The Videogames Tab

Tools    

It's fun to razz you a little like that... glad you take it so well. So who is "notwarningtrack" then if it's not you?

P.S. These are really fun to watch!
Oh that was totally me. But "MarningTrack" definitely wasn't. That was just chat catching on to the bit.

BTW figured this would make your day, from the SpyParty Discord (where I also linked the stream):

2022 Mofo Fantasy Football Champ
Remember getting a NES for Christmas with a ton of games. My dad found it at a rummage sale I believe. It was the best gift ever and still have it all.

That elusive hide-and-seek cow is at it again
werr-wee werr-wee, werr-wee;
3 more days till dia-blo-2, dia-blo-2, dia-blo-2!
Silver Mephisto!

speaking of Blizzard, I ended up downloading the free Starcraft II and...wait. I already said this, I think? ANYWAY this has become my new fix on so many levels. It's even absorbed my movie time =\. I did, however, get in a rental viewing of Pig this weekend. aaaaand I loved it.

"Ever try to forcibly pin down a house cat? It's not easy." - Captain Steel

"I just can't get pass sticking a finger up a dog's butt." - John Dumbear

“Sugar is the most important thing in my life…”
Your review of the film was great. Loved reading it.

Enjoying the new Psychonauts 2 so far....just as good as the original

On the fly commentary for:

Thanks a lot, McClane for bringing this one back to the foreground. Grrr... Yeah, I had been eying it passively for the last few weeks but never figured I'd jump on it. Perhaps the recent dive back into Starcraft II rekindled an old school love for Blizzard (then, less so much now), but the night before release I ended up purchasing the DII + DIII package. I have DIII on the PS systems, but thought what the heckers, for another 20 bucks I have it available on PC for when I need a dumb shooter =\ Wait. Shooter? Yeah. .....yeah.

I've read a few reviews and I have to say that 2 of 3 read a bit unfair and arrogant. Like, in the way someone who grew up in today's modern gaming standards has tried to jump in for a DII run without contexts of what existed (with all the limitations) in that time. All social/political drama from Blizzard aside, this game, to me, pretty much nails all expectations. And, as an aside, has taught me a bit about myself having not really played this game for around 15 years.

As noted, it's been a while since I've touched the original. It resides on an old PC still lurking in the shadows of a back room closet. So I won't be able to draw any practical comparisons between it and today's Resurrected, but the developers did manage to wedge one very cool feature in to help. At any point during gameplay you have the option to hit the "G" key on your keyboard, toggling the original graphics. It's immediate, as in it requires no load time and can happen during combat, if you're weird enough to want that.

I find myself constantly toggling the display to see how the remastered content looks in comparison, or to clod around in my bouncing 2000-era character (bouncing because the screen scroll was NOT smooth back then!). Yes, resolution reverts back to classic (or annoying, depending on your definition of nostalgia) 800 PIXELS in 4:3 FORMAT!!!! Still, the game is great. The soundtrack is still there, the voice acting is the same, and the grind---OMG the grind---is as Hellraiser-esque painful and pleasurable at it ever was.

There were details that threw me off (and this is where I split with some of the review complaints referenced earlier), such as the fact that you can only arm two (yes, TWO) skills at a time. That's one for your left mouse button, and another for the right. Granted, you do have a key-bind weapons swap (W) that changes the weapons in hand and the two attack caster attack options for, I suppose (counts) a total of four attack binds? I had forgotten that particular limitation and died a few times for it. To compromise, it seems that Blizzard added binding options to the F1-F8 key row. To be very clear about this, I have not tested it as I feel if it wasn't in the old then I don't want it in the new, but it reads as those those F-key binds are not direct casts either. Instead, they act similarly to the (W) weapons switch. I believe that you can assign different left/right mouse associations to different cast attacks with the pair bound to one F-key. So (counts again) that should be eight sets of two-key bind options. Only AFTER hitting one of the F-keys, of course, can you then cast the switched attack by using your left and right mouse buttons. Wonkiness to a degree, but at least it keeps in line with the heart of the original game rather the Warcraft style of custom binding everything, infinitely. Oh, and good luck attempting to run-and-gun as has become the standard within DIII. Not. A. Chance. Your left mouse button serves dual functions: one is to click-to-move, while the other is to click the target to attack. It's one or the other, folks. Such a wonderfully painful reminder to how spoiled we've all become!!

As of last night, I cleared Act I capping a weekend run, and I have to say that this game is SLOW. That's not a bad thing, but I had forgotten just how short attention-spanned my attention span has become over the last twenty years or so of gaming evolution. Some reviewers have complained about having the same number of slots for your gear and that that, somehow, is unacceptable. Hogwash, I say! That was part of the game! Why else would you need to buy so danged many Scrolls of Town Portal?! You're almost required to pop back to the Rogue Encampment every 10 minutes or so just to unload your loot for gold. All the more reason to stop and chat it up with each vender as their gear resets with each new camp visit! THAT. IS. THIS. GAME!!! Why would they complain for that? I love it. But, alas, that is also a cold reminder of just how much time I had to completely waste as my then twenty-something self. I'm not sure how much of that near required grind time I have now to devote to each dungeon, though I do so want to!

As long you have realistic expectations for what this game is (was), and aren't looking back through some weird rose-tinted goggles expecting the unrealistic, then you should still love this game just as much as you did way back when. It really is as addictive as I remember it being.

You ready? You look ready.
OK, so you bought it for PC then?

Hmm, work has been so insane that I honestly had no intention of buying it till winter break, but I could be convinced to buy it now and set aside a little time every week to play some co-op. You in the mofo discord server, @ynwtf?

Should I plunk down the money?

I'm truly convinced they only re-released this to get more people playing Diablo 3 and to save themselves from the cluster **** that WoW has become. Blizzard really dropping the ball of late, so I imagine they are hard up for cash.
"This is that human freedom, which all boast that they possess, and which consists solely in the fact, that men are conscious of their own desire, but are ignorant of the causes whereby that desire has been determined." -Baruch Spinoza

Hmm, work has been so insane that I honestly had no intention of buying it till winter break, but I could be convinced to buy it now and set aside a little time every week to play some co-op. You in the mofo discord server, @ynwtf?

I'm truly convinced they only re-released this to get more people playing Diablo 3 and to save themselves from the cluster **** that WoW has become. Blizzard really dropping the ball of late, so I imagine they are hard up for cash.
No rush. I'm sure I'll still be playing during the winter But yeah, I'm game to game whenever you decide to jump in. PC, yes. I can't imagine these prices are going to stay this high for long. I could be totally misreading it though.

That's a shame. I quit because the game became so automated. Each quest was laid out for you so much that it was like the game was playing itself. Does that apply to Classic as well?

That's a shame. I quit because the game just became so automated in that each quest was so laid out for you so much that it was like the game was playing itself. Does that apply to Classic as well?
I returned to Classic a bit over a year ago and played casually for a few months. It felt as it did when I first started soon after original The Burning Crusades expansion. I was never a hard core gamer there though, so take what I type with a grain of salt please. I mostly soloed as a rogue, did a lot of battlegrounds, and would randomly group with strangers on similar quest lines. I rarely did raids or 5-man dungeons. I hated trying to keep up with timing details, raid specs, and all that. Felt more like a second job than a game. So I just ran around defending lower players from horde gankers and such.

As to Classic, I really enjoyed it. If you mean issues like being told where to go and it showing on your map, well, that exists in Classic but you have to get add-ons to do so. Same as it used to be. When I was playing it, I do not think it was part of the default interface without downloading a few addons like Questie or the likes.

For context, I stopped playing Warcraft soon after Mists of Pandarea (I think). Lich King was the last expansion that I took seriously. Cataclysm kinda screwed the world up, for me, and everyone migrated out of Stormwind and Ironforge. I could be mixing my expacs tho, but it all blurs for me and I got irritated. For me, Burning Crusades was great and seeing that they've released that as a Classic expansion, if I ever return that's as far as I'll go with it.

Re WoW:

https://kotaku.com/wow-disappointmen...nto-1847283978

I played WoW all of five minutes back in 2012-2013. It didn't WoW me.
well, killing wolves and troggs in the starter zone kinda sucks but having a few higher level friends in game that can run you through the first few entry raids to boost your XP and gear? priceless. and THAT, my friend, is where the fun start. being able to roam the world at around lv13 without being insta-killed by a frog.

On the fly commentary for:

Thanks a lot, McClane for bringing this one back to the foreground. Grrr... Yeah, I had been eying it passively for the last few weeks but never figured I'd jump on it. Perhaps the recent dive back into Starcraft II rekindled an old school love for Blizzard (then, less so much now), but the night before release I ended up purchasing the DII + DIII package. I have DIII on the PS systems, but thought what the heckers, for another 20 bucks I have it available on PC for when I need a dumb shooter =\ Wait. Shooter? Yeah. .....yeah.

I've read a few reviews and I have to say that 2 of 3 read a bit unfair and arrogant. Like, in the way someone who grew up in today's modern gaming standards has tried to jump in for a DII run without contexts of what existed (with all the limitations) in that time. All social/political drama from Blizzard aside, this game, to me, pretty much nails all expectations. And, as an aside, has taught me a bit about myself having not really played this game for around 15 years.

As noted, it's been a while since I've touched the original. It resides on an old PC still lurking in the shadows of a back room closet. So I won't be able to draw any practical comparisons between it and today's Resurrected, but the developers did manage to wedge one very cool feature in to help. At any point during gameplay you have the option to hit the "G" key on your keyboard, toggling the original graphics. It's immediate, as in it requires no load time and can happen during combat, if you're weird enough to want that.

I find myself constantly toggling the display to see how the remastered content looks in comparison, or to clod around in my bouncing 2000-era character (bouncing because the screen scroll was NOT smooth back then!). Yes, resolution reverts back to classic (or annoying, depending on your definition of nostalgia) 800 PIXELS in 4:3 FORMAT!!!! Still, the game is great. The soundtrack is still there, the voice acting is the same, and the grind---OMG the grind---is as Hellraiser-esque painful and pleasurable at it ever was.

There were details that threw me off (and this is where I split with some of the review complaints referenced earlier), such as the fact that you can only arm two (yes, TWO) skills at a time. That's one for your left mouse button, and another for the right. Granted, you do have a key-bind weapons swap (W) that changes the weapons in hand and the two attack caster attack options for, I suppose (counts) a total of four attack binds? I had forgotten that particular limitation and died a few times for it. To compromise, it seems that Blizzard added binding options to the F1-F8 key row. To be very clear about this, I have not tested it as I feel if it wasn't in the old then I don't want it in the new, but it reads as those those F-key binds are not direct casts either. Instead, they act similarly to the (W) weapons switch. I believe that you can assign different left/right mouse associations to different cast attacks with the pair bound to one F-key. So (counts again) that should be eight sets of two-key bind options. Only AFTER hitting one of the F-keys, of course, can you then cast the switched attack by using your left and right mouse buttons. Wonkiness to a degree, but at least it keeps in line with the heart of the original game rather the Warcraft style of custom binding everything, infinitely. Oh, and good luck attempting to run-and-gun as has become the standard within DIII. Not. A. Chance. Your left mouse button serves dual functions: one is to click-to-move, while the other is to click the target to attack. It's one or the other, folks. Such a wonderfully painful reminder to how spoiled we've all become!!

As of last night, I cleared Act I capping a weekend run, and I have to say that this game is SLOW. That's not a bad thing, but I had forgotten just how short attention-spanned my attention span has become over the last twenty years or so of gaming evolution. Some reviewers have complained about having the same number of slots for your gear and that that, somehow, is unacceptable. Hogwash, I say! That was part of the game! Why else would you need to buy so danged many Scrolls of Town Portal?! You're almost required to pop back to the Rogue Encampment every 10 minutes or so just to unload your loot for gold. All the more reason to stop and chat it up with each vender as their gear resets with each new camp visit! THAT. IS. THIS. GAME!!! Why would they complain for that? I love it. But, alas, that is also a cold reminder of just how much time I had to completely waste as my then twenty-something self. I'm not sure how much of that near required grind time I have now to devote to each dungeon, though I do so want to!

As long you have realistic expectations for what this game is (was), and aren't looking back through some weird rose-tinted goggles expecting the unrealistic, then you should still love this game just as much as you did way back when. It really is as addictive as I remember it being.
omg i havent played diablo for long time :O

Weird. Since starting DII I've completely abandoned all other gaming interests. No more Starcraft II (which is weird, considering how addictive THAT lil gem is), no more Outer Wilds (admittedly, I did hit a plateau there in progression), no more Everspace (which is a GREAT space flight fighter baby EVE kinda vibe), and even no more push into Ghosts of Tsushima. I haven't even downloaded the expansion! The heckers is up with that? *cue Cap's "what's up widdat?" SNL clip*.

I think I mentioned having cleared ACT I, but that was with an offline character. There is one tab of offline characters with which save states are stored locally, on your drive; and there is another tab for online characters. You can join a lobby, join currently ongoing games that other players have started (assuming you fall within the specs and/or player restrictions set for that game), or you can create your own by setting player count and level range gaps. There is, of course, the competitive progress ladder, that you'll remember from well, memory. And the online gameplay resets the level layouts on each reload, keeping your discovered port locations active. Offline gameplay keeps the level design as discovered, even after logging out and returning. So that's something cool if you just want to run through without having to rediscover where everything is each time.

Bla bla bla. I don't mean to detail the game more. Mostly, I'm just a bit surprised that I'm playing it as much as I am, crawling through every corner. I really didn't think I'd have (or even want) the time for it.

GG.

Bought a Logitech G29 and Assetto Corsa. What a wheel, what a game!