filmgirlinterrupted's TOP 50

→ in
Tools    

Uff...harsh words there, under0ath. I disagree on all points, except for your mention of Memento (as it is Nolan's best). I get into this debate all the time so I'm not going to put any more effort into it. I love Christopher Nolan, that is all.
I don't hate Nolan. In fact I like him too. He's very talented but very overrated too. haha. sorry, It's just my honest opinion.

14?!?! And your favorite movie is "Vertigo?" Huh. You must have an old soul.
Its more or less because of my obsession with Hitchcock's films. It's his most personal film and I think it's the best representation of his unique ability to combine art and entertainment.

If you want to achieve greatness, stop asking for permission
The next movie is really important to me...working on composing a really good write-up. Stay tuned MoFos

We've gone on holiday by mistake
Rep for Dark Knight.

Cmon when are you doing next film??!! You posted that 3 days ago.

6. Fight Club

"Fight Club" isn't a movie; it's a statement. And a powerful statement at that.

In our society we build huge skyscrapers and massive factories and call it progress. We create a concrete jungle that becomes so inhospitable to natural life. We create and we destroy. We are also brought up with the pressure to do well, to be "successful." Going to college, getting a job, getting married, having babies...if you steer from this path, you are not succeeding.

"Fight Club" is the soapbox for men and women of Generation X. Unhappy, lonely, confused, and angry.

It's also a platform for modern gender constructs: single-parent families are more prevalent than they were for our parents. There are sons who are being raised by their mothers, who will grow up without much sense for what it takes to be a man. On the flip side, you have daughters being raised by their mothers, who will grow up without having interracted with a man - thus making it harder for women to relate to men. Relationships become more difficult, marriages fail, and the whole cycle starts all over again.

"Fight Club" is anti-society, anti-consumerism, anti-capitalism, & anti-government. It's everything our parents and grandparents feared. In thier eyes, "Fight Club" is subversive and nihilistic.

In my eyes, "Fight Club" is an anthem.

6. Fight Club

"Fight Club" is anti-society, anti-consumerism, anti-capitalism, & anti-government. It's everything our parents and grandparents feared. In thier eyes, "Fight Club" is subversive and nihilistic.
Yeah, all the way up until the last five minutes. Then it balks on the entire concept because everyone, deep down, knows it's ridiculous.

I can seriously watch this movie every day. I never get tired of it!
Ten years ago I said the same exact thing. I can still quote 90% of the film. Unfortunately, I have completely turned on the film. I no longer buy into Tyler Durden's bulls***. It's an anti-conformist anthem, true, but what he "envisions" is complete nonsense and I think the film knows this.

The ultimate irony is the people who made the film certainly don't buy into the very thing that people latch onto in the film. "We've all been raised on television to believe that one day we'll be millionaires and movie God's and rock stars, but we won't." Unless we made this film...

EDIT: I am enjoying your list, it's fascinating how close it would be to my favorite films ten-twelve years ago. Now I'm getting old and sentimental.

Ok, most of my animosity toward Fight Club is the fans (how many people call themselves Tyler Durden on the internet ignoring the fact that the 'real' Durden would never post on an internet forum about movies or Texas Hold 'Em or whatever), but the makers of the film knew what the fans would latch onto and they exploited it. Of course Fincher realized the irony of casting Pitt as Durden, but they also had to know that it was Durden's message that people would latch onto, ignoring the end message of the film. After all, very few people call themselves "Jack, the Narrator".

One of my favorite quotes from the articlce:

Of course it’s irritating, at the least, to some people.” Little wonder Fight Club riled so many viewers, then – as Pitt acknowledges, “It attacks a way of life, it attacks the status quo that men have given 40 years to. They can’t roll over now.”

But it doesn't commit to attacking the lifestyle, IMO. At the end Jack wants to stop Durden. He knows he's wrong.

But, the film is very ironic, as they said, Fincher set out to make a comedy. I think, as a satire it works. The problems of modern society are not the issue. The issue at hand is Durden's end game scenario. People latch onto the character, people in the real world calling Norton "Sir", naming their virtual selves after him, some people even started ficght clubs in real life! But no one, no matter how much they love the film, would want to follow Durden to his end game scenario. Who would really want to live in the world he envisions, a world of hunting and gathering in the ruins of modern society, taking a vast leap backward from technology and progress? Certainly not the people who call themselves "Tyler Durden" on internet message boards.

I think by ignoring the things they don't agree with while idolizing the character and calling the film an "anthem" is exactly the irony that Fincher and company must love. While people may agree with Durden's condemnation of modern society, they certainly can't agree that Durden's plan is a good idea.

“It’s less of a love story than it is an apology,” says Fincher. “It’s an apology for bad behaviour.”

And yet, people latched onto the bad behavior with an almost religious zeal. I can't fault Fincher (completely, though he certainly knew what he was doing) for how the fans react to the film, but I can't figure out the love people have for certain aspects of the film while seemingly ignoring the rest of it.

Chuck Palahniuk on the other hand...I believe there's an honest-to-God bit of Tyler Durden in that man. All one has to do is read his collection of essay's to see it. I admire him and his novel(s) far more than the film. And don't get me started on how off the mark the film adaptation of Choke was. It was like they read a different novel than the one I read.

Let the flaming begin, I have developed a tough skin because of idiotic posts like this one. I am fully prepared to have every one of you hate me for voicing my opinion of Fight Club. By the way, I still have the deluxe edition DVD somewhere in my collection. I just never watch it anymore because I think about the people who think that Tyler Durden was actually on to something.

EDIT: Nice article.

And yet, people latched onto the bad behavior with an almost religious zeal. I can't fault Fincher (completely, though he certainly knew what he was doing) for how the fans react to the film, but I can't figure out the love people have for certain aspects of the film while seemingly ignoring the rest of it.
Have you not heard of religious texts/religion? It's quite popular with those people.

Actually, scrub that. Have you not met people?

Have you not heard of religious texts/religion? It's quite popular with those people.

Actually, scrub that. Have you not met people?
Not in about ten years or so, no not really.

I'm a sad little man...

EDIT: Holy crap, I got +rep for that post! Wow!

Of course Fincher realized the irony of casting Pitt as Durden, but they also had to know that it was Durden's message that people would latch onto, ignoring the end message of the film.
BB, if I may ask...what do you think the end message of the film was?

BB, if I may ask...what do you think the end message of the film was?
That Tyler wasn't right. That he really didn't have all the answers.

But that's not at all what people take away from the film.

EDIT: He understands the problems, but doesn't have the solutions. That's what I felt The Narrator thought of Tyler in the end.