Watching Movies Alone with crumbsroom

Tools    

Also, if anyone can possibly find a link to the rare experimental film The Experiencer (1977), or has any way to track it down, you'll be my hero.
I'm usually really good at finding free links to movies, but sadly, I couldn't find it anywhere. Sorry, man

I couldn't even find the film or the director on IMDb, in fact. There were a few people there named Michael Kohler, but none of them seemed to match who you're looking for.

You must have already seen The Last Shark (Great White) which happens to feature Vic Morrow involved in a deadly helicopter accident. Weird, huh?

I have not!

Shark with Burt Reynolds was my saturation point for underwater menace horror films. But it seems Assonitis will bring me back to this shallowest of pools.

Billie Eilish? She's ok. Not to hype her new album, but I like her Radiohead influence.

Isn't it weird how she got called out a few weeks back because video of her lipping along with a Tyler The Creator song about drugging women until they look Chinese made the woke-alert rounds because omg she almost said 'chink'? I think she was 13 at the time? You know what I didn't see? I didn't see one person come out and say that maybe Tyler The Creator is kind of a bastard for doing a song about slipping drugs in drinks to make women look like chinks. That song apparently came out in 2011. We too stupid to remember that far back? But then Tyler The Creator, literally a week after Eilish's controversy, came out with a new #1 song? And nobody said nothing? Is this like a Gangster Disciple thing where we're not supposed to act like we know? Did Eilish not pay her protection check this month? Should this post be in the Conspiracy Theory thread? I'm as confused as you.

I remember when I stumbled upon one of Eilish's first tracks on YouTube and really hyping it to everyone I knew, until I realized it was just me and ten million teenage girls talking about her, and realizing it was probably not a great look for me to keep drunkenly ranting in bars about how she was the future of pop music. At least now with her huge success, me drunkenly talking about her just makes me annoying and not the town creep.

We're you a fan of anything before?. Was wondering if she's progressed at all, since I was kind of feeling she was probably going to start offering diminishing returns.

As for the recent controversy, yes, it was idiotic, and no, I don't understand how Tyler the Creator has skirted similar controversies. I personally think it probably has to do with the nature of calling people out, and what the real function it has now morphed into. There is nothing news worthy of taking Tyler to task for his past, because he was a deliberate troll. Eilish, on the other hand, is a person you have a chance of effectively smearing, even if the story was complete garbage. As I'm sure you agree, we're well past the point that these stories can even be considered particularly constructive anymore. If anything, they are burying those which are worthy of addressing beneath the last few years of Where's Waldoing outrage.

FTR I am a somewhat fan of Tyler the Creator, even though some of the content of his earlier work is legitimately appalling.

I'm usually really good at finding free links to movies, but sadly, I couldn't find it anywhere. Sorry, man

I couldn't even find the film or the director on IMDb, in fact. There were a few people there named Michael Kohler, but none of them seemed to match who you're looking for.

I saw someone reference it on a movie group a passively look at, and they claimed to have a link to it, but I wasn't going to accept one from a complete stranger. But my curiosity was peaked from a handful of still they posted from it, and the apparent complete vanishing act that happened to it once it was aired once on television. I doubted anyone could find it, but I had to try.

I saw someone reference it on a movie group a passively look at, and they claimed to have a link to it, but I wasn't going to accept one from a complete stranger. But my curiosity was peaked from a handful of still they posted from it, and the apparent complete vanishing act that happened to it once it was aired once on television. I doubted anyone could find it, but I had to try.
If I stumble across it sometime later, I'll let you know. It doesn't look like there's much info about the film on the internet though, so it's not going to be easy to track it down.

I assume Tyler the Creator gets a pass for his rock solid fits.

*doesn't listen to Tyler the Creator*

Ovidio Assonitis (director of Beyond the Door, producer of The Visitor) strikes again. Probably one of the best purveyor of cheap knock offs, the weirdness in these movies is so visceral, the dude needs some kind of retrospective. His films probably don't really qualify as so bad they are good, and they are definitely not good on face value, so they are probably a hard sell to most. But for films that in many ways don't have an original bone in their body, they are some how unique and engaging, and have the same confounding and oblique narrative strategy so gainfully employed by guys like Fulci (who approaches story as something one recites between epileptic fits) .

Clearly I need to get around to his cheap knock off of Jaws (Tentacles) because I need to see what he can do with Henry Fonda in the eight loving arms of a rabid octopus (my hope is it will be more of a knock off of On Golden Pond, where the octopus has issues of parental neglect, and only wants Henry to teach it how to properly execute a dive...or else)
Wasn't a fan of this one.*The fact that it was trying to pretend to be a generic American horror meant that a lot of the late developments went down awkwardly.*

Madhouse is dope and Tentacles is baby snatching fun. I need to watch my copy of Beyond the Door.

Madhouse is dope and Tentacles is baby snatching fun. I need to watch my copy of Beyond the Door.

I imagine most people on Earth hate Beyond the Door. And on the level of it looking and smelling like some lazy, garbage cash in, I can't help but get it. But I think it is brimming with some legitimately good scenes, and the stodgy and terrible moments surrounding the set pieces, are at least frequently bafflingly weird. I was in love with it when I watched it for the first time at the beginning of the pandemic. I was, of course, loaded up on lethal amounts of THC oil though, which may explain things.

When I realized Madhouse was directed by the same person, it made a lot of sense.

The trick is not minding
Is this the same Beyond the Door that Shock was renamed Beyond the Door II as a sequel in the US despite having no relation to it?

Is this the same Beyond the Door that Shock was renamed Beyond the Door II as a sequel in the US despite having no relation to it?
The one and the same!

Crummy, you suspect I’ll dig it?

The one and the same!

Crummy, you suspect I’ll dig it?

If you like Madhouse, possibly, since I think it is better than Madhouse. But it is also cheaper and more redundant than that. And likely even stupider. But it's not one I'm a fan of recommending to humans. I'm pretty sure back in RT days, anyone who had seen it, considered it completely worthless. And while I think they are fundamentally wrong, it's hard to argue with them. I get the hate. Even though they are incorrect and should do better.

If you like Madhouse, possibly, since I think it is better than Madhouse. But it is also cheaper and more redundant than that. And likely even stupider. But it's not one I'm a fan of recommending to humans. I'm pretty sure back in RT days, anyone who had seen it, considered it completely worthless. And while I think they are fundamentally wrong, it's hard to argue with them. I get the hate. Even though they are incorrect and should do better.
Crummy, at this point, I’m offended you’d accuse me of such a thing.

Being a human?

It's a good thing to unshackle oneself from.
I gave both THINGS and DEATH NURSE 2 perfect scores on Letterboxd.

I gave both THINGS and DEATH NURSE 2 perfect scores on Letterboxd.

Even though it speaks to some kind of brain damage to give Things a perfect score, Things is such an alternate universe that if you accept what is happening, how can you not give it a perfect score?

Beyond the Door is very much of this earth. It has many corporal limitations. You can almost see the movie it wants to be, and it makes you want to hate it. So it isn't as easy to impress on the garbage meter.

Personally, I would put Things significantly above it, as that is this wonderful artifact that feels like you found it between some couch cushions while reaching for the remote. Beyond the Door, on the otherhand, is an artifact in the way an old candy wrapper is. Sure, you can also find one of these between couch cushions, but your instincts are probably to immediately throw it out. Even though it might be the rarest of candy wrappers and possibly worth many many quantities of nickels and should be treated with as much respect.

Hopefully you can find the respect that Beyond the Door deserves though. Just don't give it a perfect score (like I probably did). You have to retain some kind of credibility in this world.