My Favorite Meryl Streep Performances

Tools    

Pleasantly surprised by your #1 pick. Loved that movie since I was a kid. Mad, Hel and Ernest still crack me up.

Great performances on your list that I have seen and also need to add to my watchlist. Especially enjoyed this list because Meryl is one of my favorites. Great job!

I ve always found Meryl s nose annoying to look at, she s otherwise a beauty but then comes her nose......wonder why she couldn t fix it...at least a bit

Hot take coming in. I've found her overrated. She straddles the over acting line to me. She just cherry picks award bait roles/movies. I've never once said man I have to see that Meryl Strep movie/role. I find her smug and that stuff comes off on screen to me. I've admittedly haven't seen a ton of her work because the stuff I have seen is uninteresting. I think Cate Blanchett is way better. What do I know though? Next to nothing. Although I am planning on watching Kramar vs Kramar when I get some time here soon, never seen it. I am hoping it is Cosmo vs Cosmo ;-)

101 Favorite Movies (2019)

Hot take coming in. I've found her overrated. She straddles the over acting line to me. She just cherry picks award bait roles/movies. I've never once said man I have to see that Meryl Strep movie/role. I find her smug and that stuff comes off on screen to me. I've admittedly haven't seen a ton of her work because the stuff I have seen is uninteresting. I think Cate Blanchett is way better. What do I know though? Next to nothing. Although I am planning on watching Kramar vs Kramar when I get some time here soon, never seen it. I am hoping it is Cosmo vs Cosmo ;-)
u should definitely watch kramer vs kramer

Pleasantly surprised by your #1 pick. Loved that movie since I was a kid. Mad, Hel and Ernest still crack me up.

Great performances on your list that I have seen and also need to add to my watchlist. Especially enjoyed this list because Meryl is one of my favorites. Great job!
loved that scene lol

Interesting that you say that. I concede that she is a very talented actress. Yet I can't readily recall a movie she was in that I liked. The last that comes to mind is Manhattan (1979). She's one of the Hollywood people that believe their opinions ought to be heard and agreed with simply because they're famous. But she's so associated with the wacky PC/SJ crowd, that I almost can't enjoy her in a film.

Interesting that you say that. I concede that she is a very talented actress. Yet I can't readily recall a movie she was in that I liked. The last that comes to mind is Manhattan (1979). She's one of the Hollywood people that believe their opinions ought to be heard and agreed with simply because they're famous. But she's so associated with the wacky PC/SJ crowd, that I almost can't enjoy her in a film.
Listen she is obviously talented...in my dumb opinion I don't get the appeal. She's never to me had a defining role that even people who don't watch movies know. She is just a well known name because the Oscars can't get off her jock. I can't recall her being in a movie ever where I just said I can't miss that, or you have to see this.

As far as her politics. That's 3/4s of Hollywood now. Between the streaming and preaching movies I haven't been excited for a movie since Tenet. There is a reason people are making a killing on YouTube reacting to older movies.

Victim of The Night
Ah, here it is (the thread, I mean).
Ok, well, all I can do is wholeheartedly, but respectfully, disagree.
I think she's the opposite of the over-actor, she is the one who can entirely inhabit a role to the degree that even though she's a superstar I can forget it's her. Her portrayal of Julia Child, a person I grew up watching every day because of my mother, was startling to me. It wasn't mimicry it was like she was Julia Child, back from the grave to be in this movie.
And that's just one of maybe 30 times I've seen her and thought, "Well, I wonder who the second-best actor in the world is?"
And I am the opposite of you in that I will watch any movie with her in it based on the strength of her being in it alone. I don't know about smug but I know she was treated very badly at the beginning of her career, called "ugly" and told she could never make it with a face like hers while male actors she knew and worked with who were not handsome were becoming the superstars of their time. She fought through all of that because she was simply the best there is and she rode that through all the prejudices against her to become the grand dame of acting. Because she is simply better than everyone else.
I agree with you on one thing, I think of Cate Blanchett and Tilda Swinton as being the obvious heirs to her throne but they can't have it while she's still working because if she even clears her throat it reminds everyone that she's still the best.

Victim of The Night
Listen she is obviously talented...in my dumb opinion I don't get the appeal. She's never to me had a defining role that even people who don't watch movies know. She is just a well known name because the Oscars can't get off her jock. I can't recall her being in a movie ever where I just said I can't miss that, or you have to see this.

As far as her politics. That's 3/4s of Hollywood now. Between the streaming and preaching movies I haven't been excited for a movie since Tenet. There is a reason people are making a killing on YouTube reacting to older movies.
I wanna be super-clear that when I ask this question this isn't to try to devalue your opinion, what I'm trying to do is determine context.
The question is, how old are you?
And the reason is that your perspective sounds like someone who came to know her after she was already acting royalty and so it's left you a bit on the outside trying to understand why she got there and why "the Oscars can't get off her jock". And I would totally understand that if you were under, say, 40 years old, honestly.
I actually watched her ascend and so I got to see her go from nobody, to upstart, never being allowed to be an ingenue because she wasn't pretty enough, and engaging with the most challenging roles available for a woman at the time, again and again, and again, doing nothing that would make her popular, just always choosing the toughest work (Sophie's Choice, The Deer Hunter, The French Lieutenant's Woman, Kramer vs. Kramer, Silkwood, Ironweed), until she had fully established herself as the best there was. Then she got a little more playful.
But she still has the chops. I honestly thought not only Julia Child but also Miranda Priestly were just amazing performances. She never stops impressing me.

Jerry Seinfeld called Meryl Streep "pretentious" on Seinfeld.

Jerry Seinfeld called Meryl Streep "pretentious" on Seinfeld.
Which was a joke, obviously. (He's a comedian.)

Which was a joke, obviously. (He's a comedian.)
Yes, it was part of the plot... because Elaine revealed she faked orgasms with Jerry... so the conversation turns to "acting"... Elaine suggests they go see a Meryl Streep movie because Streep is so authentic... and Jerry (still miffed over Elaine's "acting" out orgasms) goes off on Meryl Streep being a pretentious, overrated phony.

Jerry was projecting his anger over Elaine's "acting" onto Meryl Streep because it was Elaine raving about what a great actress Streep is.

Join us next week for another psychological analysis of Seinfeld episodes!

I wanna be super-clear that when I ask this question this isn't to try to devalue your opinion, what I'm trying to do is determine context.
The question is, how old are you?
And the reason is that your perspective sounds like someone who came to know her after she was already acting royalty and so it's left you a bit on the outside trying to understand why she got there and why "the Oscars can't get off her jock". And I would totally understand that if you were under, say, 40 years old, honestly.
I actually watched her ascend and so I got to see her go from nobody, to upstart, never being allowed to be an ingenue because she wasn't pretty enough, and engaging with the most challenging roles available for a woman at the time, again and again, and again, doing nothing that would make her popular, just always choosing the toughest work (Sophie's Choice, The Deer Hunter, The French Lieutenant's Woman, Kramer vs. Kramer, Silkwood, Ironweed), until she had fully established herself as the best there was. Then she got a little more playful.
But she still has the chops. I honestly thought not only Julia Child but also Miranda Priestly were just amazing performances. She never stops impressing me.
I am 34. We can respectful disagree. Obviously I am in the minority. I have never said one time in my life oooo that's a Meryl Streep movie, I gotta see that. I think she cherry picks movies/roles that will showcase her because she knows the Oscars will do anything to get a whiff of her farts. Instead of picking entertaining movies. I just personally don't get it. She may have started on the bottom but she is part of the Hollywood elite that is ruining Hollywood now. It's all about moral superiority rather than entertainment. God bless her but she ain't for me.

Yes, it was part of the plot... because Elaine revealed she faked orgasms with Jerry... so the conversation turns to "acting"... Elaine suggests they go see a Meryl Streep movie because Streep is so authentic... and Jerry (still miffed over Elaine's "acting" out orgasms) goes off on Meryl Streep being a pretentious, overrated phony.

Jerry was projecting his anger over Elaine's "acting" onto Meryl Streep because it was Elaine raving about what a great actress Streep is.

I am here for it lol

I look forward to the summer full of analysis on George.

Just gonna pretend that number 1 is Bridges of Madison County and go on about my business

"Film is a disease. When it infects your bloodstream it takes over as the number one hormone. It bosses the enzymes, directs the pineal gland, plays Iago to your psyche. As with heroin, the antidote to Film is more Film." - Frank Capra