Movie Tab II

Tools    

Sit Ubu Sit.... Good Dog

Get Carter (1971)
Directed by: Mike Hodges
Written by: Mike Hodges and Ted Lewis

Jack Carter (Michael Caine) heads north back to his hometown of Newcastle for his brothers funeral. Nothing really adds up about the way his brother died, supposedly he was dead drunk and drove his car into the river. Only problem with that is apparently Jack’s brother did not drink. It’s not that Jack is very smart but more that he’s unpredictable and goes on instinct making it so that you don’t have any idea what he is going to do next.
Get Carter is a story of revenge, a very dark and gritty story of revenge. Even though Carter is a morally challenged protagonist, you find yourself rooting for him, this film taps into your dark side making you want more of the force without pity that is Jack Carter.

I went and saw the remake of Get Carter (2000) with Sylvester Stallone and walked out of the theatre about 30 minutes into it, it was one of the worst movies I have ever tried to watch. After seeing that it did not make me want to run out and watch the original, big mistake on my part.
There is a huge difference in the story, main thing for me was that in the remake Sylvester Stallone’s character tried to hard to make you like him. Michael Caine did not try to make you like him or hate him, his character was just ruthless and didn’t care if you liked or loved Jack Carter. I really loved this film and thanks to HK for getting me to watch a movie I never probably would have on my own.

ICONIC BRITISH CAR PARK FROM "GET CARTER" TO BE DEMOLISHED

Trinity Square Car Park in Gateshead, England is scheduled for demolition - and legions of retro movies fans are grieving. That's because the parking garage is where a key sequence from Michael Caine's 1971 crime classic Get Carter was filmed.

I'm not old, you're just 12.
Strange Brew - Dave Thomas and Rick Moranis as two beer loving brothers who get involved in a plot to turn beer into a mind control drug...okay the plot isn't all that important. It's all about the slapstick silliness and weird humor. Loved it.

Kung Pow! Enter the Fist - This is a really strange movie. As far as I can tell, the film's writer and star superimposed himself into a B roll kung fu movie, re edited it, and re dubbed the entire thing with silly voices. I laughed, so it gets thumbs up from me.

https://shawnsmovienight.blogspot.com/

Bad movies. A lot of bad movies.

The Attic (2007). Contains what is possibly some of the worst acting I've ever seen. Writing was atrocious and the plot was nowhere near believable. Where was the horror? Nothing even remotely interesting in this entire movie.

Demon Warrior (1988). I don't really have much to say. The movie was stupid. That was that. I'm glad it is over.

The Prowler (1981). Not saying much, but this was probably the best "first watch" movie since Ice Cream Man on Saturday (seen about a dozen since then). Pretty good, for a slasher, but still not the kind of movie I'm planning on rewatching for many, many more years.

Devils of Darkness (1965). I didn't think it was too bad. Not deserving of its 4.1 on IMDb - maybe closer to a 5.9. Anyway, it was a pretty good vampire/occult movie for the period.

Killer Nun (1979). Now there's an idea for a movie. A drug addicted nun who goes around killing people. Too bad it sounds better on paper than on the telly. It had merit, but should've been handled differently.

Slime City (1988). I hate to say it, but I kind of liked it. Better than Class of Nuke 'em High which I watched immediately beforehand, I'll give it that much. The movie itself was pretty lame: man drinks elixir from basement of sorcerer's apartment building, becomes all slimy and must kill to regain normality. The guts looked like spaghetti and meatballs, but I can't say I was neither pleased with the film, nor enjoying myself as I watched it.

The Attic (2007). Contains what is possibly some of the worst acting I've ever seen.
I could be wrong, but this sounds like someone who's not seen Blood Feast. Am I right? Surely it's not worse than Blood Feast acting? BTW, for those looking for halloween treats, hasn't seen Blood Feast and likes/loves truly bad acting and films, I urge you to do so.

akatemple, I was sure you'd like Get Carter, but I'm really pleased to see just how much you liked it. It's a great film, IMO.

Sit Ubu Sit.... Good Dog

I really like the 1986 Allan Quartermain and the Lost City of Gold movie. I should have rented that and watched it again, but I did not do that. Instead I went ahead and got this 2008 FAILURE. Wow this movie is so horrible, there is nothing good at all to say about this film. There are so many mistakes in this, I don't see how during editing or shooting they did not catch that in Allan Quartermain's house in the film it has a alarm system, there was a blinking red light on a motion sensor in the hallway and this isn't one of those fraction of a second shots but probably about ten seconds the sensor is in view and right under it a modern day American style toilet. Oh yeah and this movie takes place somewhere between 1910 and 1920. Just please don't waste your time with this, I have just done anyone who reads this a huge favor.

I do not know how to give it a 0 or I would have.

So to make myself feel better I will put the Trailer for the 1986 Allan Quartermain movie below.

Cheerleader Autopsy (2003). Do not watch this movie.

Army of Darkness (1992). Very good film. Not quite up to the standards of the first, but much more enjoyable than the first sequel.

Sit Ubu Sit.... Good Dog
I really like the 1986 Allan Quartermain and the Lost City of Gold movie. I should have rented that and watched it again, but I did not do that. Instead I went ahead and got this 2008 FAILURE. Wow this movie is so horrible, there is nothing good at all to say about this film. There are so many mistakes in this, I don't see how during editing or shooting they did not catch that in Allan Quartermain's house in the film it has a alarm system, there was a blinking red light on a motion sensor in the hallway and this isn't one of those fraction of a second shots but probably about ten seconds the sensor is in view and right under it a modern day American style toilet. Oh yeah and this movie takes place somewhere between 1910 and 1920. Just please don't waste your time with this, I have just done anyone who reads this a huge favor.

I finally found a picture of the scene I was talking about above, it's not a very good pic but you can see the sensor. remember this takes place between 1910 and 1920.

Sit Ubu Sit.... Good Dog

9 (2009)

I can't believe I waited so long to see this film. This was a great animated movie, not for kids, this is a animated movie more for adults. This is a dark and gritty post apocalyptic story about a scientist who puts part of his soul into each one of the sewn up little lives, the characters must battle the evil machines so that they can finally be free. Elijah Wood, Christopher Plummer, Jennifer Connely and John C. Reilly add there voices to this film. If you are a fan of post apocalyptic and/or animated dark movies then you should deffinatly watch this one.

A system of cells interlinked
Dead and Buried (Sherman, 1981)

It's October, so I am grading horror on a curve.

Really though, this was pretty spooky in parts! Some kill scenes Lisa just loved, too...

"Time for your medicine!!!"

^

I watched this one recently as well, loved it for the most part. Competent 80s horror that didn't seem to be badly dated. I guessed the twist, or more thought before the reveal that it would make a good twist in a sequel. Was a nice little surprise of a film hadn't heard much for

Sit Ubu Sit.... Good Dog

Tucker and Dale vs Evil (2010)

Tucker (Alan Tudyk) and Dale (Tyler Labine) are on vacation up to there new cabin in the woods accidentally giving college kids they pass on the way the wrong impression. After things start going badly is when the hilarity starts when both sides (Hillbilly's/College Kids), the college kids think the Hillbilly's are trying to kill them and the Hillbilly's think the college kids are in some kind of suicide pact. Let the fun begin.

This is the perfect combination of Comedy and Horror, in my opinion this is the best thing that Alan Tudyk has done since Firefly and Serenity. I really recommend watching this movie, I laughed my ass off while watching plenty of blood flying through the air.

Casablanca (1942)

Superbly acted, written, and directed, Casablanca earns its title as the perfect movie. Even today, nearly 70 years after its release, this perennial classic remains one of the most gripping and entertaining films ever made.

Sit Ubu Sit.... Good Dog

Hobo with a Shotgun (2011)

Directed by: Jason Eisener

Written by: John Davies and Jason Eisener

A hobo (Rutger Hauer) jumps from a freight car hoping for a fresh start in a new city. Instead, he finds himself trapped in an urban hell. This is a world where criminals rule the streets and Drake (Brian Downey), the city's crime boss, reigns supreme alongside his sadistic murderous sons, Slick & Ivan. All the hobo wants is to save enough money to buy a lawnmower that is in the Pawn shop window, but winds up spending the money on a Shotgun instead. In a nutshell, HOBO WITH A SHOTGUN is a homage to the sleazy "Grindhouse" cult films from the 1980's. It's not a throw back to the 1970's cult films (like the amazing DEATH PROOF or HOUSE OF THE DEVIL), but more along the lines of the neon bright splatter flicks of the mid 80's.
This was originally a fake trailer created when Robert Rodriguez and Quentin Tarantino were bringing their Grindhouse film to the masses. The film is bloody, very bloody right from the very beginning. You really find yourself caring for the hobo and hoping nothing happens to his new friend Abby the hooker (Molly Dunsworth).

The car that Slick and Ivan drive in the movie is awesome, but I had no idea what kind of car it was so I did a bit of googling and found out it’s a Mid-70’s Canadian made car called a Bricklin.
There were references to a lot of great older movies and I swear right after the shotgun alteration scene there was an Evil Dead 2 Ash lookalike stuck in there, I might be wrong about that. If you like blood and guts with a bit of humor then watch this movie.

Bright light. Bright light. Uh oh.
Most people at this site really seemed to dislike this movie, but I accepted it as an over-the-top, intense exercise in style which had me smiling and naming at least 100 different films and 30 different directors. I wouldn't call it a "good movie" but I found it good entertainment, especially if you watched it with a group of people who understood all the references. I gave it
which is at least one popcorn box higher than anybody else I've noticed on here, at least until now.

Good whiskey make jackrabbit slap de bear.
The Rock (1996)

Batman (1989)