Bette Davis film

Tools    

I watched this on VHS probably around seven years ago. Davis played a socialite of sorts whose status, I believe, was usurped by a relation. She was an old spinster who, near the end of the film, is struck by a disease which destroys her supposedly good looks.

I've looked through her filmography and have tried desperately to ascertain the identity of this film, but to no avail; I may have read the synopsis a dozen times, but nothing struck me as having been memorable.

Semper Fooey
Mrs. Skeffington

Semper Fooey
I had the wrong gender . Mr.

i'm SUPER GOOD at Jewel karaoke
Bette Davis was ugly.
...bad example. that's her as Mildred from Of Human Bondage. she was a prostitute with syphilis in that movie.

cute as a bug's ear.

Semper Fooey
She wasn't a great beauty, but she wasn't ugly.

A lot of star actresses in the thirties and forties had offbeat looks. Maybe that is what helped make them stars. You could tell them apart from the gals with the perfect classical features.

As for her playing a beauty in Mr. Skeffington, I don't think it was a problem. A lot of women are desired and sought after by men not because they are all that great looking, but because they know how to be a magnet for men by their behavior and skillful way they present themselves through makeup, fashion, and style. Does anyone think Madonna is really that spectacular looking? Or Cher?