Describe your stomping grounds.

Tools    

The thread title speaks for itself. I'll start.

I live in Portland, Oregon USA. Right now it’s 10:35 in the morning, sunny and 55F / 12.6C. I have traveled all over our diverse country as well as abroad, and I firmly believe Portland is one of the fairest cities of them all. Not only because of the bronze statues that are everywhere in the city, or because of the thousands of trees peppered everywhere within it's skyscraper boundaries and buildings of antiquity. Not just because of the dozens of elaborate fountains and city parks, or the stadiums, or the mighty Willamette River that splits our city down the middle, or because we have one of the highest rated transit systems in the world with it’s varied uses of trains, trolleys, and hundreds of buses, or the fact that many a city police force are modeled after our own.

The main reason for Portland being such a wonderful place to live is its location. From my doorstep it’s only an hours drive west to the Oregon Coast. If I’d rather go skiing then I can drive an hour to the north to reach Mt. Hood where Timberline Lodge is located. The Shining’s exterior’s were filmed there. I can drive east for about an hour as well to get to some of the most exceptional white water rafting in the Pacific Northwest, located at Hood River. Just two hours drive south is where the Oregon desert is prevalent. A little known fact about Oregon is that a third of its landscape is desert. Most of the remaining part’s of Oregon are some of the most beautiful National Forest’s in the country. I can go camping in a very short drive in just about any direction I head.

The weather here can be wonderful at times, especially during the last decade, which seems to be showing some climate changes around the world. Normally we have been known for being a wet state with a high percentage of rain annually. Actually, our weather is pretty similar to Paris, which is on the same parallel with Portland. Lately, however, we have had milder winters and longer, warmer summer’s. It’s not unheard of to average upper eighties to mid nineties during the latter part of summer, and to go all winter without a flake of snow. We only have mild earthquakes occasionally, floods seldom, and tornadoes are unheard of. Droughts here are so severe that we can’t water our lawns but twice a week (gasp).

Unfortunately, Oregon has some of the worst forest fires anywhere. I believe our state had the largest in the country last summer, Colorado coming in second. Oregon also has the worst unemployment in the country, and if any of you ever read the comic strip Doonesbury then you might be aware that we also have the worst funded public school system as of late. Very sad what the voters here accomplished this year. Because of a measure that recently failed; the budget for our public schools, city police force, public health and housing, and homeless, were all severely cut. Hundreds, if not more, mentally ill and elderly people were tossed out on the street, our public schools had 28 days shaved off their calendars, and hundreds of city police were laid off. And now, the city wants its taxpayers to pay for a new ballpark so we can purchase a professional baseball team and move them here, ugh.

So Portland has it’s blights as well, but at least not with her beauty. Sometimes I get tired of being here, and just want to go away somewhere like I used to. But I’m older now and pretty set in my ways, so I think I’ll stick around.
"Today, war is too important to be left to politicians. They have neither the time, the training, nor the inclination for strategic thought. I can no longer sit back and allow Communist infiltration, Communist indoctrination, Communist subversion and the international Communist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious bodily fluids."

I am having a nervous breakdance
I think it's a great thread too, but I will respond to it when I have more time and am in a more promotive mood.

--------

They had temporarily escaped the factories, the warehouses, the slaughterhouses, the car washes - they'd be back in captivity the next day but
now they were out - they were wild with freedom. They weren't thinking about the slavery of poverty. Or the slavery of welfare and food stamps. The rest of us would be all right until the poor learned how to make atom bombs in their basements.

Get Low, Get Low, Get Low
I reside in an apartment a mile away from where the Little League World Series is played in South Williamsport, PA. Normally, i come from Sunbury PA, but while in college i live in South Williamsport. Before that, lived in Bloomsburg, PA (the only town in PA, actually). Before that i lived in Irvine California for 5 years. The weather in PA.....SUCKS!!!!, don't ever come here...Sorry Gracie...your stuck here for sometime.
I am planning on moving as soon as i get my degree!!!

Plus a lady fan of PimpDaShizzle V2.0 and Most importantly JRS

Cool idea Slay... I've enjoyed reading all the posts and will add where I live soon...

AiSv Nv wa do hi ya do...
(Walk in Peace)

I live in Lund in Sweden which is a town in the absolute south of Sweden. The weather here right now is what we call typical april-weather, that is warm like summer one day and cold the other. This evening, 10:07 pm, it's cloudy and pretty warm. It's nice.

Lund is a very old town, over 1000 years old, and very very beautiful with some very old preserved houses and buildings, some from as way back as the middle ages. We also have a very old and beautiful cathedral. The town center is very special because of all the old buildings and it's actually a nightmare to drive through the center because it's one ways and "no cars allowed" everywhere. That's why everybody here ride bikes, but of course I don't. I walk.

Lund have about 100 000 citizens of which about 25 000 are students. The University of Lund is one of the oldest in Sweden (founded in the 17th century) and is kind of the heart of the town. One of northern Europe's biggest, if not the biggest research center is situated here which of course has lead to that we have a lot of exchange students, researchers and scientists from all over the world living here. The research center focuses on electronics, medical science, biocehmistry and other things I know nothing about. It's a very diverse atmosphere here and I think we have the youngest population of all the towns and cities in Sweden.

There's a lot of student places to go to and party and there's always high life here during the semesters, especially in late spring and early fall. But on the holidays Lund sucks. The summers here are real crappy when a lot of the students go home over the summer. If you don't have a car either it's almost unbearable since you have to drive to get to the beach.

The climate here is ok. In the spring, summer and early fall. But november-march is a real test for your mental health. Windy, rainy, humid and cold. It's no real winter here like in the north of Sweden. We usually get some snow down here in january or so but most of the time it's just dark around here during that time. But the swedish summer is awsome! It's so beautiful here in all of Sweden during the summer that my heart almost hurt. Trust me, if you come here on vacation - you would not be disappointed. I've been to the far north of Sweden in may, and it's amazing. The sun never sets. But that's not in Lund of course.... sorry...

Hmmm... What else... Max von Sydow is from Lund.

My life isn't written very well.
I'm originally from San Francisco--Northern California. I moved to San Diego (Southern California) about 2 years ago. There is a difference between them, both in culture and climate, but they are equally as exciting.

Ocean Beach is where I live now. It is a small town just off of the 5 freeway which connects us to all destinations within California. In fact, if I were to get on the 5 from my doorstep and merge onto the 101, I'd eventually end up at the doorstep to my house in SF.

I like San Diego because of the weather naturally. It never seems to dip below 68 degrees at any time during the year, and it gets as high as 80 degrees F in summer and spring. I live within walking distance to the beach, in a historic cottage my partner and I restored and now rent out to the summer tourists.

Ocean Beach is a destination for many tourists, and we have an international airport with one British Airways 777 that flys from here to England everyday. The main promanade in OB is Newport Avenue, there you can shop for antiques, have a drink at a bar overlooking the beach or stroll to the end of the longest pier in CA.

Dog Beach is also popular with tourists. It was voted as one of the best beaches on Travel Channel's "Best of..." series. People can let their dogs off the leash to splash around in the surf or just run around on the sand. It is a secluded beach so people sun tanning or relaxing aren't bothered by snooping hounds.

OB is also very laid back. If your not careful you might be solicited for drugs or cigarettes within a parking lot. But not to worry, the Police patrol the area often and those types are usually dealt with accordingly. I do love it here. I miss San Francisco though. But if you're ever in San Diego, give Ocean Beach visit--it's worth it.

r66-The member who always asks WHY?

I live in Manassas, Virginia ~~ it's where Lorena Bobbit and her ex-husband, John Wayne, and his ex-penis used to live ten years ago. Last year, it was also a murder site, thanks to the Beltway Sniper. I like it here.

I live in Australia, in the state of New South Wales. I live in a town called Wollongong, in the suburb of Austinmere, now I know they are funny names, Wollongong is an indigenous aboriginal name, and Austinmere was I think named after a guy called Austin Mere?

It is a coastal town with about 350,000 people living here, it takes about 1 and a half hours to drive from one end to the other.

The beaches hear are really lovely and the sand is so white, people from The western suburbs of Sydney flock to them in Summer.

Its like a huge country town with all or everything you would want in a big city like Sydney, theater, music, sports, pub's, dancing, musems,food,shopping, without the crowds and remember the beaches.

I live on 5 acres and have a great view of the sea. Besides the usual wild life you know, cockroaches etc we have many birds, many lizard species, Red belly black snakes yuk, Possums, Kangaroos, bandicoot's like a large rat with a long nose, and of course many and varied Spiders, Oh my god that makes it sound like a horrible place to live but it's just to put people off coming, to Wollongong so we can have it all to ourselves.

Originally posted by r3port3r66
Ocean Beach is where I live now. It is a small town just off of the 5 freeway which connects us to all destinations within California. In fact, if I were to get on the 5 from my doorstep and merge onto the 101, I'd eventually end up at the doorstep to my house in SF.
Cool. "Ocean Beach" is a great cd by Red House Painters who are from San Fransisco, I think.

Originally posted by Fox
does anyone else think it would be cool to add a photo of your 'hometown'?
Sure! I'll see what I can find.

Originally posted by nebbit
I live in Australia, in the state of New South Wales. I live in a town called Wollongong, in the suburb of Austinmere, now I know they are funny names, Wollongong is an indigenous aboriginal name, and Austinmere was I think named after a guy called Austin Mere?
Wollongong. What a fantastic name.

bandicoot's like a large rat with a long nose, and of course many and varied Spiders, Oh my god that makes it sound like a horrible place to live but it's just to put people off coming, to Wollongong so we can have it all to ourselves.
Who hasn't played Crash Bandicoot... Cool little fellow.

I forgot to mention that I live in a big student complex - looks like Hitler's bunker or something. I live on the ground floor in a 4-room apartment with two roomies. The complex is called Sparta and that pretty much says all about the standard of the apartments. But I like it because it's cheap and since it's only students living around us it means you can have a party all night without anyone being too pissed off.

Originally posted by Sexy Celebrity
I live in Manassas, Virginia ~~ it's where Lorena Bobbit and her ex-husband, John Wayne, and his ex-penis used to live ten years ago. Last year, it was also a murder site, thanks to the Beltway Sniper. I like it here.
Yeah, represent!

I live 5 minutes from Jason in a little town called Bristow. The main hangouts in Manassas are Mike's Diner, Borders, hoyts cinemas (which is the worst theater ever) and any number of different houses where the parents don't care if we smoke herb (if that's a problem, it's usually my car that's hotboxed.) It's pretty depressing, really, but I'm also about 20 minutes from the metro station, which zooms me into DC. As I don't smoke the mary jane anymore, that seems to be what I'm doing most often.

The main disadvantage of living where I do is that a car is absolutely essential. It's impossible to walk anywhere, since Manassas is basically a big highway flanked by restaurants, stores, and gas stations. I prefer to ride the metro for 30 minutes to get into DC instead of drive around town looking for something to do. Still, most of the homies live within a 20-mile radius of each other, so hanging out isn't ever really a problem. It's just a matter of finding things to do other than drugs.

Jason, you need to tell me where your house is. I'll be there in a jif.

My palace is in Westgate, down past the McDonalds, Toys R Us, Blockbusters, and the Global Food. A house that was struck by the hail storm on August 3, 2002 and has been repainted and everything. My hangout, I would have to say, is Target, where I'm at several times a week with my shopaholic mom. I don't do drugs or go into D.C. often.

Get Low, Get Low, Get Low
pictures of my stomping ground
The first one is an overlook of williamsport

This is an overlook of Sunbury

As you can see i live along the Susquehanna River-Which is a major river that runs through several states.

I live in Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania USA. It's 5:13 pm Wednesday April 29, 2003 right now and it's swimming and kayaking weather, about 70-75 F. I was born and I'm still being raised in Pittsburgh, and I love it. The neighborhood I live in is nice, although I think we have a drug-deal 50 ft away, but it's near a huge shopping cneter with every store you can think of in it, and a nice biking/hiking trail within walking distance.

Unfortunately, Pittsburgh has really bad taxes and alot of people are leaving. I don't have many friends that I know in person, but I do have everyone here on MoFo. I don't really need to get out for a change of pace anyway because we have a HUGE yard. The biggest in the neighborhood! Plus, Pittsburgh has one of the nicest stadiums! Really, how many stadiums have an Outback Steakhouse in them? Plus, the Primanti's sandwich is the most heavenly sandwich you'll ever taste!

I'm not old, you're just 12.
I live in Franklin, MA, which is a small town in the Boston Area. It was named after Ben Franklin (although the history books try to say it wasn't), who visited a total of once, and left behind a bunch of books that are still at our library, but you can't touch or look at them crooked or they'll fall apart. There's a college in the center of town, which would make you believe it's a fun place to live, but it's not really. It's where boring white yuppies move to when they have kids and don't want to raise them in the city, what with all the crime and minorities .....(Franklin has a lot of racist skinheads.) There are also NO good record shops or comic stores in Franklin, so you know it's a bust....

The best part of my town is the train station, which takes you to the greatest city in America, Boston. Yeah, there's also the coffee shop, which is just tasty, and a movie theater where you can see movies for four bucks. So it's not all bad. And the college girls are really hot.

https://shawnsmovienight.blogspot.com/

I live in Mount Gambier, which is at the very bottom of South Australia. It is founded at the base of an extinct volcano, and was discovered in the 1700s when some guy spotted the peak [it is surrounded by plains, so don't think spotting its peak was anything special; the "mountain" is basically a larger than average hill] from an exploration ship of sorts. Anyway. Mount Gambier [it tells itself] is "world famous" for the Blue Lake. A lake that is [basically] uncharacteristically blue for six months of the year. Apparently because of the bacteria in it. This is also the source of the town's drinking water [my family gets rain water]. Add two and two, please.

The people are interesting enough. Very much preoccupied with sport, and very unnaccepting of anyone who succeeds in anything other than it. I have a love/hate relationship with the place. I really dislike many, many aspects [the local newspaper is a travesty, for example], but at the same time, the closer I get to leaving it, the more certain I am that evntually I will be coming back for some reason. The screenplay I am writing at the moment mixes my two feelings; it hates the people that live in the area, it hates their attitudes and mannerisms, but it paints a picture of suprising beauty. We have vineyards and astounding coastline, bushland, farmland, all these things that look amazing. And it is home, as different and detached as I often feel.

I might go into more later, if there are any questions.

The best place in town, by the way, is the Church. It is a standard, normal Church, but it strikes fear in my heart everytime I go near it. It is awe inspiring, though it isn't really very different. Maybe all churches do that to me...