The Aviator (d. Martin Scorsese, 2004)

Tools    

loved it, awsome movie, and great job by dicaprio

Originally Posted by Pyro Tramp
I have no interest in this film at all, Scorsese, brilliant as he is, it wont make me see this
That's too bad. You're only short-changing yourself from seeing a good movie.

WhatEVER.
"Film is a disease. When it infects your bloodstream it takes over as the number one hormone. It bosses the enzymes, directs the pineal gland, plays Iago to your psyche. As with heroin, the antidote to Film is more Film." - Frank Capra

Seeing it tonight. Finally.

Im sure its a fantastic movie, it doesnt interest me, although saying that is a bit stupid as i dont really know anything about it except Leo is the main character and that dont float ma boat. I think i always associate Scorsese with a different genre and this doent seem to comply with my expectations.

Originally Posted by Pyro Tramp
I'm sure it's a fantastic movie, it doesnt interest me...although saying that is a bit stupid as I dont really know anything about it except Leo is the main character and that don't float my boat. I think I always associate Scorsese with a different genre and this doesn't seem to comply with my expectations.
Wow, you sound stupider and stupider the more you try to explain it! What kind of film lover would want something other than exactly what they expect in their half-assed assumptions? The Age of Innocence, The Last Temptation of Christ, Alice Doesn't Live Here Anymore, After Hours, The Last Waltz, Kundun and now The Aviator are all great movies made by Martin Scorsese that don't fit the easy knee-jerk classification of what his filmography is. He's got quite a bit of range beyond Taxi Driver, Raging Bull and GoodFellas.

I'm no fan of Leonardo DeCaprio's either, but he's very good in The Aviator. Surprisingly good, and actually just right as the young Hughes. I thought he was merely OK in Gangs of New York, but it didn't matter too much because Daniel-Day Lewis' performance carries the flick. Here Leo does the heavy lifting, and does it great. Kate Blanchett as Kate Hepburn is the best of the supporting cast, and may well be nominated and even win an Oscar for it (seems fitting that the first person to be nominated and win an Oscar playing an Oscar winner should do it playing the woman who won the most Oscars).

That you don't know anything about the subject should be a plus and not a minus, so that you will actually be surprised by where the narrative of this man's biography, as interpreted here, goes.

Or don't see it. Then you can begrudgingly see it on video months or a year from now, find out it's a great movie that would have been even greater to experience on the big screen, and come back here and read how dumb you were in assuming what it was. It'll be a fun game!

Sorry i dont know Scorsese's filmography but all his films that i've seen- Cape Fear, Gangs of New York, Taxi Driver, Goodfellas, Mean Streets have all been well, whatever. You're right, im just not as experienced in films as you, i may go see it as its being recommended so highly now anyway.

Well, i shall to try to immerse myself in his work of different genres as much as possible. I did forget he directed King of Comedy and Martin Scorsese presents The Blues should have reminded me he's not purely a crime director. Though you cant say im wrong for having an opinion, i do associate Scorsese with that genre, seeing as they are the films of his i have seen. And it is hard for me to see his other films since I only have 5 channels which i havn't seen them shown on. No decent video rental shops anywhere near to rent them. Full-time education, hence minimal income therefore i cant afford to buy all his films.
I had no idea you were such a fan of his and besides, as least now i know about the breadth of his filmography and will try to see The Aviator. So thanks.

Originally Posted by Frank Castle
Some say its Martin Scorsese's best film to date.
Those people are idiots, though I do appreciate the Fox News-like "some poeple say" form of sourcing!

Anyway, I do think Cate Blanchett was an amazing Katharine Hepburn. I don't think they could have done better without going back in time and getting Hepburn herself.

Someone Save Us College Kids
Originally Posted by Holden Pike
Those people are idiots, though I do appreciate the Fox News-like "some poeple say" form of sourcing!
Forgive me for im slow Holden, are we being sarcastic, or is it a compliment.

I am seriously looking forward to seeing this movie in all its glory as soon as possible. The cast of the film is very outstanding so it has to be a good movie, right?

Leonardo DiCaprio .... Howard Hughes
Cate Blanchett .... Katharine Hepburn
Kate Beckinsale .... Ava Gardner
John C. Reilly .... Noah Dietrich
Alec Baldwin .... Juan Trippe
Alan Alda .... Sen. Ralph Owen Brewster
Ian Holm .... Professor Fitz
Danny Huston .... Jack Frye
Gwen Stefani .... Jean Harlow
Jude Law .... Errol Flynn
Adam Scott .... Johnny Meyer
Matt Ross .... Glenn Odekirk
Kelli Garner .... Faith Domergue
Frances Conroy .... Mrs. Hepburn
Brent Spiner .... Robert Gross

Leonardo DiCaprio was much better in The Avaitor, then Gangs of New York. Cate Blanchett was amazing as Garrett said, She had a great "tom boy appeal".

All good people are asleep and dreaming.
Originally Posted by Movie-man
I am seriously looking forward to seeing this movie in all its glory as soon as possible. The cast of the film is very outstanding so it has to be a good movie, right?

Leonardo DiCaprio .... Howard Hughes
Cate Blanchett .... Katharine Hepburn
Kate Beckinsale .... Ava Gardner
John C. Reilly .... Noah Dietrich
Alec Baldwin .... Juan Trippe
Alan Alda .... Sen. Ralph Owen Brewster
Ian Holm .... Professor Fitz
Danny Huston .... Jack Frye
Gwen Stefani .... Jean Harlow
Jude Law .... Errol Flynn
Adam Scott .... Johnny Meyer
Matt Ross .... Glenn Odekirk
Kelli Garner .... Faith Domergue
Frances Conroy .... Mrs. Hepburn
Brent Spiner .... Robert Gross

Brent Spiner finest work since Star Trek.

What about Josie Maran's performance?

Oh my God!