Ron Paul 2012 Support.

Tools    

RIP www.moviejustice.com 2002-2010
Hello, hello. Haven't been on the site for a week or so. I went to Wisconsin on vacation with Alicia and then Saturday I supported Ron Paul in Ames at the straw poll. Hopefully Yoda doesn't care, as I know there is already a "Who will beat Obama" thread. But if it's allowed by site rules to support a candidate I want to give props to Ron Paul.

He seems more genuine than many of the other Republicans and is of course more libertarian than Republican despite running on the card.

Some of his views are...

legalizing drugs to cut national debt and prison population.
Personally against gay marriage, but doesn't want the government involved in saying who can and cannot get married.
Wants a withdraw of troops from Afghanistan
Against new taxes.
Pro-life - though I disagree with him on Americans not having the option, I do agree that it SHOULD NOT be funded by government tax payer money.

He basically tied in the Iowa Straw Poll despite what the media says. Jon Stewart did a nice piece on the bias in the media coverage and I'm not a huge Stewart fan. Anyway.

http://www.movieforums.com/community...ad.php?t=26201

Sure, totally allowed.

I've posted my thoughts on Ron Paul a few times. Half the things he say make me want to pump my fist, and the other half make me want to shake my fist. I think he's wrong about income taxes being unconstitutional, and I think he's really wrong to suggest an isolationist foreign policy and protectionist trade policies.

But you know what? I'm glad he's running. He's helped make the Federal Reserve a hot issue and draws attention to lots of things the eventual nominee will have to acknowledge, and that's good. That's one of the key functions of less viable candidates.

A system of cells interlinked
He gets my vote!

Semper Fooey
How come when Huckabee came in second place in the last Ames Poll the political pundits made a big deal, but when Ron Paul does the same thing all the focus is on Bachmann who was presumed to be the favorite and actually underperformed?

My thoughts...

1.) Obama is gonna be re-elected. I have no doubt.
2.) ALL drugs legalized? Including heroin?
3.) That's fine, but gay marriage isn't?
4.) He doesn't stand a chance.
5.) Too old and unattractive.
6.) ****thoughts over, back to meditative trance****

List of qualifications for President:

1. Being right on major issues.
2. Being generally competent.
8,944. Being "nice."

If this guy gets elected, I guess I better start a "Drug Tab" thread so everybody can keep us informed of what currently illegal (but will be legal) drugs they're taking at the moment. I do wonder what everybody here would specialize in. We might even have to make a tournament thread where all the drugs battle against each other and we vote on which is the best.

My thoughts...

1.) Obama is gonna be re-elected. I have no doubt.
2.) ALL drugs legalized? Including heroin?
3.) That's fine, but gay marriage isn't?
4.) He doesn't stand a chance.
5.) Too old and unattractive.
6.) ****thoughts over, back to meditative trance****
1) Don't you dare jinx it
2) Why does it matter if heroin is legal? It'll root out the idiots, it's called natural selection
3) He said he wouldn't make it illegal, but is personally against it, big difference
The rest of your points aren't points

2) The problem with heroin isn't what it does to the users, but what the users are willing to do to use more of it.

As for the Drug Tab; heh. If by some miracle Ron Paul is elected, he's not going to have a Congress that thinks the way he does. At most, he'd spark more debate on some of these issues, but he wouldn't have enough power to make all of this stuff a reality.

Semper Fooey
2) The problem with heroin isn't what it does to the users, but what the users are willing to do to use more of it.

As for the Drug Tab; heh. If by some miracle Ron Paul is elected, he's not going to have a Congress that thinks the way he does. At most, he'd spark more debate on some of these issues, but he wouldn't have enough power to make all of this stuff a reality.
The libertarian argument is if heroin was legal, it would be cheaper and the junkies wouldn't have to steal and kill to buy it. I don't know if that is true or not, but even if it was, it is not good for society to have the streets littered with heroin addicts and legalization would mean more addicts.

I've heard the argument, I just don't think I believe it. At a certain level of addictiveness people seem to stop caring about things like, well, jobs or families, and when you do that it doesn't matter much if it's even a fair bit cheaper. If you're willing to give up everything you have for more, even $10 a fix is going to bankrupt you and have you doing desperate things.

If by some miracle Ron Paul is elected, he's not going to have a Congress that thinks the way he does. At most, he'd spark more debate on some of these issues, but he wouldn't have enough power to make all of this stuff a reality.
This.

Obama had the air of fairly exciting candidate too, if all of you haven't already forgotten. But the reality of actually existing government is always a normalization of the candidate's greatest hopes. And I can assure you that, at least in relation to the status quo, Ron Paul as a candidate is much more radical than Obama ever was.

But he has no chance so your vote will, in the end, be either for or against Obama no matter who you are.

1) Don't you dare jinx it
If you can believe that heroin will root out the idiots through natural selection, why are you also believing in jinxes?

Originally Posted by wintertriangles
2) Why does it matter if heroin is legal? It'll root out the idiots, it's called natural selection
Alright. If people you care for start dying from being heroin addicts, keep that in mind.

If you can believe that heroin will root out the idiots through natural selection, why are you also believing in jinxes?
I was less serious there.
Alright. If people you care for start dying from being heroin addicts, keep that in mind.
I don't hang out with idiots so I don't need to worry about it
legalization would mean more addicts.
The only reason there's so many addicts now is because it's a "secret" thing that's "sneaky" and illegal. If it was legal, the using would peak and drop fast soon after.

By the way, Obama's victory/defeat is not guaranteed. The election is so far away and the economy is scary.

Keep on Rockin in the Free World
List of qualifications for President:

1. Being right on major issues.
2. Being generally competent.
8,944. Being "nice."
so Palin is Zip for 3.

How did she ever manage to get somewhat relevant?

Ron Paul on the Right is a lot like Ralph Nader on the left.

Neither have a hope in hell, but (perhaps because) they elevate the dialogue beyond issues of distraction and instead talk about the real ills plaguing the nation.