A scary thing happened on the way to the Movie Forums - Horrorcrammers

Tools    

So I watched 3 seasons of Slasher on Netflix. There’s a fourth on Shudder which I’ll probably check out when I get Shudder again in October,

This is an anthology show by season, so each season is its own self-contained serial killer mystery kinda thing,
Season 1 is called The Executioner and it’s pretty bad. The story is standard murderer killing people based on the seven deadly sins and bringing a small town’s dark secrets to light. It’s rote and forgettable.

Season 2 is Guilty Party and it’s a little better. It’s I Know What You Did Last Summer taken further and with some unique twists. This one has the best characters, kills and gore of all of them.

Season 3 is Solstice and in some ways the worst of all of them. A masked killer terrorizes an apartment complex full of every crude stereotype imaginable: drunk white supremacist hillbilly, slutty blonde mean girl, strict overbearing Muslim parents, Asian gamer girl, mustachioed suspenders-wearing hipster obsessed with making overpriced lattes, closeted gay man leading double life, lonely schoolteacher, etc. Each episode covers three hours so the whole season takes place in a day, but the show doesn’t do anything with that format. It might as well have not even bothered. There was also some half baked bull**** about cellphones and social media.

The killer is always the most obvious choice, I kept expecting the bait and switch to prove me wrong but nope, it’s always the person I predicted at the beginning of the season. Some actors carry over in each season too but not in a gimmicky way like AHS. I think they just like their acting and hire them again.

Overall it’s not really worth watching. If you really wanna check it out just do season 2.

Can't say anything ever happened to me on the way to the Movie Forum

I think Takoma watched it?

I know DaMU did based on his Letterboxd, but he didn't make the jump.

I remember DaMU making an account here when Corrie went down, but I don't believe he's posted here yet, which is a shame since I don't have Letterboxd.

I’ve seen it, good stuff. Didn’t blow my mind, but I didn’t expect it to. Otherwise, excellent.
Yeah, I was kind of mixed on it when I left the theater, but it's been growing on me since I've picked up on some of the themes in it.

Nobody else has seen the new Candyman yet? I'm surprised.
I watched it. Overall I dug it a lot but the script is slapdash and replaces the gothic romance and subtext of the original with didactic text that feels half baked.

The performances and direction really elevate a script that desperately needed a few more drafts. The ideas are there. They just don't come together as well as I would like.

Nobody else has seen the new Candyman yet? I'm surprised.
I saw it opening weekend and liked it quite a bit.

The new Candyman is really good.
Yo' Candyman, tell 'em the truth.

I'll still end up with my hookin' ya boots.

I watched it. Overall I dug it a lot but the script is slapdash and replaces the gothic romance and subtext of the original with didactic text that feels half baked.

The performances and direction really elevate a script that desperately needed a few more drafts. The ideas are there. They just don't come together as well as I would like.
Out of curiosity, what about the script felt didactic to you?

In my experience with the film, the strengths of some of its thematic set pieces (Anthony's artwork, the abundance of white victims, the portrayal of the police in a few key scenes, Burke's motivations) carried the film really well.

Lust for Frankenstein is boring me. It's a very slow-movie horny grunge video. And I love grunge. This managed to ruin what grunge is about.

Lust for Frankenstein is boring me. It's a very slow-movie horny grunge video. And I love grunge. This managed to ruin what grunge is about.

Even as a fan of Franco, my sympathies for your aim to watch 20 of his movies continues.

Just so you know, you can probably swap a handful of Paul Morrissey films in there to give yourself a little hope. They are as swampy and horny as Franco movies, but a little more fun in their swampy horniness.

'90s Franco?!?

You are a brave man...

Even as a fan of Franco, my sympathies for your aim to watch 20 of his movies continues.

Just so you know, you can probably swap a handful of Paul Morrissey films in there to give yourself a little hope. They are as swampy and horny as Franco movies, but a little more fun in their swampy horniness.

Heehee, if he's got 180 movies, I'm in for a wild cheese fest for 20 alone. I love how people compare the action of checking out HIS movies to masochism.

20 was only an option, but now I definitely gotta try for 20.

I've only seen Flesh for Frankenstein and Blood for Dracula, but they feel a lot more overtly constructed and deliberate in their camp than anything I've seen from Uncle Jess. But yes, good stuff, especially the latter.

I've only seen Flesh for Frankenstein and Blood for Dracula, but they feel a lot more overtly constructed and deliberate in their camp than anything I've seen from Uncle Jess. But yes, good stuff, especially the latter.

Oh, they have lots of differences.

But if you want someone who is playing with gothic horror reflexes and thinks it is need of a bunch more throbby knobs, I'm pretty sure both Morrissey and Franco offer throbby knob rebates for frequent flyers.

Heehee, if he's got 180 movies, I'm in for a wild cheese fest for 20 alone. I love how people compare the action of checking out HIS movies to masochism.

20 was only an option, but now I definitely gotta try for 20.

I missed why this goal was started. I don't know if I've broken double digits in terms of Franco, but even in what I've seen it can be really hit or miss... by whatever standards I'd use to watch a Jess Franco movie.

Tastes being different and all, but I think the following stood out in my memory:
Virgin Among the Living Dead (probably my favorite)
Vampyros Lesbos
The Erotic Rites of Frankenstein
and the Jack the Ripper movie with Klaus Kinski (actually, it doesn't stick out in my mind too much, but when watching The Duke of Burgundy, I was like, oh, I recognize that prismatic use of color. Plus it's Klaus Kinski. Problematic as he is, it's at least a crazy performance).

If you consider watching The Demons, I'd just say, don't bother, just rewatch The Devils. But Ken Russell isn't part of your goal.

I think I've seen She Killed in Ecstacy and found myself bored by it.

The one I haven't seen, but seem to know the name of (fwiw), is Venus in Furs, so that'd probably be the next one I'd personally be watching...
except I've never seen any Jean Rollin, and I feel the need to correct that this year.

Oh, they have lots of differences.

But if you want someone who is playing with gothic horror reflexes and thinks it is need of a bunch more throbby knobs, I'm pretty sure both Morrissey and Franco offer throbby knob rebates for frequent flyers.
Please, this thread is no place for throbby knobs.

My thread however...

I think Takoma watched it?

I know DaMU did based on his Letterboxd, but he didn't make the jump.
I wish.

I'm not venturing anywhere near public indoor spaces, but I am really excited to see it. I LOVE the original and I feel as though I have my expectations reasonably tempered.