Describe your stomping grounds.

Tools    

BANNED
LOL! The camera, sadly! My sanity is still intact (just barely, though)!

what a flaming queer place to live
You might see us floating by-i--i

I'm an Irish Leprechaun
I live in Derry, Northern Ireland.

Dominating the Northwestern landscapes of Ireland, astride the fast-flowing waters of the Foyle, is a 6th Century city that today resonates to the sounds of the 21st Century.

Among the happiest of those sounds is the multi-lingual chatter of more international visitors than ever - from conference delegates and backpackers to cruise passengers and tourists of all kinds - who are discovering the delights of a compact city which is unlike any other.

Londonderry, also known as Derry, is the sparkle in the friendly eye of one of our most beautiful regions. It's a centre of culture and creativity, and is now as famous for its confident modern outlook as it is for the timeless quality of its craic.

Meander through the bustling streets of the only completely Walled City in the British Isles and listen to the echoes of 1450 years of history. Stroll along its 17th century Walls, and marvel at the the ever-changing skyline of a city which is constant only in in the warmth of its welcome. Here you can expect many a smile of greeting from people who are noted worldwide for their friendly hospitality.

Gateway to Ireland's Northwest, our city is pulsing with life, resonant with centuries of heritage and passion, yet fresh as an Atlantic breeze.

This is a joyful regional centre filled with celebration and inspiration, as manifested in the number and quality of our festivals and special events throughout the year. Energetic, outward looking and high-spirited, this is truly a city for all seasons.

It is also known for the worst day in it's history - Bloody Sunday

On January 30, 1972, soldiers from the British Army's 1st Parachute Regiment opened fire on unarmed and peaceful civilian demonstrators in the Bogside, Derry, Ireland, near the Rossville flats, killing 13 and wounding a number of others. One wounded man later died from illness attributed to that shooting.
The march, which was called to protest internment, was "illegal" according to British government authorities. Internment without trial was introduced by the British government on August 9, 1971.

The British-government-appointed Widgery Tribunal found soldiers were not guilty of shooting dead the 13 civilians in cold blood.

BANNED
Originally posted by NexijunRodent
what a flaming queer place to live
Actually, San Francisco is a very pleasant place to live. It is a beautiful locality and in the proximity of several major institutions of learning in the country, such as Stanford, Berkeley, UC Davis, etc. The resident population is generally very highly educated and broad-minded. They are also very socially conscious and conscientious. The city is one of few in the US that has a unique character to it, as opposed to being the standard bland, commercial shopping-mall suburbia. The fact that it happens to be a haven for gays only reflects on the broad-minded acceptance of the population at large. This is one of the few places in the US in which cultural and ethnic diversity are encouraged and exalted, and people are accepted for who and what they are, without necessarily having to conform to an established norm. Personally, I think San Francisco is a great place to live and a great place to be!

*bump*

Even though the last page of this thread got kind of mangled, the spirit yet remains. Since there are so many new members, I thought it might be nice to read what it's like at their "stomping grounds."
"Today, war is too important to be left to politicians. They have neither the time, the training, nor the inclination for strategic thought. I can no longer sit back and allow Communist infiltration, Communist indoctrination, Communist subversion and the international Communist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious bodily fluids."

Kaiser "The Devil" Soze
I live in Toronto Canada not by choice, but rather because I'm part of the witness protection program. I have a nice view of lake Ontario, and the CN tower (which is the tallest man-made object on earth) until Japan builds it monstrous pyramid city sometime within my lifetime(according to the discovery channel). I consider myself very safe in this neck of the woods, and I may be the only resident in the building to lock my door at night (not by choice but rather the program demands it). There is a nice blend of people in the building ; people from all walks of life whose life experiences never ceases to amaze me and the awesome things I 've learned from them, (like TWO UP) the quickest, fastest money reducing reagent known to man (well maybe next to women). They say that when you travel the world, the way you precieve life changes ... living here is very much like having the world brought to you. EVEN more Multicultural than MOFO

This place rocks, but don't get me wrong every night I stay up late and pray that my city will get a football team.In the meantime GO RAIDERS!!!

Originally Posted by LordSlaytan
*bump*

Even though the last page of this thread got kind of mangled, the spirit yet remains. Since there are so many new members, I thought it might be nice to read what it's like at their "stomping grounds."

A system of cells interlinked
I live in Marlborough Massachusetts, born and raised in Tucson Arizona. It is currently 32 F. A tad warm for this type of year but I will not complain. Marlborough is a suburb of Boston enjoying both clean mountain air and access to one of the largest cities in the country, all minutes away. When we head into Boston it is usually for some food and relaxing with our friends who live in the city. The DJ crew I spin with sometimes has two Psytrance monthly events that can be a lot of fun as well.

There is a lot of spectacular hiking camping out this way, as well as miles and miles of great mountain driving. I mention this because I just got a new car and have been zipping around the mountain roads here. The architecture around here is pretty cool as well, with old mills, churches, and stations around every bend. Sometimes you can almost taste the history here

I live in New York City in th Borough of Brooklyn.

I love NY, (tee hee, so sick of that slogan) and despite our crime rate I wouldn't have it any other way. So many things to see, Statue of Liberty, (homeless)Empire State Building, (more homeless) Broadway (singing homeless) etc...

New York is one of the biggest financial states in USA (then why so many homeless?) The best Designers bags (week of food for homeless) Designer shoes, new wardrobe for homeless) and designer jewelry, (no longer homeless).

So you see, despite the politics and selfishness of the officials in this glamorous city, NY is a great (expensive)place to live.

Talk to you later about (crowded subways and hold your bag tight)Brooklyn!

Note: My rendition of NYC is not to offend anyone but the politicians of this city who invest in so much outside of their backyard.

Venting is good.....lol

I live in the land of perpetual weather complaints, good 'ole England.
In the location of the East-end of London.

'It's 'a 'hole lot of cobblers, China. Where's the bleedin' sunshine, ol' Fridge and Freezer. Kyber Pass!!! This weather's radio rental'

It's pretty nice where I live. Semi-rural but leaning towards more urban. Got a great big field over the road (Flats) where they play Sunday Football and a forest down the over end that's part of what's called Epping Forest. Bus route, bowling green on the corner. Post Office, fishing lakes, high streets and so forth.

It's usually quite around here but there has been some crime. A car up the road was burnt out, there was fire down the other end of my road, someone got stabbed a little way away, the police cornered some guy at the top of my road, a stabbing, shootings, car theft, oh what fun.

On a wider scale its London without the extreme levels of traffic, congestion charges, or ticket officers. Still get the odd speeder though. Its pretty nice all around, if you ignore the darker element.

Originally Posted by Revenant
I live in the land of perpetual weather complaints, good 'ole England.
In the location of the East-end of London.

'It's 'a 'hole lot of cobblers, China. Where's the bleedin' sunshine, ol' Fridge and Freezer. Kyber Pass!!! This weather's radio rental'

It's pretty nice where I live. Semi-rural but leaning towards more urban. Got a great big field over the road (Flats) where they play Sunday Football and a forest down the over end that's part of what's called Epping Forest. Bus route, bowling green on the corner. Post Office, fishing lakes, high streets and so forth.

It's usually quite around here but there has been some crime. A car up the road was burnt out, there was fire down the other end of my road, someone got stabbed a little way away, the police cornered some guy at the top of my road, a stabbing, shootings, car theft, oh what fun.

On a wider scale its London without the extreme levels of traffic, congestion charges, or ticket officers. Still get the odd speeder though. Its pretty nice all around, if you ignore the darker element.
...West-End town with dead end walls...East-End boys...West End Girls...

I was always infatuated with London, such a wonderful place. I want to spend a day in a pub without caring about anything else going on in the world , go home and watch Eastenders and Black Adder (Can't forget Mr. Bean) and enjoy the moderate weather.

Originally Posted by piddzillas_girl
...West-End town with dead end walls...East-End boys...West End Girls...

I was always infatuated with London, such a wonderful place. I want to spend a day in a pub without caring about anything else going on in the world , go home and watch Eastenders and Black Adder (Can't forget Mr. Bean) and enjoy the moderate weather.
You have to make at least one jibe about the british weather to really fit in. Misery becomes us. Of course just watching Eastenders is enough to get you going on how we work and Blackadders good to get a bit of practice on british wit.

You've got the right idea there piddz_girl.

Randomly visiting for now
*bump

Stomp...stomp..stomp...ahh I just squished a bug.....icky....oh look now it's stuck to my shoe....

Anyway I live in the eastern suburbs of Melbourne, Australia. In a really friendly neighbourhood that has heaps of families living in it. About 2 minutes walk is the junction of several main roads that's surrounded in shops. There's really nice cafes and heaps of clothes shops that bring people every weekend, also there is a Art-Deco style cinema that's really cool.

What's really fun is the Sunday Market that is held in a big outdoor carpark, where about a 100 stands are set up that sell all sorts of stuff. There's heaps of 60's clothes surrounded by heaps of people wearing the clothes and for some reason these people are always funny and cheery. Last Sunday I bought a hot jam donut and a meat pie for lunch, then got a fairly old Muse cd real cheap and bought one of those bonzi trees for my room (looks very cool). I'm about a 15 minute train ride to the city, so most weekends I jump on the train and meet up with my buds somewhere and we seek out some live music, or pool, or movies, or sometimes we just randomly road trip to a beach like Portsea, Phillip Island or Merricks.

The weather is famously unpredicatable here, the weatherman always gets it wrong no matter how hard he tries. Feel bad for the guy really. The winter is really freezing here but we have quite a hot summer so it evens out. Making Spring and Autumn awesome weather. Today we had a cloudy morning before the sun came up and warmed up to 25 deg cels (75 F), with a cool breeze all day........just perfect....come to think of it what am I doing indoors on such a nice day. Might take the dog for a walk (west highland white terrier) cheerio - Joel

I was born in Pensacola, Florida in the summer of 1966. The memories of visiting my Grandmother "Nonnie" on Pensacola Beach are some of the oldest memories that dwell in my mind. She was the rock of the family during the last half of the 19th century and did a lot to help our city become what it is today. Pensacola and Pensacola Beach are both riddled with so much American history that it seems we are the "swiss cheese" of South-Eastern Americana; from Geronimo to Emmit Smith we have had many famous people and events happen here inland an on our shores.

Fort Pickens, The Blue Angels, the most documented UFO sitings, Gay Spring break, etc... we have it all. The biggest thing I love about my city is that it is a great place to raise children. I have moved away so many times I cannot remember the amount, but I have always returned. Pensacola is definitely a "family/retirement town" Single people will find it a bit boring except for the Summer months. It is one of the few cities in Florida that has actual snowfall accumulation on record. I remember building a snowman on the beach in 1976. We took pictures of it and everyone I show it to says it is a sandman. The beaches here have been call the whitest in the world so the beach doesnt look much different with snow on it. I love it here and the only thing that makes me think twice about living here is the hurricane season, Ivan hit us pretty hard last year. I had the opportunity to open my own buisness here with $500 and a lot of prayers. So far it has worked out well and I do not think I could have done that anywhere else I have ever lived. Pensacola, like any other city, has its ups and downs, but it is home so I guess I am biased, but it is a great place to live and raise a family.

http://www.pensacolabeachreservation...beach-sign.JPG
http://uwf.edu/enrserv/images_prosp/...te/page7_B.gif
http://archives.cnn.com/2001/US/07/1...nsacola.lg.jpg

The People's Republic of Clogher
I was brought up in Omagh (born in Belfast but we moved here when I was 4), a market town of around 30,000 people in west Tyrone, Ireland. It seems strange now but I spent 10 years trying to figure out a way of leaving the place - unemployment was sky-high, the British forces were increasingly oppressive to my teenage eyes, and there was only one decent bar.

It was (and still is) home to some of the prettiest girls you'll ever see though - but the negatives outweighed this obvious plus.

I got my wish and packed bags for England in 1991, not returning for good until 11 years had passed. The bomb in 1998 didn't help, 29 died that day and ripped the heart out of a town - those who could drifted away, the crime rate rose and for a good 2 years no amount of cranes and builders could disguise the devastation.

There's now a community centre on the site of the Cozy Corner bar (where I used to meet friends to begin our nights out) which was obliterated that day and life is slowly returning to normal.

I now live 20 miles away, which is far enough and close enough.

*Interesting Omagh fact no.1 (in a series of one) - Renouned Kiwi actor Sam Neill was born here, though his parents named him Nigel...

Neutral Milk Hotel
My humble abode is in the small town of HELL. Its quite nice there except for the extreme temperatures and the screaming all around you but you know what, for me its not that bad.

Actually My abode is in a small suburb of Cleveland Ohio. My house is at the end of a very long street where Moviemaker 5087 also resides. I have a large tree in my front yard and John Glenn Elemantary School is nearby. Its not a bad place to live except for the school system but I feel very at home here.
" I see in your eyes, the same fear that would take the heart of me. A day may come when the courage of men fails, whe we forsake our friends and break all bonds of fellowship, but it is not this day. May and hour of wolves and shattered shields before the age of men comes crashing down, but it is not this day! This day we Fight! For all that you hold dear on this good earth, I bid you stand men of the west!!"
-Aragorn: The Lord of the Rings the Return of the King

I just know they're coming to kill me.
Originally Posted by Uncle Rico
Actually My abode is in a small suburb of Cleveland Ohio. My house is at the end of a very long street where Moviemaker 5087 also resides.
I have never seen this man before in my life.

Randomly visiting for now
Originally Posted by MovieMaker5087
I have never seen this man before in my life.
, well then what are your stomping grounds MovieMaker5087?

I just know they're coming to kill me.
Originally Posted by SpoOkY
, well then what are your stomping grounds MovieMaker5087?
Alright, alright... it's true, I do live down the street, right by ol' Uncle Rico. We do live in a small suburb of Cleveland, Ohio, but I will not say the city's name for I have a fear of sexual predators. There is the school, and our street is filled with old people who range from nice to complete jerks. We have a Russian family, craving vengeance on democracy. We have a neighbor who's dogs bark 24-7... but it's cool. They're cool. I have a mean old lady living across the street, a weird family whom I have reason to believe are either severly strange and weird or are just the workers for the Antichrist (I'm serious about that. They're just so darn nice that it seems that anyone that nice surely must be extremelly evil...), a family filled with quacks that are cool but drunk, funny and scary at times, and who also shares a basement with whom we believe to be a prostitute. (You all might think this is a joke... oh no. Ask Uncle Rico to confirm it... we do have people like this who live by us... however, their occupations and behavior are merely based on theory, not fact... yet) And finally, a family who won't let their children see the light of day until all their homework and chores and everything else that can make their kids (both of which are 14 and 18) stay inside. Oh, let's not forget about the woman who has her Christmas tree up ALL YEAR LONG! Rico might not know of her, since she lives down the "other end" of the street.

A peaceful little suburb? I think not. It's The 'Burbs times 10.