Breathtaking Cinematography

Tools    

I can't think of any others off the top of my head but I have to agree with Amelie

Pirates of The Carribean

Originally Posted by Sedai

I just saw [the Solaris re-make] recently and have rewatched again. I absolutely love this film!
Me too. It got really slammed by all kinds of people when it came out, but it's a great film that will hopefully find the proper appreciation over time. If Soderbergh weren't such a gifted and total filmmaker, he'd be in uber-high demand for his cinematography skills alone. I hope he has the time to lens more and more of his own stuff.
"Film is a disease. When it infects your bloodstream it takes over as the number one hormone. It bosses the enzymes, directs the pineal gland, plays Iago to your psyche. As with heroin, the antidote to Film is more Film." - Frank Capra

A system of cells interlinked
Originally Posted by Holden Pike
Me too. It got really slammed by all kinds of people when it came out, but it's a great film that will hopefully find the proper appreciation over time. If Soderbergh weren't such a gifted and total filmmaker, he'd be in uber-high demand for his cinematography skills alone. I hope he has the time to lens more and more of his own stuff.
Just amazing stuff, I think I'll watch it again tonight

And yes, this is the re-make of Solaris here folks, I forgot to mention that in my initial post. I can't wait to check out the original, I hear it's even more hypnotic.

And yes, this is the re-make of Solaris here folks, I forgot to mention that in my initial post. I can't wait to check out the original, I hear it's even more hypnotic.
As much as I love Soderbergh's version, Andrei Tarkovsky's 1972 Russian original is even better.

Has Holden Pike seen every film ever made?

I am having a nervous breakdance
No he hasn't seen Repmĺnad

--------

They had temporarily escaped the factories, the warehouses, the slaughterhouses, the car washes - they'd be back in captivity the next day but
now they were out - they were wild with freedom. They weren't thinking about the slavery of poverty. Or the slavery of welfare and food stamps. The rest of us would be all right until the poor learned how to make atom bombs in their basements.

A system of cells interlinked
Originally Posted by poeman
Has Holden Pike seen every film ever made?
Well, I thought I had some film knowledge until I signed on to MoFo, and Holden showed me different

-S

Ask Jeeves? I don't think so. Just ask Holden, but wear your spurs

Nope, not every. Let's just say "many".
Well, I thought I had some film knowledge until I signed on to MoFo, and Holden showed me different

-S

Ask Jeeves? I don't think so. Just ask Holden, but wear your spurs
Yeah I would be very interested to hear what movies he would recommend.

I've seen about a thousand films. But that amature compared to some people I know.

But I just study films when I can. Give me some recommendations sometime Holden Pike.

I hope he has the time to lens more and more of his own stuff.
Interestingly, Soderbergh has recently said [somewhere or other] that it would feel wrong or "unnatural" for him to hire a cinematographer now that he's photographed so many of his own films.

That's good news as far as I'm concerned because, like yourself, I happen to love the look of most everything the man has shot.

I'm just a newbie to movies -- but for me it's Lord of the Rings -- the way the camera rotates around to show the entire scenery -- and the scene where the riders race through the mumakils...

then again maybe it's because I'm a fan of the genre.

This might just do nobody any good.
I thought about starting a “One Perfect Shot” type thread but so as to not be derivative, I’ll post this here (seems like the right place).

I just finished The American Friend and although I’ll need at least another viewing to get some thoughts straight, the cinematography kept taking m breath away (Muller, after all).

"Honor is not in the Weapon. It is in the Man"
I love seeing aerial shots of cities in films.

(This is actual footage from the film mixed with the theme song of the film)

The film that got me hooked on that visual is Amsterdamned, the 1988 Dutch horror/action film that had stunning aerial shots of Amsterdam. DOP Marc Felperlaan actually went on a helicopter and shot the city himself. They even opened with a great look at the killer's POV to open the film from going underwater to rising above water in various shots.

Recently, Shane Hurlbut (who was the one who got the infamous heat from Christian Bale on the set of Terminator Salvation), used drone technology to show aerial shots of the likes of Prague and Paris for Stephen Fung's 2017 action heist film The Adventurers.

Brazil

The Fifth Element

Lawrence of Arabia

and, the best for last,

The Fall

Sorry if I'm rude but I'm right
Heroic Purgatory has one of the best cinematographies in all cinema. Pure geometrical clusterf*ck! Every frame is breathtaking.

Screens:

The beginning of the movie:
Look, I'm not judging you - after all, I'm posting here myself, but maybe, just maybe, if you spent less time here and more time watching films, maybe, and I stress, maybe your taste would be of some value. Just a thought, ya know.