Favorite war movies

Tools    

Platoon.They got Elias!

Bug Planet Proximus
could some one give me a brief run down on The Guns of Navarrone[1961]? I have heard so much of this movie and keep forgetting to go and find it. I'm surprised it's not mentioned more frequently in this thread.

[At LS]: Also, yes. Gallipoli and The Lighthorseman are quite revered back in my home country. We seem to have an unhealthy infactuation with WWI(for historical reasons i'm sure you all won't want me to enlightened you on). I didn't particularily like The Lighthorseman that much even though i get it crammed down my throat regularily 'cos it was filmed in the same state i live in. As with Picnic At Hanging Rock, another local film i was sorely dissapointed by

Wanna Date? Got Any Money?
Ahem..

FULL METAL JACKET
Apocolypse now
Paths of Glory
All quiet on the westernfront
Platoon
Bridge of the river Kwai
Saving Private Ryan
Hamburger Hill
Tiger Land
Black Hawk Down

All good people are asleep and dreaming.
Originally Posted by D'yer Mak'er
could some one give me a brief run down on The Guns of Navarrone[1961]? I have heard so much of this movie and keep forgetting to go and find it. I'm surprised it's not mentioned more frequently in this thread.
A small group of Allied commandos are sent to destroy two massive guns blocking a narrow passage of the sea.

Worth checking out.

Strong performance by Anthony Quinn.

Originally Posted by D'yer Mak'er

The Guns of Navarone is a good adventure flick, concerning a small and elite band of experts going on a suicide mission behind enemy lines. It's the prototype for others like The Dirty Dozen, Where Eagles Dare, The Wild Geese and even The Great Escape, which basically took all the poetry and scale out of The Bridge on the River Kwai and reduced it to more mainstream action. The reason it isn't brought up in such a discussion very often is because it isn't a "serious" War picture, it's more shoot-em-up adventure and escapism. It's good for what it is, but it wouldn't likely be mentioned in the same breath as Paths of Glory or Apocalypse Now.
"Film is a disease. When it infects your bloodstream it takes over as the number one hormone. It bosses the enzymes, directs the pineal gland, plays Iago to your psyche. As with heroin, the antidote to Film is more Film." - Frank Capra

Full Metal Jacket
Paths of Glory
Platoon
Saving Private Ryan
Black Hawk Down
The Pianist
Schindlers's List
Strangelove
BraveHeart

1. Saving Private Ryan
2. Black Hawk Down
3. Patton
4. The Longest Day
5. A Bridge Too Far
6. The Patriot
7. Full Metal Jacket
8. Platoon
9. Sands of Iwo Jima
10. Gettysberg
11. The Alamo (The Dukes Version)
not in any order
not to get off topic, but Tour of Duty was an awesome tv show!
I'm sorry if this makes a fiasco of the thread.

Welcome to the human race...
My one favourite would have to be Apocalypse Now. It was like looking into a mirror and seeing a madman looking back at me.

the thin red line is great, and i really liked catch 22 - underrated movie, that. in a similar vein i quite liked the 70s adaptation of kurt vonnegut's 'slaughterhouse five'.

a recent favorite that i havent seen listed yet was 'the life and death of colonel blimp'.

for the 'war-action/adventure' type movies that holden mentioned, i'd go with sammo hung's 'eastern condors' with himself and yuen biao.

Originally Posted by LordSlaytan
So, what are they?

Mine are:

Saving Private Ryan
Glory
Braveheart
The Bridge over River Kwai
The Great Escape
Schindlers List(I know, not quite war, but still)
The Three Kings(again, but on a personal level I have to admit it)
Empire of the Sun
Kelly's Heroes
The Dirty Dozen
Gallipoli
The Big Red One
Patton
The Longest Day
Platoon
Full Metal Jacket
Apocolypse Now
Hamburger Hill

I could go on, there are so many (my favorite genre) that I really like. But if I had to pick an absolute fave? Saving Private Ryan, of course.

BTW, I will be submitting a quiz for Ryan to Yoda later this week, if anyone cares.

I tottaly agree with that statement

http://www.ylunch.com

http://www.ewonton.com

Zulu
The Charge of the Light Brigade
Where eagles dare
Cromwell
Bridge of the river Kwai
Battle of britain
Excalibur
Great escape
Platoon
Hamburger hill
Alfred the Great

The greatest war story ever told: Lord of the Rings.

Hmm, I have only a few actually. Not necessarily ww2 or vietnam, but influential and great war pictures nonetheless.

Battle Of Britain
Full Metal Jacket
Casualties of War
Starship Troopers
Green Berets
Das Boot
Stalingrad
Merry Christmas Mr Lawrence
Flesh and Blood
Guns Of Navarone
Enemy Mine
Sink the Bismarck

Stick a fork in me, I'm done.

Top 5 in order.

1.We Were Soldiers
2.Braveheart
3.Saving Private Ryan
4.the Green Berets
5.Hamburger Hill
And found he was eating his shoe.

I really enjoy the Band of Brothers series. As far movies go I would have to say FMJ, and Saving Pvt. Ryan.

While not really a war film (in terms of a real historical war), Red Dawn had a method to it's madness, as John Milius tried to create an alternate reality parallell to the Russian invasion of Afghanistan, and he was trying to show the audience what teens in Afghanistan may have gone through and went through at the time, and how they may have reacted, living in a world where a foreign oppressor tried to take over. Sort of a "what if" but applied to America.

Not the most realistic of films, because no kid in ther right mind would suddenly know how to use an RPG-7 or an Ak-47 or a good old fashioned semi-auto Russian SKS, but the reality hit home that in a situation like that, experience was the best teacher, because you get the test first and the lesson afterwards.

You ready? You look ready.
Band of Brothers hands down.

"We lucky few, we band of brothers. For he who today sheds his blood with me shall be my brother." -Carwood Lipton [During Interview]
"This is that human freedom, which all boast that they possess, and which consists solely in the fact, that men are conscious of their own desire, but are ignorant of the causes whereby that desire has been determined." -Baruch Spinoza

Lets put a smile on that block
Originally Posted by Holden Pike
2. All Quiet on the Western Front (1930 - Lewis Milestone)
"You still think it's beautiful to die for your country? The first bombardment taught us better. When it comes to dying for country, it's better not to die at all."
I'm currently writing an essay on masculine and feminist constructs in this book. The book is so much better, i liked this version but it just doesnt convey the amazing spirituality of the book. Awsome read that i reccommend to anyone.

"And so we sit facing one another, Kat and I, - We don’t talk much, but we have a greater and more gentle consideration for eachother than I should think even lovers do. We are two human beings , two tiny sparks of life; outside there is just the night, and all around us, death. We are sitting right at the edge of all that, in danger but secure; our hearts are close to one another, time and place merge into one - the brightness and the shadows of our emotions come and go in the flickering light of the gentle fire. Before the war we wouldnt have had a single thought in common - and now here we are, sitting with a goose roasting in front of us, aware of our existence and so close to each other that we can't even talk about it."

Skiny White Film Fan
Patton and Apocalypse Now

Neutral Milk Hotel
Most Definetley The Lord of the Rings The Return of the King. The battles were the Largest ever waged on Screen. My favorite is at the black gate. Its just amazing.
And if the Pianist is considered a war movie then that too, and the Patriot.
" I see in your eyes, the same fear that would take the heart of me. A day may come when the courage of men fails, whe we forsake our friends and break all bonds of fellowship, but it is not this day. May and hour of wolves and shattered shields before the age of men comes crashing down, but it is not this day! This day we Fight! For all that you hold dear on this good earth, I bid you stand men of the west!!"
-Aragorn: The Lord of the Rings the Return of the King