Top Tough Guys

Tools    

Actually, yeah. Gregory Peck in To Kill a Mockingbird...
That's an interesting way to look at it.

That being said, what about Jack Carter? The man's an absoloute terror. We follow his story, not because we like him, per se [well, I did], but because we're in the film and we have to!!

I could watch that film again and again.

The guy in Lock stock is called Barry McClean, and he played a character called Barry the Baptist. Or it could be the main villain Hatchet Harry.

My top tough guy by the way has got to be James Caan as Santino Corleone in the Godfather. Hard as Nails...

Barry the Baptist is not the guy who plays golf from the guys mouth though, nor is it Hatchet Harry.

I've searched the IMDb, but I can't find who it is, character name or actor name.
And to think, this morning I was toying with the idea of buying the DVD. I could have got us a name.

My third, under Carter and Jules is....:

BULLET TOOTH TONY
Vinnie Jones
Snatch

The Future Ed Wood
barry the baptist is hatchet harrys skivvy. hes that famous london gangster that passed away a few years ago, um........ lenny mclean thats it! he was the hardest man in the world when he was alive! he took on 2 american mafia gangsters in a bareknuckle boxing match and beat them in under a minute!

Visit the best film forum on the web http://www.empireonline.co.uk/

That's right! That's exactly right!
But of course, that being said, we're not talking Barry the Baptist.

Damn it, doesn't anybody know who the golf-club guy is?!

Now With Moveable Parts
Originally posted by kobayashi
The guy in Lock stock is called Barry McClean, and he played a character called Barry the Baptist. Or it could be the main villain Hatchet Harry.

Nope. Those are both wrong. Why is this so confusing for everyone? Unfortunately, I can't find a picture of the bloke on any site, so that does present a problem.
Listen: He was the head guy that lived next door. The one they stole the money from. I think he's worth mentioning in this thread because he was so scary. When they're tying him up he's looking at them in this animalistic way, saying, "I'll find you. I'll find you." It was very unsettling. He's one of my Top Tough Guys.

Names to consider, Miss Sadie:

Dog
Plank
Paul
John

Those are all on the IMDb's list.

So, there you go.
I've made my top three.
Two Brits. The scariest muthers on the planet.

Now With Moveable Parts
Originally posted by The Silver Bullet
Names to consider, Miss Sadie:

Dog
Plank
Paul
John

Those are all on the IMDb's list.

I know. I know...I went there, of course.

Anyhoodles, I already picked Sam Jackson, Mattly.

Originally posted by Holden Pike
I'll go with actors instead of characters, for longevity and overall persona more than a single role, but also list some of the films where they're at their iconic coolest and toughest...

1. Lee fu*kin' Marvin
Point Blank, Prime Cut, The Killers, Hell in the Pacific, The Professionals

2. Clint Eastwood
A Fistful of Dollars, Dirty Harry, Coogan's Bluff, High Plains Drifter, The Gauntlet

3. Steve McQueen
The Getaway, Bullitt, The Great Escape, The Cincinnati Kid, The Sand Pebbles

4. Burt Reynolds
The Longest Yard, Deliverance, White Lightning, Gator, Sharky's Machine

5. Charles Bronson
Hard Times, Death Wish, Once Upon A Time in the West, The Valachi Papers, The Mechanic
Everything holden said plus

Here Some more of the top of my Head

Bogart

James Cagney
Public Enemy & White Heat

Kurt Russell
The Thing, Big Trouble in Little China, Escape From New York

William Holden
The Wild Bunch, Alvarez Kelly, Bridge on the River Kwai, Stalag 17

I like to watch...
Peoples...hopefully I can put you out of your misery on the Lock Stock thing...

If it's who I am thinking of, the bloke that lived next door and led the gang of crims was simply named "Dog" (or at least that's all I can remember him being called.) He was played by a wonderful "hard-man" actor called Frank Harper who also played the hilarious "Ronnie" in Shane Meadows TwentyFourSeven.

He's the guy who punched the girl out in the drug dealers place when she sprang up out of her pot-fuelled stupor and went berko with the machine gun.

That'd probably be the one actually.

I know you'd already picked Samuel L. Sades, but I had taken the entire thing on as my own personal vendetta by that stage.

So, ultimately, my list [character wise]:

1. Jack Carter
2. Jules Winnfield
3. Bullet Tooth Tony

crazed out movie freak
Gotta give props to Deniro in The Deer Hunter. During that Russian Roullette game he was the man.

"So are you gonna do somethin?!?!? Or are you just going to stand there and bleed?!?!?" Kurt Russel in Tombstone

Fighting out of the Lions Den
As a young un growing up and watching TV movies, the first actor I can ever recall thinking to myself ,man, that`s a"Tough Guy" , was Charles Bronson in The Streetfighter (Think it`s known as "Hard Times" in the States).
Old Chucky has always stuck in my mind as a Hard Nut since that movie.

I`d like to nominate Jack Palance to this list as well...Just take a look at that mug!

And how about Richard Kiel ,aka Jaws from a handful of Bond films-He won a Teething contest with a Shark for gods sake!

Finally, add Schwarzennegger as Conan, Dutch (Predator) and of course the T-800.

Now With Moveable Parts
Nice choices.
I hesitated to pick Arnold as a "tough guy" just because then that opens a whole can of worms that I'm just not ready to open. You know, the whole Action Guys, thing; everything from James Bond to friggin' Jackie Chan, and those just aren't "Tough Guys" to me.

I'll nominate Robert DeNiro in Cape Fear, though. 'Cause that's what tough's all about! Biting flesh from womens' cheeks!

Originally posted by sadesdrk
Nice choices.
I hesitated to pick Arnold as a "tough guy" just because then that opens a whole can of worms that I'm just not ready to open.
Yep, I realise Big Arnies not trained in any particular fighting style...I was nominating him as the characters more than him being Arnie.

I'll nominate Robert DeNiro in Cape Fear, though. 'Cause that's what tough's all about! Biting flesh from womens' cheeks!
In that case, add Hopkins as Hannibal Lechter while you`re here sadesdrk

Now With Moveable Parts
D'oh. I was joking.

(he don't know me very well do he?)

Tell me that Ivan "the Sneaky ****in Russian" (From Snatch)wasen't HARD as a piece of 3 inch thick steel!!!!

He got shot, stabbed, hit by a car, and he was still going.

Federal Marshall
Although, unfortuneately he isn't the best of actors, Steven Seagal has to be thought of as amovie tough guy, I mean the guy's only emotions are indifferent, annoyed and pissed off. He doesn't even have it in him to smile,and I'm sure I read somewhere smiling is easier than frowning but whatever. He walks into a bar to arrest one guy and can't leave till he's broken at least one major limb of every last patron. Harsh... harsh but fair... or maybe just harsh.

Originally posted by sadesdrk
D'oh. I was joking.

(he don't know me very well do he?)
Double Doh!!
So was I...hence the and the .

Give it time though