Top 15 War Movies

→ in
Tools    

I find war movies hard to watch. It isn't the atmosphere of death or the plots (usually), just a complete lack of interest in war. So, realizing (wrongly) that I hadn't a single war movie on my Top 100 list, I figured I ought to correct that wrong with this. If anybody cares for it, I may follow it up with other "Top x [insert genre]" lists.

15: Sahara (1943)

14: Full Metal Jacket (1987)

13: Defiance (2008)

12: Von Ryan's Express (1965)

11: The Alamo (1960)

10: Sergent York (1941)

9: Inglorious Basterds (2009)

8: The Last Samurai (2003)

7: The Bridge on the River Kwai (1957)

6: K-19: The Widowmaker (2002)

5: Europa Europa (1990)

4: Platoon (1986)

3: The Great Escape (1960)

2: Letters From Iwo Jima (2006)

1: Where Eagles Dare (1968)

I assume so but have you watched Paths of Glory, The Guns of Navarone and The Train?
I think I've seen The Guns of Navarone. I'm quite certain I own the novel, and I know I own the VHS, but I can't be absolutely sure that I've actually seen the film. I may also have seen The Train, but I haven't watched many war movies in years and can't be certain - I've seen about 100 war movies, very few of which were memorable.

This is a great list as it tells me exactly why, like you, I don't 'do' war movies. The only film there (that I've seen) that I really liked, is Platoon.

I do recommend taking a look at Paths Of Glory, though. I don't like Kubrick, but that was ok. At least I was able to watch it without getting bored.

This is a great list as it tells me exactly why, like you, I don't 'do' war movies. The only film there (that I've seen) that I really liked, is Platoon.

I do recommend taking a look at Paths Of Glory, though. I don't like Kubrick, but that was ok. At least I was able to watch it without getting bored.
I'd watch Paths of Glory for Kirk Douglas before Stanley Kubrick.

No Apocalypse Now? Oh well. War films aren't really my favorite genre either, but I'll have to check out Platoon.

No Apocalypse Now? Oh well. War films aren't really my favorite genre either, but I'll have to check out Platoon.
I already dislike war movies. Apocalypse Now Redux is 202 minutes of suffering for me.

Apocalypse Now: Redux did nothing for me but the original cut is a masterpiece, love it. Cross of Iron is another good un

It is really a great post of war movies. Platoon, Lord of the rings, Troy, clash of the titans, 300, King Arthur, Alexander are the best war movies for me.

Keep on Rockin in the Free World
So far, Von Ryans Express, Last Samurai and The Great escape along with Where Eagles Dare would probably make my list if i were so inclined to make one.

Fun Fact, my great great uncle was a POW during the real event upon which the flick is loosely based.

He was a digger. Which is to say, they all were.

This needs to be on any War list, fantastic and disturbing film:

The Russian film Come and See, from 1985. Recommend this if you haven't seen it Kitsch.

good list ..

my favorite war movies :

1- Braveheart
2- Inglorious Basterds
3- The Brotherhood of War
4- Schindler's List
5- Paths of Glory
6- The Pianist
7-
Saving Private Ryan
8-
The Great Dictator
9- Defiance
10- The Great Escape

Sudoku Blackbelt
This aren't in particular order. Heck, I had a bunch of mimi strokes just narrowing it down to ten. If I had to rank them as well, I might just spontaneously combust. I could put probably half a dozen foreign films in there, as well.

Saving Private Ryan
Das Boot
The Dirty Dozen
Kelly's Heroes
Glory
Patton
Platoon
Enemy At The Gates
Midway
Tora! Tora! Tora!