Is 'Titanic' a chick flick?

Tools    

Save the Texas Prairie Chicken
I am really not a fan of the film at all. I found that I was bored with a lot of it. And I think a lot of that had to do with the romance between Jack and Rose. I really didn't care for it at all. I am not against fictional characters being set during something historical. That doesn't bother me at all. I like many stories like that. I just didn't care for theirs.

Is it a chick flick? Hardly. I never even thought of it that way. In fact, the only reason I saw it was because my brother liked it so much that he wanted me to see it, and I ended up having the opposite opinion from him after I'd seen it.

I much preferred the historical parts of the story over the romance.

Movie Forums Squirrel Jumper
Well I thought something like a power ballad like Total Eclipse of the Heart, but original for the movie lol.

You can't win an argument just by being right!
First movie I took my wife to see before she was my wife. I liked it and she friggin hated it.
LMAO. But she still married you. That's adorable. If Mr D's first movie date was a dud I would have turfed him.

Some interesting items on YouTube:

First, a comparison between A Night To Remember and Titanic (not rankin one as "better" than the other, but comparing the two and showing how much of Cameron's film was inspired by the former):

For @SilentVamp - here someone took Titanic and cut out most of the Jack and Rose story, resulting in an hour-long movie just dealing with the disaster:

Finally, for anyone who's never seen it, the full A Night To Remember (1958):

Is My Little Pony the Movie a chick flick?

There is no such thing as "a chick flick", there are only "people's flicks".
Hang on a second, are you saying there is no such thing as target demographic? 'Chick flic' is widely used to indicate a particular genre.

I never said otherwise but to claim it doesnt exist is incorrect.

OK fair enough. I dont like it either, but I cant deny it's in use, and I even use it myself.

Its basically a pretty mainstream romance movie crossed with a pretty mainstream disaster movie, capturing both markets is probably why it was such a massive success.

Well let's take a look at what constitutes a "chick flick"

Chick flick is a slang term for the film genre dealing mainly with love and romance which is targeted to a female audience.[1][2] It can be specifically defined as a genre in which a woman is the protagonist. Although many types of films may be directed toward the female gender, "chick flick" is typically used only in reference to films that contain emotion or themes that are relationship-based (although not necessarily romantic as films may focus on parent-child or friend relationships).
So...the way I see it is can we make the argument that Titanic fits the selected criteria.

Question 1: Whose Story is it?

Jack....well we see Jack fall in love with Rose but what else do we know about Jack. He's an interesting character but we really only scratch the surface. We know the things he likes to do but we don't really get to see into Jack's mind. You could make the argument that Jack is a plot contrivance for Rose to discover a different sort of life.

Rose...on the other hand we are introduced to her family, her predicament and her emotional state. Rose is the person who has a character ark she goes from being suicidal to wanting to live without a man like Billy Zane in her life. We're also given an entire picture of Rose's life.

Symbolism think of three of the key elements the film focuses on and what they symbolize.

"Picture" - The movie begins with the discovery of the Titanic but also of a picture of Rose. What is another term for film...movie pictures and how does the movie start with a picture of Rose.

"Heart" - What is a secondary driving plot point of the film...

There is a major plot point and theme running through the film about Rose's heart, it's both literal and metophorical.

And finally "Rose", the character's name is a symbol for love, romance, and beauty. Jack the character's name is a symbol for work, a Jack is a tool for Rose to become love.

So yes Titanic is clearly a chick flick.

To-tal chick flick. Not that that's a bad thing. I really like it and I do understand I see 'chick flicks' a little differently to some.

I'm not old, you're just 12.
You know, I wouldn't call it a chick flick, but then I'm a guy and I love the movie. People definitely think it's an odd choice for me, but I love the history and the gripping drama and yes, the romance of the film. And Kate Winslet is gorgeous, too. LOL.

https://shawnsmovienight.blogspot.com/

hosted by an Average Moviegoer and a Movie Guru
If you want a Titanic film that is more historically accurate, gut wrenchingly gripping, thrilling and emotional (without the chick flick elements that make James Cameron's 1997 Titanic simply a famous setting for a fictional love triangle) watch the single BEST movie that's actually about the ill-fated ship, its passengers and crew: A Night To Remember (1958).
I've been meaning to watch this movie... I actually am a big Titanic buff, but for whatever reason the age of the movie and the black and white have stopped me from watching it... - Charlie, your Average Moviegoer

The term chick flick suggests that it’s somehow demasculating to enjoy romantic elements in film. I enjoyed the romantic elements of the film as well as the historic elements (correct and incorrect). I’ve actually had a long standing crush on Kate W due to that movie. All of that said, I liked the making of documentary better than the film itself. Amazing craftsman were employed on the project.

I've been meaning to watch this movie... I actually am a big Titanic buff, but for whatever reason the age of the movie and the black and white have stopped me from watching it... - Charlie, your Average Moviegoer
Don't let it stop you. I think the black & white somehow helps the movie.

As the comparison video I posted states; Titanic is really a remake of ANTR (but in color and with modern effects, and - my words - a completely unnecessary and gratuitous, time-wasting, love triangle).

Of course, the older movie's special effects aren't the CGI of Cameron's movie, but I feel the intensity is far more gripping in the earlier film because it's not focused on some made-up, chick-flick love story with Billy Zane chasing his girlfriend and Leo all over the ship with a gun! (Geez!)

I also feel the earlier film has a much more serious tone (it's not laced with ballads & love songs). IMO, it seemed to have been made for a more serious and intelligent viewer (hey, it is a British production after all) as opposed to be designed to appeal to a mass demographic of American audiences requiring obligatory nude sex scenes and computer effects. As said, it uses its run time to focus on the subject matter, the history, the controversial details about other ships in the area, etc., rather than fictitious romance stories and thus it has a wider impact in regards to the overall lives lost and survivors of the disaster.