Directors who made only one five-star movie

Tools    

M. Night Shyamalan - The Sixth Sense
Christopher Nolan - Memento
Frank Darabont - The Shawshank Redemption
I would agree with Darabont and Shawshank, but don't consider The Sixth Sense a five star movie, have never seen Memento, but if Had to name a five star movie for Nolan, it would be The Dark Knight

I would agree that American Beauty is Sam Mendes' only 5-star movie, but I don't think Forrest Gump or Boyhood are five star movies...the closest thing Zemeckis has done to a 5 star movie is Who Framed Roger Rabbit and I can't think of anything Linklater has done that's close to five stars. JMO.

We are neglecting BTTF, I see.

I would agree with Darabont and Shawshank, but don't consider The Sixth Sense a five star movie, have never seen Memento, but if Had to name a five star movie for Nolan, it would be The Dark Knight
On second thought, maybe The Sixth Sense is more akin to 4.5 stars, but I still think it's an emotionally powerful film. It's an excellent example of how to use plot twists. I like The Dark Knight a lot, but Memento is my favorite of his films. I think it's the strongest utilization of his talents.

Movie Forums Squirrel Jumper
Brett Ratner

Movie Forums Squirrel Jumper
Errrrr, he had a five star movie???
I thought Red Dragon was really good.

The trick is not minding
Yeah, and I'm surprised by it. Just as anyone can be baffled towards any ranking of five stars I give (as they should be)
Heh. Yeah, I’ve seen some of your reviews 😏
In all seriousness, I sort of overreacted to your post, and offer up my spleen in an ashtray as penance.

Which is a weird way to apologize for unnecessarily calling you out.

Heh. Yeah, I’ve seen some of your reviews 😏.

Exactly.

My opinions are mostly garbage and I'm totally fine with having people call them that.

That's the fun of having opinions. Having people call them junk. Because they probably are, and it doesn't matter.

The trick is not minding
Exactly.

My opinions are mostly garbage and I'm totally fine with having people call them that.

That's the fun of having opinions. Having people call them junk. Because they probably are, and it doesn't matter.
Eh, I usually don’t like calling out people for what they like, although I may question it, I also avoid outright calling them junk. Who am I to tuck on someone’s yum, after all?
I wouldn’t mock you for liking, say City of the Living Dead.
Although it is worth being mocked 😏

Victim of The Night
Ya know, it's not really fair for poor Tobe. Aside from the fact that he burned out, he made arguably the greatest art-house horror movie of all time on his first at bat.
I think the guy had really talent, the aesthetic in The Funhouse is so great to me that I've come to love the film regardless of what it isn't because the feel of it is just so good to me.
And really, while none of his other films are all that good, they all have something about them that's a little special. He had talent. It's a shame he could never quite get that applied to better material.
But man, TCM is just amazing.