Top Tough Guys

Tools    

RIP www.moviejustice.com 2002-2010
Originally posted by James2183
um its rather hard to think of hard cases off the top of my hard. how about mel gibsons character in payback? tony montana should have been higher, i mean the ending of scarface shows how hard he is. what about De Niros character in Deer Hunter?
The ending of Scarface shows how high on drugs Tony Montana was and how hard his bullet proof vest was. Tony Montana himself was not tough at all, however he was extremely entertaining, My number 1 and 2 choice is Lee Van Cleef and Klaus Kinski, just for their scenes in For A Few Dollars More, but thats all it takes

http://www.movieforums.com/community...ad.php?t=26201

RIP www.moviejustice.com 2002-2010
Originally posted by James2183
um its rather hard to think of hard cases off the top of my hard. how about mel gibsons character in payback? tony montana should have been higher, i mean the ending of scarface shows how hard he is. what about De Niros character in Deer Hunter?
The ending of Scarface shows how high on drugs Tony Montana was and how hard his bullet proof vest was. Tony Montana himself was not tough at all, however he was extremely entertaining, My number 1 and 2 choice is Lee Van Cleef and Klaus Kinski, just for their scenes in For A Few Dollars More, but thats all it takes

Well, the way i look at it, CYF's (Chow Yun-Fat for you people) characters in The Killer and Hard Boiled had some tough guy stuff to em. Especially in the Killer: the assassination scene in the restaurant where he comes through the door...ahhhh...bliss! And then the scene in the end in the church where he has to put a bullet in the head of his best friend! That, right there, is pretty tough. And sad.

In Hard Boiled, he was unstoppable. End of story. Ultimate anti hero right there.

But also, here is a strange one. In the movie West World, there was a bad guy, played by a Russian i think (whose name i think was sort of like Zoy...I know that's really helpful, but hey!), that was really bad ass. That movie, although many people have never seen it, in my opinion at least, invented the Terminator style bad guy. So no, Ahnuld was not the first. HA! I hate Arnold...
Anyway, West World was a kick ass movie, and the bad guy was a beast.

You mean Yul Brynner?

Yul Brynner was the star of The King & I (1956) and The Magnificent Seven (1960). Apart from those two flicks, the unstoppable gunslinging robot on the fritz in Westworld is definitely his most enduringly popular role. And yes, Yul was indeed Russian by birth.

Westworld (1973) is hardly a secret. Michael Crichton - yes, THAT Michael Crichton, directed the flick, based on his own original screenplay. A high-tech amusement park where the attractions become uncontrollable and run amok. Hmmmm, I wonder if Crichton could somehow recycle this plot for another story?

And yes, of course this was a major part of Jim Cameron's inspiration for The Terminator.
"Film is a disease. When it infects your bloodstream it takes over as the number one hormone. It bosses the enzymes, directs the pineal gland, plays Iago to your psyche. As with heroin, the antidote to Film is more Film." - Frank Capra

I am having a nervous breakdance
What about Steve McQueen?

--------

They had temporarily escaped the factories, the warehouses, the slaughterhouses, the car washes - they'd be back in captivity the next day but
now they were out - they were wild with freedom. They weren't thinking about the slavery of poverty. Or the slavery of welfare and food stamps. The rest of us would be all right until the poor learned how to make atom bombs in their basements.

Fighting out of the Lions Den
What about Big Clint Walker?

Back with a bang!
Lots of good choices here people. I'll add a few more:

Peter Stormare in Fargo. He is simply one of the hardest mothers out there. Just think of the scene when he whacks Buscemi in the head with the axe.

Mikael Persbrandt Most of you have probably never heard of this guy since he only stars in Swedish flicks, but just trust me on this one: He's bad to the bone! I have watched and re-watched the semi-sucky Beck movies many, many times for one reason only - him. He's simply the bad-ass of bad-asses.

And I defenitely think that Russel Crowe was tougher in L.A. Confidential than in Gladiator.

Oh, and what about Nick Nolte in 48 Hours? I haven't seen it in years, but I seem to remember he was real tough guy. Anyone seen it lately?

Well, that's all I could think of for now.

Back with a bang!
Dammit, I forgot the hardest of them all. Temuera Morrison, i.e. the guy who plays Jake the Muss in Once Were Warriors. Excluding Karelin, he is probably the last person in the world I'd pick a fight with. He just scares the daylights out of me.

My tough guys (not in ranking order)

1. STEVEN SEAGAL
Former real life Navy SeAL (not kidding) turned action hero.
2. YUL BRENNER
an old school tough guy
3. CHARLES BRONSON
another classic
4. BURT REYNOLDS
70's macho man
5. SEAN CONNERY
the one and only Bond
6. CLINT EASTWOOD
cowboy, brawler or cop, you just don't mess around
7. VIN DIESEL
leading the new generation of tough guys
8. BRUCE WILLIS
tough but with a golden heart
9. JAMES CAGNEY
original gangster tough
10. JOHN WAYNE
even with lung lung he can scrap with the best
11. JOE PESCI
movie mafia's undisputed muscles/enforcer
12. LEE MARVIN
icon hands down
13. ROBERT DeNIRO
boss of bosses tough
14. RICHARD ROUNDTREE
the original Shaft, nuff said
15. SAMUEL L JACKSON
he can put a hurt with smoothness and style
16. JET LI
knock out in one second flat
17. JOHN MALKOVICH
just plain scary
18. CHUCK NORRIS
a one man force
19. Harrison Ford
soft spoken toughie
20. Arnold Schwarzenegger
like a Timex, takes a lickin but keeps on beatin

. Temuera Morrison, i.e. the guy who plays Jake the Muss in Once Were Warriors.......posted by Vetinari.

"I'm your hell, I'm your dream.......I'm nothing in between.......You know you wouldn't want it any other way".........

"Listen, when I slap you, you'll take it and like it"..........Humphrey Bogart..........Maltese Falcon.......

Graze on my lips and if those hills be dry, stray lower, where the pleasant fountains lie...........William Shakespeare.......

what about jet li in leathal weapon 4? he was stabbed through the back and stomach, and had the absolute crap beaten out of him by 2 guys who were at least a foot taller (not to mention he killed all those corrupt soldiers with a gun---but not firing a shot) even when he was dragged under water he still kept coming.now that tough

boris the sneaky f#ckin russian was tough, but what about micky ? gorgeous george beat the absolute ***** out him, with 1 punch he wiped him out

yeah bullet tooth was tough i guess, but im a bit confused, he was shot like, 6 times, and then cousin avi shoots wildy, and kills him! wtf? (unless of course, it was a headshot, but even then, he was shot in the mouth before too)

and what about second in command bad guy Karl from die hard? (the german guy who doesnt understand german when hans speaks to him) mclane beat him half to death, then hanged him, and the guy still comes back, and it takes powell 6 shots to put him down

and gandalf was pretty tough in fellowship--would any of YOU guys single handedly take on a balrog demon?

and of course, you guys (i think) forgot leon, the plant loving hitman who kills like, every single cop in the building using pistols

more when i think of them...

doc holiday (val kilmer) in tombstone is the ultimate tough guy. he knows no fear because he's on deaths door step already.

Oh, I bet you all know who I'm gonna say, right? Maybe? Maybe not?
Darth Maul all the way!

darth maul is a horrible tough guy, classic example of an angry guy who didn't get enough lovin when he was a kid so some old dumbass emperor took him in and played bad touch good touch with him till he turned red in the face and started playing with the double sided dildo which is his light saber.

Harsh...I think maybe someone needs to go back to the institute. Calm yourself! Sheesh! We all have our opinions..but some people seem to be more outspoken than others...
Lighten up on the adrenaline...yousa stinkawhif

binks i'm just messing around, i respect your opinion, i'm just picturing a person who can't think outside of star wars for forming any kind of opinion on something.

A novel adaptation.
I'm surprised that no one here has mentioned the ultimate movie tough guy:
Woody Allen.

Did you guys see him play that hardened criminal in "Take the Money and Run?" Seriously, I made double sure that my doors and windows were locked that night.

Woody Allen is tough as coffin nails.

And since this is my 500th post:
Gonnorhea