey', with good reason too. All you guys seem to live in real nice places, cept me who lives in a scumbucket called Harold Hill, its a nifty little corner of Romford.

The People's Republic of Clogher
Originally Posted by undercoverlover
and those of you who know any jokes about Essex girls feel free not to express them thankyou very much.
Know any jokes? Crikey, I was married to an Essex girl so know if they're true or not.

(not telling of course )

In Soviet America, you sue MPAA!
I always thought of your stomping grounds as where you grew up...

I was born and raised in St. Louis, MO. And when I say in St. Louis, I don't mean some outlying county or suburb, I was in the city; South 18th street, 18 streets away from the river, 7 minute walk from Union Station. I lived in a great, historic neighborhood called Lafayette Square. My house was about 98 years old and was bought by my dad in 1979 for $12,000. He could have bought three houses in a row across the street for $14,000, but decided it was too much work to fix them up. My house had actually recently been burned down by, quite literally, crackheads. So after my dad rebuilt and restored the house (and pryed the bullets out of the front door), we moved in. Well, that's not true because we moved in when we bought it and it was still under work when I was born ('85). I called my brother to see if he had any pictures of our house on his computer (he moved back to St. Louis a couple years ago for school), sadly he didn't, but I did some searching on the net and was hit with a wave of nostalgia:

That'll give you a pretty good idea of the rareity that was my neighborhood. So lush and yet in the city. If that picture had been rotated to the right, you'd actually be able to see my old house. And I even found a picture of the backyard of the house across the alley from mine:

I was shocked when I saw this picture because my stomping grounds can quite literally be seen in the background there. Hell, 10 feet on the other side of the left corner of that picture is my house. Godbless the internet.

I spent my days hanging out with the neighborhood kids. The Whites, Ben and Nathan, lived across the street and the Anderson's, Eli, Ben and Joey (twins), lived around the corner on LaSalle. And my best friend Adam Boyd lived on the other side of the park. I went to Mullanphy elementary school and then Compton Drew, which was a magnet school for science and math. That was the school that turned me into a nerd because it had 8 computers in every room (which was HUGE back then). But schooling isn't what mattered, it was all about after school. It was all about summer.

The neighborhood has been cleaned up drastically since I lived there. My house was one street away from the projects, but it didn't stop us kids having our fun. We roamed the streets during the summer. Spent a TON of time in the gorgeous park up the street. There was a private pool a 5 minute walk away which was often the place to be if it was warm enough (which is May to September). If I had the money, I'd walk to Union Station and get a strawberry daqauri to start off my day. After the 4th of July we'd go to the riverbank and collect thousands of misfired fireworks and set them off. We'd race around the outside sidewalk of the park on our bikes. We'd play hockey on hickory street for about 6 hours a day, every day. We'd hop on the metro and catch Cardinal games in a matter of minutes. Us neighborhood kids would have epic shaving cream wars. I'm not too sure what the point was, but we'd just take all the shaving cream in our houses, go walk to a gas station and buy some, make teams and then run around spraying everyone (and everything) with shaving cream. Oh, youth....

I was a city kid. I loved it. Sure, I had my altercations. I even once had a gun pointed at me right in front of my house, but was too young (7?) and too stupid to realize it was a real gun and walked back in my house and told my mom some kids pointed a squirt gun at me. My brother, Ben and Eli would walk home from their middle school which was at least a mile away, through rough streets and were actually almost kidnapped once. A van skid in front of them and the door slid open, a guy jumped out with a gun and told them to get in so they took off running. Yah, our parents made sure they didn't walk that route anymore.

Union Station also had a movie theater, though it went out of business for a few years, but came back just before I moved (1998), so we'd walk own there and just buy a ticket for the first showing of whatever we could get into (which was usually anything) and stay and watch movies all day long.

I spent many days wandering Forest Park and the St. Louis Zoo (which is just AMAZING and if you ever visit the city and don't go to the Zoo, you're doing yourself a disfavor). My elementary school was sponsored by the St. Louis Botanical Gardens (and was right down the street from), so I was there weekly. My middle school was built right next door to the Science Center, so I was there all the time. Checking out the IMAX, or just running around doing the crazy things inside.

I had a great childhood.

I could tell stories til I'm blue in the face, but I'll leave you with some more pictures:

I love this freeking city!

Where all my money was spent.

Mullanphy Elementary School. Picture doesn't show the highway directly behind it or the ghetto surrounding it, makes it look like a boarding school, hehe.

The corner of Park St. right up the way from my house. Spent many a summer hours in the shops on that street.

Originally Posted by firegod
I live in Columbus, Ohio.
You do?! I live in Columbus, Ohio... NOW. I used to live in Manassas, Virginia, from ages 0-20.

I was born here in Pensacola, Florida during the Summer of 1966. The only memories I have of Pensacola during the sixties is the day we had to move. My Father got a promotion which meant relocating to Palm Springs California. We had to leave our horses because we had no room for them at the new house; we were going from 10 acres of land to a concrete pool for a back yard and gravel for a front one. My sisters were crying the whole time and I just wanted to stay because I saw that it made everyone else sad to leave. Well in the end it all worked out great, but it was a moment I will never forget. We left in '69 but like moths to a flame we returned many times over the years. I spent many wastful days of my youth doing nothing but being a beach bum. My grandmother had a house on the beach and someone from the family always seemed to be visting there, it was a place to go to see family and to just do ...........well.......nothing, I loved it. She has passed away and the house has been torn down and rebuilt, but I still pass the area now and then and remeber the great times I had when I was younger and the days of summer seemed to be endless. From my first beer to my first kiss Pensacola Beach holds many memories that I will never forget. Well enough of me and more about Pensacola:

The Blue Angels are here in Eglin and when they hold local shows the tourism blooms.

We have a strong gay comminity here, and Memorial day at the beach is insane.

Not long ago Gulf Breeze" a suburb of P'cola was declared the worlds most concentrated area of documented UFO sitings. I think the airfield and the Navy may have something to do with that.

Fort Pickens is famous for holding Geronimo.

In the 1700's the city was burned by the French.

We have some of the whitest beaches in the world.

A 3 bedroom home on a half acre of land costs about $500 a month to rent, about half the cost of almost anywhere else in Florida not counting the Everglade area.

Pensacola will always be home for me, I cannot say I will not leave again, but I plan to be here when I retire. A great place to raise a family and start your own buisness. Where else could you open a computer store on $250 and a prayer?

Originally Posted by SpoOkY
Anyway I live in the eastern suburbs of Melbourne, Australia. In a really friendly neighbourhood that has heaps of families living in it. About 2 minutes walk is the junction of several main roads that's surrounded in shops. There's really nice cafes and heaps of clothes shops that bring people every weekend, also there is a Art-Deco style cinema that's really cool.
Are you talking about the round-about close to the Fine Arts College? I spent a summer in Australia, and part of my visit I stayed with a host family in Melbourne.

Were you an exchange student, or what?
"Today, war is too important to be left to politicians. They have neither the time, the training, nor the inclination for strategic thought. I can no longer sit back and allow Communist infiltration, Communist indoctrination, Communist subversion and the international Communist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious bodily fluids."

Originally Posted by LordSlaytan
Were you an exchange student, or what?
No, I was 17, and a musician that went over there with a youth orchestra that was invited to go to an exhibition, and we toured Australia for about a month.

Originally Posted by SabreMan79
No, I was 17, and a musician that went over there with a youth orchestra that was invited to go to an exhibition, and we toured Australia for about a month.
Where in our beautiful country did you go? Melbourne is a bit cold for me.

Originally Posted by nebbit
Where in our beautiful country did you go? Melbourne is a bit cold for me.
Well, we didn't get around a whole lot, but we spent time with host families in Sydney and Melbourne. We toured Queensland, New South Wales, and Victoria, and a little of the Capitol Territory. The political houses were beautiful. All of the marble work and the tapestries were amazing.

I want to go and see Australia for a real vacation.

I grew up in, some would say, the sticks of North Carolina. Small town atmosphere...really nothing to do but hang out, play basketball, and go to field parties. Same as many of you i'm sure. Fun place though, but I would probably never go back to live there.

I want to go and see Australia for a real vacation.
You and Sexy should come, just to wet your appetite here are a few pictures of where I live in Australia, they are pictures of my garden, the view is what I see when I sit on my patio, the little boy pretending to be a monkey is my Nephews.

Originally Posted by nebbit
You and Sexy should come, just to wet your appetite here are a few pictures of where I live in Australia, they are pictures of my garden, the view is what I see when I sit on my patio, the little boy pretending to be a monkey is my Nephews.
What part of the Blue Mountains are you in? Is it close to the "three sisters" area?I went hiking in that area. I think there was some sort of path that we walked on and was some kind of zoo where I got to hold a koala, but only for a second. I wasn't even supposed to get to hold it because they have a lot of "incidents" that made it so visitors couldn't hold them any more, but I got to hold him with close observation.

It was a lot of fun, and a beautiful area.

I'd love to come back again.

EDIT - I thought that one picture was a view of the mountains, until i enlarged it and saw it was the ocean. What a view, either way, lol.

What part of the Blue Mountains are you in? Is it close to the "three sisters" area?I went hiking in that area. I think there was some sort of path that we walked on and was some kind of zoo where I got to hold a koala, but only for a second. I wasn't even supposed to get to hold it because they have a lot of "incidents" that made it so visitors couldn't hold them any more, but I got to hold him with close observation.

It was a lot of fun, and a beautiful area.

I'd love to come back again.

EDIT - I thought that one picture was a view of the mountains, until i enlarged it and saw it was the ocean. What a view, either way, lol.
I live near the sea, in Wollongong, south of Sydney. My sister used to live in the blue Mountains, very close to the three sisters.

Bug Planet Proximus
Originally Posted by SpoOkY
I wish there were strange/interesting people living in my street. I've got a freaking senior citizen centre at the end of my street and young families living all around me . Peaceful? yes, interesting? NOOOO!
heh, I know what you mean. There is a lawn bowls club on the corner of my block. I am now skilled at the art of avoiding conversation with overly-polite old people.