Coronavirus

Tools    

We just got a message that we're getting a mask mandate put in place for the start of the school year. (For the record, our county metrics have exceeded the levels that the state previously said meant you shouldn't even be at school in person). This is obviously a huge relief, and big commiserations to those of you who want mask mandates in your workplace but don't have them.

I'm really happy.
Great news.

Funny/sad anecdote: My aunt was in a mad scramble to get vaccinated today. Was it out of concern for the safety of her loved ones? No, it's because today is her birthday and restaurants in my city require proof of vaccination.
Hey - whatever it takes, I guess. At least she's getting the shot.

Spanish Flu: (No vaccines, no treatments, no modern medical technology) = 2 years & 2 months.
Covid-19: (3 vaccines, multiple treatments, lots of modern medical technology) = 1 year & 8.5 months (so far).

Projected 6.5 months to go to equal the timeline of the Spanish Flu (but with all the advances we have now, herd immunity should come much quicker).

You can't make a rainbow without a little rain.
Great news.

Funny/sad anecdote: My aunt was in a mad scramble to get vaccinated today. Was it out of concern for the safety of her loved ones? No, it's because today is her birthday and restaurants in my city require proof of vaccination.
Hey - whatever it takes, I guess. At least she's getting the shot.

Starting today, (Aug. 17th), New York City requires proof of vaccination for indoor venues, including restaurants, bars, fitness gyms, movie and stage theaters, museums and other indoor venues. And starting September 13th, employees of indoor venues will be required to be vaccinated.

Starting today, (Aug. 17th), New York City requires proof of vaccination for indoor venues, including restaurants, bars, fitness gyms, movie and stage theaters, museums and other indoor venues. And starting September 13th, employees of indoor venues will be required to be vaccinated.
Ours started Monday. Today I learned that the only requirement is that you have proof of one shot. So my aunt could've entered a restaurant mere moments after getting her shot, even though you're not considered fully vaccinated until 2 weeks after the second shot. So I'm glad my mayor is staying on top of things, but I still don't see myself venturing out any time soon.

Ours started Monday. Today I learned that the only requirement is that you have proof of one shot. So my aunt could've entered a restaurant mere moments after getting her shot, even though you're not considered fully vaccinated until 2 weeks after the second shot. So I'm glad my mayor is staying on top of things, but I still don't see myself venturing out any time soon.

I think it's the same thing here, (proof of one shot).

There's even an app now where you can enter your information into the app and it will give you a digital vaccination card to show as proof.

We've gone on holiday by mistake
Anti Vaxxers almost always fail to ask the single most important question, which is "am I qualified to talk about or understand vaccinology".

I got vaccinated and i don't wear masks anymore unless asked to because it's very annoying.
But not as annoying surely as contracting breakthrough COVID?

But also, one response to the announcement reads, "Why are you scaring the children? No one dies of COVID."
Which is more terrifying? Breakthrough COVID or dumb-as-rocks people like this?

Ghouls, vampires, werewolves... let's party.
I think it's the same thing here, (proof of one shot).

There's even an app now where you can enter your information into the app and it will give you a digital vaccination card to show as proof.
Is this app run by the CDC? You can get 5 years in prison for having a counterfeit vaccination card.

"Why are you scaring the children? No one dies of COVID."
I'll be sure to pass that message on to my friend whose cousin died of COVID earlier this year.

In completely unsurprising news, a coworker's unvaccinated father has been hospitalized with COVID. Also not surprising is that this same coworker is also still refusing to get the vaccine. I have another coworker who still refuses to get it because "needles give her anxiety," nevermind the fact that she has a navel piercing, gauged earlobes, at least 3 tattoos, and she used to have a tongue piercing as well. Most infuriating of all is that my boss is also still unvaccinated and only masks sometimes. I work at a veterinary clinic. We vaccinate multiple animals for all sorts of diseases every single day. He's also the only veterinarian there, so if he gets sick, the whole business will have to close down and we're all going to be SOL until he recovers.

I'll be sure to pass that message on to my friend whose cousin died of COVID earlier this year.
Yes, it's totally infuriating. I know many people who lost family (especially parents and grandparents) over the last year and a half.

My brother-in-law went back to work this week and was uncomfortable with how close everyone was sitting at their staff meetings. They just got an e-mail that one of the staff members has COVID.

Is this app run by the CDC? You can get 5 years in prison for having a counterfeit vaccination card.

It's an official app from the New York State website. It's called an Excelsior Pass, and it can be downloaded from the Google app store.

https://epass.ny.gov/home

Duplicate Account (locked)
But not as annoying surely as contracting breakthrough COVID?

If you are scared of that then wearing a mask will certainly help you feel better. However, for me masks overall have been a pretty tremendous source of anxiety: you step out of the car, "oh ****! i forgot my mask!", i feel so much better just not caring and keeping the mask around for when someone asks me to wear it.

I prefer not to worry about the future, and i also think that it's totally okay for people to accept some sort of risk they are taking by either doing or not doing something. I understand that there are a lot of people who think that not doing everything possible to prevent themselves from getting the virus or spreading it is an egregous moral wrong, but i am not one of those people.

In completely unsurprising news, a coworker's unvaccinated father has been hospitalized with COVID. Also not surprising is that this same coworker is also still refusing to get the vaccine. I have another coworker who still refuses to get it because "needles give her anxiety," nevermind the fact that she has a navel piercing, gauged earlobes, at least 3 tattoos, and she used to have a tongue piercing as well. Most infuriating of all is that my boss is also still unvaccinated and only masks sometimes. I work at a veterinary clinic. We vaccinate multiple animals for all sorts of diseases every single day. He's also the only veterinarian there, so if he gets sick, the whole business will have to close down and we're all going to be SOL until he recovers.
Unbelievable.

Yes, it's totally infuriating. I know many people who lost family (especially parents and grandparents) over the last year and a half.

My brother-in-law went back to work this week and was uncomfortable with how close everyone was sitting at their staff meetings. They just got an e-mail that one of the staff members has COVID.
Unbelievable.

If you are scared of that then wearing a mask will certainly help you feel better. However, for me masks overall have been a pretty tremendous source of anxiety: you step out of the car, "oh ****! i forgot my mask!", i feel so much better just not caring and keeping the mask around for when someone asks me to wear it.

I prefer not to worry about the future, and i also think that it's totally okay for people to accept some sort of risk they are taking by either doing or not doing something. I understand that there are a lot of people who think that not doing everything possible to prevent themselves from getting the virus or spreading it is an egregous moral wrong, but i am not one of those people.
I am gonna barf if I have to read one more sanctimonious anti-vaxxer.

Anti Vaxxers almost always fail to ask the single most important question, which is "am I qualified to talk about or understand vaccinology".
It’s a bizarrely emotive issue to some people. Someone in my family went off on a tangent (not that I was asking for it) about how the COVID-19 vaccines “change DNA”.

Now, I might agree that it would have been great if we had a bit more time for research, but it so bloody obviously wasn’t possible… My grandfather was a rather famous evolutionary biologist and tried to impart his wisdom to me all his life. But I don’t consider myself qualified.

Anyway, I asked the person cautiously how exactly they think vaccines can “change DNA”.. a shouting match ensued.

Never again.

Duplicate Account (locked)
I am gonna barf if I have to read one more sanctimonious anti-vaxxer.

I ain't no anti-vaxxer, like i said before i have been vaccinated, if that's what you are implying. The anti-vax thing is based mostly on lies, even though i %100 support people's decision not to get vaccinated because i support people doing what they want with their bodies, and yes vaccines can have harmful side effects.Being supportive of people making their own choices is not sanctimonious.

I think the sanctimony may be the part about not being concerned about and even refusing to mitigate the spread for the safety of others.

What are your thoughts on mitigating spread, avoiding future mutations and herd immunity?
There's still an open floor on this question, and any of the libertarian "do what thou wilt" types need to address before patting themselves on the back for being so courteous to others.

It was quite funny when the Fauci emails were released. ("What was that?" you ask? Oh, nothing, the story fizzled in about four days because it was pure fume.) Some tried to claim that Fauci had lied about the efficacy of masks, when he actually just reinforced the proper efficacy of masks. As was formally explained at the time, but went way over the heads of people like Rand Paul and Scott Atlas, is that masks are somewhat helpful at protecting their wearer - about 50-60% more protection than not wearing a mask - so better than nothing. Where masks are most effective is in preventing the wearer's droplets from entering into the air in the first place, so you're supposed to wear a mask to protect others due to the invisible nature of asymptomatic spread - those with no or mild symptoms or those in the contagious window (7-10 days) before symptoms appear. The altruistic aspect of mask-wearing is lost on a lot of these folks because, although they seem courteous in respecting the rights of others, they're actually more of a selfish objectivist and therefore the concept of a small sacfrice of convenience and comfort for the overall good of stopping the spread of a deadly pandemic is something that they find unfathomable.

Anyone who thinks the "anxiety" around wearing a mask is appropriately comparable to the anxiety of losing a loved one to covid or having to suffer the vascular and neurological effects of long-covid has pretty much automatically recused themselves from being respectful members of society.

Just sold my vending machines that are in a medical building. I told the guy buying them that they're a little slow right now with the delta variant. He said, "what's the delta variant?"

"How tall is King Kong ?"
Just sold my vending machines that are in a medical building. I told the guy buying them that they're a little slow right now with the delta variant. He said, "what's the delta variant?"
I also hate coaching new TVA recruits.