NBAluke579's movie reviews.

→ in
Tools    

Finished here. It's been fun.
Collateral

Collateral is a rather solid neo-noir thriller. The film follows a cab driver who unknowingly ends up picking up a hitman, who then asks him to drive to certain places where he plans to assassinate the people on his kill list. Jamie Foxx and Tom Cruise are the two main characters of the movie, and their dialogue and interaction is fantastic. Cruise steals the show here, as the efficient,apathetic killer.He brings a calm yet menacing presence to the film, it's a great performance overall. The direction is sleek,dimly lit, and fits the film's tone.The movie is well-made, no doubt about that.

The movie is entertaining, and it features some excellent action sequences. The main problem is that the movie is a bit predictable, I won't say to what extent. But right from the beginning you kind of know the direction the film is going to take. It's still an engaging thriller, but this is definitely the film's biggest flaw.Still, I enjoyed Collateral. It's an entertaining movie that I recommend. My rating:

One hour photo

This is a very underrated movie in my eyes. It is an excellent character-study, and Robin Williams gives a very good acting performance. This movie centers on a loney photo technician simply called "Sy". Sy has no friends, no family....nothing. The only sense of warmth or happiness in his life is seeing the Yorkin family. He has become attached to this family, and he feels close to them even though they are not aware of this. I won't go farther into spoiler territory, but this film is really good.The film's cinematography is quite good, the story is interesting, and the movie feels engaging. Sy really is a tragic character who you can't help but feel sympathy for.This isn't a particularly happy film, or one that might merit countless rewatches. But it does leave an impact on you for better or worse. My rating is a . It
really is a hidden gem.

Brick

This film is quite unique. It's basically a full blown noir-film that's set around High-School students. The movie is focuses on a loner named Brendan and him trying to find out who murdered his ex-girlfriend and the circumstances leading up to it.Joseph Gordon Levitt does a fine job as the flawed protagonist, and the other young actors do a fine job as well. The film is aesthetically pleasing, as everything is dimly lit and mysterious and the shots are well placed.You see all the typical conventions of the genre, such as femme-fatales,shady characters who always have something to hide, and heavy dialogue.

The movie is moderately entertaining. It's not a dull film, but it's not incredibly entertaining either. I was interested in the story but I was never compelled. It's certainly a "unique" take on the genre, but there's just better noir films out there. It's not really a movie I would want to watch again, nor is it an incredible film. But Brick is most definitely solid, and a film that's worth at least a one-time watch.It's on Netflix instant stream in case any of you guys are interested. My rating:

Rashomon

This film is truly a mental a mental exercise. This film from Akira Kurosawa is about a horrible,heinous event that occurred and it being told from numerous different perspectives. The movie deals with the theme of how do we separate truth from fiction, and as the movie continues going along you as the viewer are forced to come up with a conclusion yourself. The movie is interesting, and each of the different accounts of the event are quite compelling.There are four main views of the event and they come from "The bandit", "The wife","The samurai" and "The woodcutter". I've watched the film and I still don't quite know what's the truth. But that's the point of Rashomon. It's there To make YOU come up with the conclusions.The movie is well shot, and the acting is fair as well. While I wouldn't quite call it a "Masterpiece" (in my eyes at least),I still respect the film and it's mark in cinema history. I give it a

Se7en

Se7en for a very long time was in my top 10 favorite films. While I don't quite love the film as much as I used to, it's still an incredible film that's going to haunt you for days on end. The visuals and dark,gloomy atmosphere of this film are superb. Rain is always falling,darkness covers everyone and everything, and there's death hanging in the air. The film's tone is oppressive, depressing, and unforgiving.The city in the film is never even given a name. It's simply an awful place to live, a living hellhole. The cast is excellent and features the likes of Morgan Freeman,Brad Pitt, and Kevin Spacey.The film's script is excellent as well. It's a great film all across the board.

The basic setup for the film is that there is a killer lurking somewhere in the city who is killing using the 7 deadly sins as his modus operandi. This is one of the most nihilistic,dreary films ever made and Fincher does not hold back on either the violence nor cynical social commentary. There are some truly haunting scenes in this film,notably the film's now infamous conclusion.This is basically one of the best mystery/thriller films ever made. It's an incredible film from beginning to end, and it's one of the greatest films of the 1990's. Se7en is an outstanding film and I have to award it the phenomenal rating of a

Oh Se7en, such a good movie...
Here, if you have a milkshake, and I have a milkshake, and I have a straw. There it is, that's a straw, you see? You watching?. And my straw reaches acroooooooss the room, and starts to drink your milkshake... I... drink... your... milkshake!
-Daniel, There Will Be Blood

Oh Se7en, such a good movie...
Yes it is my friend...yes it is. It's my favorite Fincher film personally.

Women will be your undoing, Pépé
some SERIOUSLY great movies so far, and far too many to list them all and few i have not seen and damn curious to. Great job on the reviews, lucas!!

The Godfather

The Godfather is an undisputed masterpiece of cinema. It is one of the greatest films ever made, if not the absolute best, and it is one of my all-time favorite films. The film is brilliant and is pretty much perfect in every category imaginable.where do I even begin?

The cinematography is absolutely incredible. Whether it's the excellent camerawork, or the exceptional use of lighting. From a technical standpoint it is nearly flawless, and it looks just as incredible now as it did over 40 years ago when it first released. The cast features the likes of Marlon Brando,Al Pacino,James Caan and Robert Duvall. Every one excels in their roles, and give mesmerizing performances.The script is flawless, and the plot moves at a brisk,but calculated pace.The movie is tense,suspenseful,emotional,tragic,etc. It truly is a film epic. The soundtrack is haunting, and the film's incredible theme is nostalgic and beautiful.

The Godfather is in my eyes is the greatest crime/gangster film ever made. It paints an epic,compelling tale of the Corleone crime family.It really is one of the great tales in cinema history.This is an achingly human masterpiece, a film that will be cherished by film lovers for eternity. The Godfather is a triumph of storytelling, and a landmark film in cinema history. The Godfather earns a

If not I will give them an offer they can't refuse!
Kinda off topic, but it's awesome how Stalker is already in your top 10 favorite films. It is quite the experience.

Kinda off topic, but it's awesome how Stalker is already in your top 10 favorite films. It is quite the experience.
And I ordered the DVD right after the movie was over. Easy top ten movie. But number 9 is Vice Squad, so My taste might still be in question! Because I love sleaze!

Django Unchained

This is definitely one of the most entertaining films in the last few years. Django Unchained is another hit for Tarantino, and while it's not his strongest effort(in my eyes at least). It's still a furiously entertaining and fun western.

This film has a damn fine cast I must say. Jamie Foxx does a solid job as the film's heroic protagonist Django,but it's Christoph Waltz and Leonardo DiCaprio who truly steal the show. Waltz gives an excellent job here, and his best supporting actor oscar is rightfully deserved.Dicaprio gives a jolting,ferocious performance as the sadistic Calvin Candie. Candie is one of the most memorable film villains in recent history,and he's a delight to watch. Samuel Jackson is quite good here as well. The film is well made, and features good cinematography,costumes, and special effects.The story while engaging is not as good as some of Tarantino's other films, but it still keeps you entertained throughout.

I do have some problems with this film however. My main problem is that the film is quite indulgent, especially in the film's final act. The last 30 minutes or so feel clunky,dull, and dare I say.....unnecessary.We even see a pointless cameo by Tarantino himself.The music choices are kinda odd as well,especially during a gloriously bloody shootout towards the latter part of the film. I like Tarantino and I think he can craft entertaining films, but next time I would like to see him try something a bit more grounded and subtle.Either way, these complaints aside I still really like this film.It's entertaining,fun,well acted,well produced. It's a really good film, and I award it a

Identity

Identity is a rather solid,although forgettable horror flick. It's by no means an outstanding or unique film, but it is certainly a capable and entertaining thriller that will engaged throughout it's running time. The basic premise of the film is that ten strangers end up finding themselves in an isolated hotel during a rainy,thunderous night. One by one they become killed off by a killer who hides among them. Yeah it's your typical horror plot. What makes the film a bit better than some other horror films is the atmosphere. The visuals are moody,dreary and filled with rain. If you guys have seen the film Se7en, it's kind of like that. It's rather absorbing if you watch it when you are in the right mood.

Are any of the performances outstanding? No. The story isn't particularly astounding either. I do think it's an alright horror/thriller which is mostly owed to the film's competent direction. I give Identity a

The best way to describe Battle Royale is a more adult and mature version of The Hunger Games.BR is an entertaining,violent and explicit film about survival. It's a visceral experience,and it really is quite interesting. The premise of the film, is a group of students are placed on an island and forced to murder each other,the last one standing emerges the victor. The Government does this to show dominance and control over the youths.I don't really feel I should explain anymore. If this premise sounds interesting, then immediately watch the movie. It's quite entertaining and there are thrills to be had.It's a chilling and disturbing film as you witness youths murdering each other in cold blood. It is complete and utter chaos.It's not a comfortable or cheery film to watch, but if you're in a mood for this sort of film then by all means watch Battle Royale. I give it a

I have not seen Django Unchained because I swore off Tarantino after Inglorious Basterds. A movie I really really hated.
Really? I prefer Basterds to Django personally. I still think you should give Django a chance, but proceed with caution.

Really? I prefer Basterds to Django personally. I still think you should give Django a chance, but proceed with caution.
The only Tarantino movie I MIGHT watch is Jackie Brown. And that depends on how much I like Coffy and Foxy Brown. Plus it has De Niro in it.

Me too. Basterds is a more well-made film, Django on the other hand has a few unnecessary sequences like you said, but it's what Tarantino was going for. He wanted to make an entertaining film and he succeeded.

The only Tarantino movie I MIGHT watch is Jackie Brown. And that depends on how much I like Coffy and Foxy Brown. Plus it has De Niro in it.
Jackie Brown is one of his best, you should give it a go. It's my third favorite Tarantino after Pulp Fiction and Basterds. I also think it's one of the most Tarantinoesque of his movies, which is why I love it. It could be one more reason for you to dislike it, though.