True Detective (HBO) Official Thread

Tools    

Love that opening sequence Daniel. I liked, didnt love, the first two episodes. The lead performances are very good. The show is cinematic. I think it is going to unravel nicely but am not 100% convinced, thus my reservations to call it great as of yet.
Fair enough. Yeh the leads are so good, it makes me upset to think that we're only gonna get eight episodes of Woody and Matthew, and how it could be so good without them

I saw someone on Twitter describe it as 'what Michael Mann's Manhunter would look like if it was directed by Terence Malick', quite a fitting description I think

Also, I loved this quote:

"I think human consciousness is a tragic misstep in evolution. We became too self-aware. Nature created an aspect of nature separate from itself. We are creatures that should not exist by natural law. We are things that labor under the illusion of having a self. A secretion of sensory experience and feeling, programmed with total assurance that we are each somebody. When in fact, everybody's nobody. I think the honorable thing for our species to do is deny our programming, stop reproducing, walk hand-in-hand into extinction, one last midnight, brothers and sisters opting out of a raw deal."

Late to the party. Solid first episode. Looks gorgeous at times and despite my general distaste for McConnaughey I'm starting to see a nuanced character already. He's growing on me, I guess. Harrelson is good, too.

Great mix of murder mystery and character study so far. Has definitely done enough to keep me watching at least for a little while.

Finished here. It's been fun.
This show is phenomenal. I'm in love. I'm hooked. This is Grade-A Television. Gorgeous cinematography,incredible acting, exceptional writing and great pacing.

This 3rd episode was great.Rust and Marty are awesome.

3rd episode is the best yet, I think:

E1

E2

E3
+

I thought it was lacking some Fincheresque grit to go along with the tantalising, slow-build mystery and the great character development so far and episode 3 really brought that. Don't love it as much as Lucas, but it's definitely caught my attention and imagination.

I don't really get people calling this 'slow'. Or maybe I just watch too many 'slow' things :s And I don't get your hate for McConaughey in general Skepsis, he's been great in like every film I have seen him in, and this character is his best yet, Harrelson is brilliant too, the 'mowing the lawn' speech he gives was so brilliant.

I don't really get people calling this 'slow'. Or maybe I just watch too many 'slow' things :s And I don't get your hate for McConaughey in general Skepsis, he's been great in like every film I have seen him in, and this character is his best yet, Harrelson is brilliant too, the 'mowing the lawn' speech he gives was so brilliant.
It's slow in the sense that most detective thrillers don't generally spend their whole runs on one case. People are used to the one-case-an-episode stuff like CSI and Criminal Minds. This is the good kind of slow though.

I do like McConaughey in this, but the dude seems to exude arrogance. That and he always seems to play the same damn guy. This is changing that, though, I think.

The Adventure Starts Here!
Three episodes in, and I'm completely hooked. I'm upset to think this is only going to be 8 episodes. I can't imagine whatever part of the "anthology" will come up next could be any better than this is so far. Great character study AND great crime story. You can cut the ambiance with a knife -- it's so thick and pervasive.

And, that title sequence and song are so perfect. I turn up the surround-sound speakers for that.

I do see that Harrelson and McConaughey are both executive producers -- of the whole anthology/series, though, or just this segment? In other words, is this like American Horror Story -- same actors but in different upcoming stories? That'd be interesting...

In any event, there is a Web site put out by HBO to explore the show further: http://www.darknessbecomesyou.com/

Such a shame we're not getting an episode tonight because of the superbowl.

Dumb question: After searching HBO's site and a few other places, I haven't found anything to indicate that this is an anthology show, with short seasons/different stories.

Can someone post a good, credible link for this fact? Thanks!

Dumb question: After searching HBO's site and a few other places, I haven't found anything to indicate that this is an anthology show, with short seasons/different stories.

Can someone post a good, credible link for this fact? Thanks!
No source, but yeah its true. This is an anthology series, so next season expect to see new characters, a new case, and a brand new setting. Frankly I'm okay with this, although I will miss Rust and Marty once this season is over.

This show is awesome! I just got caught up. Very intense! This show is a little slow, but they are building up the characters for us. After I had watched episode 3 I could not stop thinking about the show. I have a feeling Rust is going to do Martin's wife's taxes at some point (If you know what I mean ). How creepy was that ending of episode 3? I'm so freaking excited for the next episode!

If there is no source, including the HBO site, how do you know?

Not trying to be a curmudgeon, but I just am curious how you know this if you have no source information.

If there is no source, including the HBO site, how do you know?

Not trying to be a curmudgeon, but I just am curious how you know this if you have no source information.
This is an interwiew with the creator of the show I found here

Was it always pitched as an anthology?

Yes, for a few reasons. Part of it is my novelistic sensibility, in the sense that I like endings and most television series don’t have a third act; they hustle to invent a third act when their show gets cancelled.I was interested in telling a story with a beginning, middle and an end and I was really, really wanting to work with serious cinematic talent and it seemed like the time was right for that because if an actor doesn’t want to play a super hero there are just not that many options in terms of films getting made. My thought was, if they only do one season we might be able to attract real cinematic talent, because the reason most movie stars don’t do television, even if it was extremely lucrative or high quality, is because most shows require you to sign on for four to six years. This would only be a five month commitment so we could approach serious, great actors and say to them, ‘Don’t do five months of Broadway, come do True Detective.’

Thanks, mikeython1, that was precisely the sort of thing I was asking for. Although I am sad-sad-sad to think we're losing these characters after eight episodes, it keeps me excited for the future. If they can keep the same creative talent behind the scenes, it ought to stay good going forward.

Its gonna go 8 episodes and then its done. Course thats what Wiki says, but it makes sense since its based off a true story. (Edit in - No it isnt I mustve misread.)

These 2 are absolutely polar opposite to the hilarious. Oh my gosh this show is so ridiculously bleak! My poor tv set needs prozac. Even Walking Dead has more heartwarming elements. I dont want to live or visit any where near where this place is theyre filming.

The way McConaughey (awfully mispelt im sure) delivers his dialogue makes me wonder if he's the killer. Did the detective really say these things (Edit in - No its fiction as I found out) or is the dialogue fictitious embellishment? Creepy to the core.

Gotta comment on the shaky cam, and its not intentional shaky cam, but shoddy camera work. I notice it alot during Coles interviews.

This is the first I've heard that this story is based on a true story. The interview with the show's creator sounds more like he's been toying with these characters and scripts for the past few years. He also said that he'd love to keep writing stories for them (with the same actors) because he thinks everything turned out so well.

Sounded like his own creations to me. And I don't recall anything in the credits about "based on a true story," unless I missed it. I don't think the title of "True Detective" is much to go on. Wikipedia says nothing about true stories, just that Nic Pizzolatto is the creator and writer.

Oh, and I think you spelled McConaughey correctly.

This is the first I've heard that this story is based on a true story. The interview with the show's creator sounds more like he's been toying with these characters and scripts for the past few years. He also said that he'd love to keep writing stories for them (with the same actors) because he thinks everything turned out so well.

Sounded like his own creations to me. And I don't recall anything in the credits about "based on a true story," unless I missed it. I don't think the title of "True Detective" is much to go on. Wikipedia says nothing about true stories, just that Nic Pizzolatto is the creator and writer.

Oh, and I think you spelled McConaughey correctly.
Hm! I couldve sworn I heard or read somehwere this is based off a true story. Now I cant find a thing on it. Nevermind! Sorry for the misinfo.

This article confirms that season two will be different story and characters, as the writer talks about developing new characters that he loves:

http://www.thedailybeast.com/article...izzolatto.html

Edit: I see we moved past that discussion, but it's a great article/interview anyway