True Detective (HBO) Official Thread

Tools    

Don't know if any of you guys picked this up, but there's some foreshadowing that something is going to happen with Marty's eldest daughter. They've quietly developed her character a bit, and given her background (broken family, father has zero emotional affinity with her) she's prone to religion and cults, just so she can have something to believe in life. I think it's likely that something bad is going to happen with her in the upcoming episodes.
I think youre gonna be proven right sunday Bro'

but now you have my attention
Haven't started watching it yet, but defo on my list, love both these actors.

Great show. Gotta catch up on the wife reveal episode and go from there but I think we all pretty much called that woody harrelsons character would end up divorced (I'm guessing rust slept w/his wife), and that the two current detectives are looking to pin the current murder on rust as well.

Season 2 should be interesting!

The Adventure Starts Here!
Mack, season two will be a completely different story with different characters. It's billed as an anthology show. So, next week is the last we see of these guys -- which upsets me for various reasons.

Anyway, I thought last night's episode (episode 7 of 8) was the weakest so far. It felt like all talk, no action. Seems like Rust spent the whole episode TELLING things to Marty -- just to bring him (and us) up to speed. I think it felt rushed and felt too much like someone realized they had only two episodes left to tell us everything we need to know.

I assume the finale will be as good as the other episodes, but this one really threw me for a loop because of how different it was from all the others. Oh well... at least Matthew won his big award last night.

Next up? Emmy for this show!

I agree with Austruck definitely the slowest episode so far. I was was anticipating so much more. At least we got to see spaghetti face though. I wonder if the Finale will be longer than an hour? It seems like it should be(I mean I hope so!)

I thought it was a brilliant episode. It was supposed to lack pace. Everything is now happening in present day. Everything is coming to a head in a "calm before the storm" type scenario.

Best tv show I've seen in ages.

I thought it was a brilliant episode. It was supposed to lack pace. Everything is now happening in present day. Everything is coming to a head in a "calm before the storm" type scenario.

Best tv show I've seen in ages.
Exactly, everything gets up to to one nice timeline and everything is in place for the action that is undoubtedly about to occur in the finale, which I have no doubts will be brilliant.

The Adventure Starts Here!
Saying that episode was supposed to lack pace doesn't really address the issue I had with it: It completely broke the rule of "Show, don't tell."

We found out nearly *everything* in that whole episode because one character just blurts it out to another character. Nothing actually really happened -- we just heard about things that happened at other times.

Every show and movie does some of this, but this one episode did it nearly all the way through. Which, if they really didn't have time to walk us through some of these things and *show* us with some action, rather than telling it to us as backstory and catch-up, tells me this particular story should have been a lot longer than just eight episodes. Maybe 12 or 13?

It's the only real gripe I've had with this show so far -- and because all the previous episodes have been so well paced and well done, this one really stuck out as different.

Just expanding my previous point a little -- not griping or harping on it. I AM really eager to see the finale this weekend! But will be sad to see these characters go.

I just noticed the YouTube button is gone and not necessary anymore. Nice!

Well, this theory seems to be viable...

"Film is a disease. When it infects your bloodstream it takes over as the number one hormone. It bosses the enzymes, directs the pineal gland, plays Iago to your psyche. As with heroin, the antidote to Film is more Film." - Frank Capra

Saying that episode was supposed to lack pace doesn't really address the issue I had with it: It completely broke the rule of "Show, don't tell."

We found out nearly *everything* in that whole episode because one character just blurts it out to another character. Nothing actually really happened -- we just heard about things that happened at other times.

Every show and movie does some of this, but this one episode did it nearly all the way through. Which, if they really didn't have time to walk us through some of these things and *show* us with some action, rather than telling it to us as backstory and catch-up, tells me this particular story should have been a lot longer than just eight episodes. Maybe 12 or 13? (
I'm not really sure I understand your criticisms here. It was impossible for us to show us the information revealed through backstory and 'showing' us. It was the most realistic and inevitable way of bringing the story up to pace. So far all we have had are theories and mysteries, and we know pretty much everything from Marty's perspective. The ONLY way he was going to get up to speed was through Rust telling him what he had found, this would have happened in real life. Nothing actually happened? We get conclusive evidence that the Tuttles are involved and confirmation that there is a secret group of men, we find out who the killer is.

How would you have had it done in terms of Marty and Hurt getting on the same track ready to take down the killer together?