Rate The Last Movie You Saw

Tools    

You can't win an argument just by being right!
Will you let your kid see this at an early age?
Well our dogs watch it with us if that counts.

I'm not saying it's a family movie, by the way. I'm saying it's a super box of popcorn in my entertainment rating.

Blue Caprice (Moore, 2013)

I remember being eight years old and hearing about the D.C. sniper attacks on the radio. I didn't live anywhere near the area, but still my family talked about it like it was a local event. Everybody thought that it could happen to them. More often than not, that is the aim of terrorism. The relatively few lives that are claimed are intended to cause widespread panic. Blue Caprice examines the circumstances which birth these militaristic acts, the dangers of authority, as well as the one way mirror with which terrorism is often viewed.

Alexandre Moore's approach to biographic cinema is unconventional. By mostly avoiding the heinous acts which dominated headlines, he detracts from the intentions of the killers behind them. He successfully demystifies the would be bogeymen instead of feeding into their aura. While more traditional story telling might satisfy an audience to a greater degree, I think Moore's aims are more appropriate for material of this nature.

In the process of humanizing (declawing) the figures who carried out the attacks, Moore sets his sights on an antagonist that remains relevant in driving terrorism to this day: war. The events of the film play out in the periphery of a nation in the midst of a misguided war sparked by the greatest act of terror in its history. Moore forces the audience to challenge the cognitive dissonance which allows them to support a system which molds young men into weapons while simultaneously finding the actions onscreen repellent.

While Moore crafts an interesting film in theory, in practice the rules which it breaks hurt its appeal. That might say more about the way movies have shaped our expectations than about the quality of Blue Caprice, but it still rings true. Hitchcock's notorious comments on "surprise" versus "suspense" regarding the situation with a bomb under the table apply well here. Moore opted out of the dichotomy and instead documents how the bomb was made.

Addendum: My biggest gripe regarding the accuracy of the story being told are that Moore omits the role sexual abuse played in their relationship. While avoiding overly graphic violence serves a commendable purpose, leaving out the predatory nature of the mentor does nothing but minimize his actions.

This might just do nobody any good.

So for starters, this is not a horror movie and if the trailers sold you on a the concept of a family fending off monster from the woods... you may want to rethink this a bit.

The best possible way of describing this may be "arthouse 10 Cloverfield Lane" but even then the film never looses its grip on genre conventions for the sake of "preaching". It's thoroughly engaging and tense as one could hope for. A lot of the film derives its atmosphere from a stellar sound design and even from the audience's own judgement of its characters and their actions. It's an inviting film that also wants to keep you guessing at all times.

The result: a kind of generational nightmare/historical distillation as seen through the eyes of the youngest. This should be apparent to anyone watching, or at least I should hope so. Films like this are always relevant but in the heightened world of indecision, insecurity and anxiety that we live in now, the story gains potency. There's urgency to be derived from the film's current context and message as well, though it invites cynicism in the form of an unanswered question near the end:

WARNING: spoilers below
Was the youngest boy really infected? Was the youngest generation doomed by the disease or by the previous one?

Fantastic all around. Acting is superb, specially Joel Edgerton and Christopher Abbott, both whom I've had my eye on for some time and am excited to see flourish in such ways.

Now I'll check out the director's previous film, Krisha, which I've been told is even better.

8.5/10

The Take(2016)

So for starters, this is not a horror movie and if the trailers sold you on a the concept of a family fending off monster from the woods... you may want to rethink this a bit.

The best possible way of describing this may be "arthouse 10 Cloverfield Lane" but even then the film never looses its grip on genre conventions for the sake of "preaching". It's thoroughly engaging and tense as one could hope for. A lot of the film derives its atmosphere from a stellar sound design and even from the audience's own judgement of its characters and their actions. It's an inviting film that also wants to keep you guessing at all times.

The result: a kind of generational nightmare/historical distillation as seen through the eyes of the youngest. This should be apparent to anyone watching, or at least I should hope so. Films like this are always relevant but in the heightened world of indecision, insecurity and anxiety that we live in now, the story gains potency. There's urgency to be derived from the film's current context and message as well, though it invites cynicism in the form of an unanswered question near the end:

WARNING: spoilers below
Was the youngest boy really infected? Was the youngest generation doomed by the disease or by the previous one?

Fantastic all around. Acting is superb, specially Joel Edgerton and Christopher Abbott, both whom I've had my eye on for some time and am excited to see flourish in such ways.

Now I'll check out the director's previous film, Krisha, which I've been told is even better.

8.5/10
Sounds interesting, quite disappointed though, I thought this was going to be an awesome horror film.

28 days...6 hours...42 minutes...12 seconds
Sounds interesting, quite disappointed though, I thought this was going to be an awesome horror film.
It's from A24, here are some of their films: Under The Skin, Green Room, The Lobster, Swiss Army Man, Free Fire, The Witch... they seem to have a great list of films under their belt. It Comes At Night reminds me of The Witch, people expected one thing and got another.

Suspect's Reviews

Unregistered User
Creep (2014) - [rating3[/rating]
Hearts of Darkness (1991) -
+
Nerve (2016) -

Breaking Bad update. I'm now on Season 2, episode 9. Loved the Tuco storyline.

It's from A24, here are some of their films: Under The Skin, Green Room, The Lobster, Swiss Army Man, Fire Fire, The Witch... they seem to have a great list of films under their belt. It Comes At Night reminds me of The Witch, people expected one thing and got another.
The Lobster, Under The Skin and The Witch are three of my favourite films of the last few years so this is good

Green room and Swiss Army Man both overrated though imo

Can't find any film called Fire Fire

The Lobster, Under The Skin and The Witch are three of my favourite films of the last few years so this is good

Agreed. Not agreed on the other though.

And it's called Free Fire.

Black Angel (1946) - Solid lesser noir that not only allows Duryea to take centre stage as a more sympathetic character than usual but also tickle the ivories as well

This might just do nobody any good.
It's from A24, here are some of their films: Under The Skin, Green Room, The Lobster, Swiss Army Man, Fire Fire, The Witch... they seem to have a great list of films under their belt. It Comes At Night reminds me of The Witch, people expected one thing and got another.

Agreed on Green Room. Not sure why that one didn't work for me. It kind of fizzles out with out much else.

Swiss Army Man was too weird for me to dismiss and the ending somehow got to me.

It's the kind of person I am, I guess.

At this point seeing the A24 logo means I'll see it sometime in the next six months.

"Honor is not in the Weapon. It is in the Man"

Journey to the West: Conquering the Demons (A-): Hong Kong comedy king, Stephen Chow, co-wrote, co-produced, and directed this loose comic adaptation of the classic Chinese novel. The film revolves around future monk Tripitika, who is demon hunter Chen Xuanzang, whose methods of hunting demons are quite ineffective as opposed to Shu Qi's forceful Miss Duan. The duo must release the imprisoned Monkey King when they need help stopping the Pig Demon, but who will control the Monkey King once that job is done? Fun visual effects, Chow-style humor, with a few small scares (including the Monkey King in demon form). A sequel was released earlier this year with Chow as just writer and producer with Tsui Hark at the helm.

The sky crawler (2008)

Though it has oshii and sort of his delightful mis en scene, it fail -properly- to deliver or at least engage me for it so and so promising premise, where the (forever young) characters trapped paradoxically by the nature of war. The like there one crucial moment of hint , questionin, for subtle revelation that's feel so weakly emphasized by one particular character whom herself need been sophisticated more.

Rarely want to talk the animation, but unfortunately for this one. It has cool but so repetitive dogfight that just feel flat like ps2 cutscenes, and not the mention the chara design was so naruto-ism(the amount of naruto staff probably high on this one) which's oshii kinda, not deserved it, so weakly animated in comparison of his best

The ending quiet nailed it, but I don't see the necessity to put it as post credit.

[
WARNING: "atrocious" spoilers below
IMG]http://www.filmus.pl/images/plakaty/27527/duze.jpg[/IMG]

God have mercy. It has been a long time since I wanted to escape from theatre. This sunday I felt like then.
YUK, THAT PHOTOSHOPPED POSTER!! GEEEEZ...