Bollywood movies

Tools    

Bollywood movies are very interesting, everyone should watch it at least once.

Movie Forums Squirrel Jumper
Since when do audiences care about different cultural codes, since other foreign films with different codes are released in the U.S. You can get lots of Korean movies in the US for example, but not near as many Bollywood ones it seems, compared to Korean. Why is that?

I wouldn't count Slumdog Millionaire as Bollywood though, since it's a British produced movie set in India.

Due to my extensive stay in the country, I have watched quite a few and often search for new ones on google. See the reviews as 3.5 or 4 stars online, watch it and go, meh, deserved 2 stars at most! But to be honest, the movies are limited in scope and variety. I don't recall any movies that I have seen in the past 5 years that I have seen would make me go.... "Wow... what the F did i just see!" Most of the movies that I see are so not natural and unrealistic. I saw a movie called A Wednesday long time ago... that is the last good one i have seen. It was also made in English with Ben Kingsley.

But the problem with Indian movies are there are so many languages, its hard to know what is out there. I quite enjoy Bengali language movies from time to time, seems they still do make some meaningful movies.

You can get lots of Korean movies in the US for example, but not near as many Bollywood ones it seems, compared to Korean. Why is that?

Is that so? Where I live, its all Indian movies all the time (Dallas). There is an East Asian movie theater about 20 miles away, I went there once, sat in an empty hall with a few other couples mostly interested in making out. To be fair the movie was not that good.

But if I want to watch an Indian movie there is a theater about 5 mins walk from my home or just go to the nearest AMC or Cinemax. Lots of options!

Due to my extensive stay in the country, I have watched quite a few and often search for new ones on google. See the reviews as 3.5 or 4 stars online, watch it and go, meh, deserved 2 stars at most! But to be honest, the movies are limited in scope and variety. I don't recall any movies that I have seen in the past 5 years that I have seen would make me go.... "Wow... what the F did i just see!" Most of the movies that I see are so not natural and unrealistic. I saw a movie called A Wednesday long time ago... that is the last good one i have seen. It was also made in English with Ben Kingsley.

But the problem with Indian movies are there are so many languages, its hard to know what is out there. I quite enjoy Bengali language movies from time to time, seems they still do make some meaningful movies.
Screenarchy has a guy that covers Indian movies. Some guidance.

https://screenanarchy.com/globalvoices/j-hurtado/

Personally I think the regional cinema industries make better movies than Bollywood.

So what is the regional cinema? In India multiple languages (and many more dialects) are spoken, and most of these languages have their own film industries.

Just to give you an example:

I come from Mumbai, which belongs to the state of Maharashtra and our language is Marathi and Marathi cinema is better than Bollywood.(Bollywood funnily is based in Mumbai as well)

There are other industries and movies. Like Bengali movies that come from West Bengal. Most of Satyajit Ray's films were Bengali movies.

Of course, once in a while Bollywood does produce gems. But overall it doesn't take as many risks as regional cinemas. It's reach is wider because the films are in Hindi language which is spoken by most of the country.

Personally I think the regional cinema industries make better movies than Bollywood.

So what is the regional cinema? In India multiple languages (and many more dialects) are spoken, and most of these languages have their own film industries.

Just to give you an example:

I come from Mumbai, which belongs to the state of Maharashtra and our language is Marathi and Marathi cinema is better than Bollywood.(Bollywood funnily is based in Mumbai as well)

There are other industries and movies. Like Bengali movies that come from West Bengal. Most of Satyajit Ray's films were Bengali movies.

Of course, once in a while Bollywood does produce gems. But overall it doesn't take as many risks as regional cinemas. It's reach is wider because the films are in Hindi language which is spoken by most of the country.
Isn't masinstream Tamil and Telugu cinema the same crazy Bollywood stuff just more crazy. I enjoy it by the way in moderation.

Isn't masinstream Tamil and Telugu cinema the same crazy Bollywood stuff just more crazy. I enjoy it by the way in moderation.
Yeah. They do have a whole host of movies where larger than life heroes defy logic and all of Newton's laws of motions while defeating enemies. And it's largely fueled by crazy fan worship who make these daft movies blockbusters.

However, further south in Kerala the Malayalam language movies are usually brilliant. I have seen few wonderful Malayalam movies with sensitive topics and which are handled with nuances.

I love watching Bollywood movies and I have watched a lot of movies like Commando 2, Badlapur, Nh10, Phobia, Besharam, Anjaana Anjaani, etc. I think you should also watch these movies.
I assume they have to set their brainwaves to the Bollywood frequency first?

I have watched some of them. They are good to poor, nothing that would make me go ga-ga over the industry. Commando was just meaningless drivel. And i looked for Besharam on IMBD, with a rating of 3.6, i wouldn't be in a hurry to watch it. NH10 was good, but would have liked it if the gore was a bit amp-ed up.