True Detective (HBO) Official Thread

Tools    

Just watched episode 5 and all I can say is I'm lost. I think that they are trying to say Rust is the killer or he has some personal interest tot the case that we are not privy to yet.
Ok I just finished episode 5, and here is how I understand it so far...

WARNING: "True Detective Episode 5" spoilers below
Ok so the interviews the black detectives are conducting has been to get a bead on Russ Cole. They think he did it. Up to this episode it kinda seemed like he was capable, but now theres a twist.

Russ is introducing this Yellow King evidence again told to him by a suspect he was questioning in something unrelated. Russ Cole believes there is a satanic cult or what not, and their members run high up in the system. Including the police department.

Marty's a brick. He's loyal, and I like Marty even though he's a good ole boy in the wrong way too much. I especially liked how Cole backed Marty killing that p.o.s. in cold blood. He backed him so quickly and casually I chuckled.

Is Cole guilty?! The last scene in the episode tells us either he gets too enthusiastic in the satanic ...whatever the hell you call it, or he's beginning a personal investigation to ferret out all the guilty parties. He's seen at recent crime scenes as a killer returning to the crime, or someone still investigating perhaps.

I think he's innocent, and is hopefully going to uncover the guilty parties. Why?! Because the name of the show is True Detective. Russ Cole comes off like Sherlock Holmes functioning on junk, and theres three episodes left. This show has been too sound to stretch out a Cole is guilty idea for three episodes as the finish.

I havent watched a program so hard. This is the best tv series on television, and that includes Game Of Thrones. I did not think that possible. AUGH! ONLY 8 EPISODES!

I don't think Cole's guilty, because if he is that means that the camera has lied as we've seen a lot of stuff from his perspective, but the last episode does make you think. I did find it strange though when:

WARNING: "True Detective" spoilers below
He asked Reggie "why the antlers?"

I don't think Cole's guilty, because if he is that means that the camera has lied as we've seen a lot of stuff from his perspective, but the last episode does make you think.
WARNING: "True Detective E5" spoilers below
Agreed. Plus, it seems too straightforward a "twist" for this show. If it were that simple it would be a big letdown. The twist in episode 5 is simply that the detectives in 2012 suspect Cohle of the murders, and that's more than enough to keep us guessing (along with that wonderfully ambiguous ending), but there's a lot more twists and turns to come, I'm sure.

Finished here. It's been fun.
This show's cinematography and mood is immaculate in my eyes. It definitely has a hint of Twin Peaks. I don't think Rust is the killer, I think it's some sort of cult personally.

And when I'm all alone I feel I don't wanna hide
I wonder why the writers left this out:

Cole and Martin having a good time.

I think its obvious that since the interrogation where the suspect talked about the yellow man, Rust went off the rails and took matters in to his own hands. We see him retrieving evidence for himself, and it looks like he has already been working very hard solving the latest crime scene. They're going to go to his home/storage and find all those weird wooden triangle things and wonder how he has them I think.

Well we all know one thing, it sure aint Marty! Oh man this shows gripping, and I hope it ends well. To hope for a "good" ending may be farfetched.

Does anyone else think the senior detective in 2012 (Michael Potts) looks like ESPN's Tom Jackson? To bad he doesnt play his part like he was, because Tom Jackson vs Rust Cohle would be a hilarious debate.

Well we all know one thing, it sure aint Marty!

You sure?

It really is a fantastic show. I'm totally hooked. The end shot of that last episode where the camera pans out through the smashed window was just superb. I agree with whoever said it is directed immaculately.

Im pretty sure that is suppose to be in the finale.

I would be shocked if Cole is the killer. Episode 5 was really compelling. The scene where they find the kids inner cut with them both telling the same lie, brilliant editing and story telling. Rivaled the finale of episode 4 for me. This show went from ho-hum to enthralling in the last two episodes for me.

Just watched Episode 6 and this show just gets better and better. Everything is starting to make sense now, things are coming together. I think episodes 7 and 8 are going to be going to be non stop intense build up to a much anticipated climax. I have a feeling one of them are going to die though. I can't wait till next Sunday!

And when I'm all alone I feel I don't wanna hide
Not sure if anyone has picked up on this yet, but I recently discovered this:

(from episode 5)

(from episode 6)

Knowing the depth these writers make, I doubt it's a coincidence.

Amazing episode.

An augh & a sigh as there were some things said in episode 6 that I couldnt make out what they were saying! This show would do well with subtitltes between McConaugheys Brando mumble or Martys wife.

Got a comment and a question in the Spoiler box below. As for Coles innocence, now Im waffling. The things that alarm me the most is....

WARNING: "True Detective E6" spoilers below
...the fact there has never been a testimonial of Coles ex-girlfriend, the one he was seeing when he was partnered with Marty. Also the fact the girl in the psyche ward went ballistic when looking closely at Rusts face.

Got a question - What was Martys wife saying to Cole after they had sex? Was she telling him she was gonna tell Marty? Is that why he completely went off on her?

This is from a another movie they did together in 2008 called "Surfer, Dude".

There is absolutely no way the Cohle is the killer, absolutely now way. It was a possibility in the first couple of episodes where we hadn't seen much, but right now it's impossible, unless the camera is lying to us and the writer is really that stupid, why would Cohle be investigating himself, it makes no sense. The main killer (I think its becoming pretty apparent this is a cult thing) is whoever the spaghetti monster guy is, maybe the school groundskeeper guy.

Don't know if any of you guys picked this up, but there's some foreshadowing that something is going to happen with Marty's eldest daughter. They've quietly developed her character a bit, and given her background (broken family, father has zero emotional affinity with her) she's prone to religion and cults, just so she can have something to believe in life. I think it's likely that something bad is going to happen with her in the upcoming episodes.

Got a question - What was Martys wife saying to Cole after they had sex? Was she telling him she was gonna tell Marty? Is that why he completely went off on her?
She told him that it had to be him, because there's no way Marty could swallow that pill and she'd be sure to be rid of Marty for good. She had to do something unforgivable. That's why she didn't **** the stranger from the bar. Rust then realized that he had been played, and in spite of him being a very cynic, unorthodox guy, he's got certain principles and integrity, and he's pissed at himself for crossing them, as well at her for tricking him into crossing them.