2000s
8.70%
4 votes
2010s
15.22%
7 votes
Something else (specify in thread)
46 votes. You may not vote on this poll

Tagged where? IMDb has a Film-Noir genre but it only seems to use that for the old films. None of the Neo-Noirs I checked had that tag.
I just checked The Man Who Wasn't There (2001) and it does not say 'Noir' at the top of the page only 'Crime' 'Drama'...
But if you scroll down the page some it says 'neo noir'.

I don't know what other films you checked maybe they aren't but crime dramas? Of course no method is 100%.

Of course no method is 100%.
Which is the problem with trying to corral them into eligibility.
"Film is a disease. When it infects your bloodstream it takes over as the number one hormone. It bosses the enzymes, directs the pineal gland, plays Iago to your psyche. As with heroin, the antidote to Film is more Film." - Frank Capra

I just checked The Man Who Wasn't There (2001) and it does not say 'Noir' at the top of the page only 'Crime' 'Drama'...
But if you scroll down the page some it says 'neo noir'.

I don't know what other films you checked maybe they aren't but crime dramas? Of course no method is 100%.
I checked at least To Live and Die in LA, Se7en and Angel Heart. None of those have a noir tag.

EDIT: Oh, you mean those tags. Aren't they just random stuff the users add. Many films have close to a hundred of them like Angel Heart has "father daughter sex" - maybe that's an idea for a countdown as well I was referring to the genres listed on IMDb.

I checked at least To Live and Die in LA, Se7en and Angel Heart. None of those have a noir tag.
You're correct, at IMDB there are no 'noir' tags for those three movies you mentioned.

But at Wikipedia all those movies are described as 'neo-noir'. I didn't look at Rotten Tomatoes or Movie.db

Any or all of those sites could be used as a definition to if a film is eligible as noir or not. Up to the host of course, I'm just speaking figuratively.

The trick is not minding
Also, tossing this out there, as I have mentioned before…..next year (2023) will be the 10th anniversary of the 90’s countdown, so it may be of some interest to look into redoing that much like the horror countdown had it’s 10th anniversary a few years back.
I’d say after the 2010-2019 countdown, of course.

I’d be interested to see how much has changed in 10 years time. And definitely after alternating with another genre, as we usually do

2022 Mofo Fantasy Football Champ
Also, tossing this out there, as I have mentioned before…..next year (2023) will be the 10th anniversary of the 90’s countdown, so it may be of some interest to look into redoing that much like the horror countdown had it’s 10th anniversary a few years back.

I’d be interested to see how much has changed in 10 years time. And definitely after alternating with another genre, as we usually do
As much as Sexy complained about the nineties countdown it's one of the better put together lists we've made.

The trick is not minding
As much as Sexy complained about the nineties countdown it's one of the better put together lists we've made.
It could definitely be better. I actually feel the current aughts is slightly better.

I never could get the hang of Thursdays.

If any list needs redoing, it's the comic book one.

I think there are a good few lists that haven't been done before that we should do before redoing ones we have.

The horror one was a bit different because iirc the first list wasn't an open participation one, it was a smaller group of members.

Yeah, probably Monday or Tuesday, depending on suggestions in here.

Definitely wanna give people the weekend to try to hash out exactly what the poll options should be.

OK, here's my hash

IMO:
Comedy countdown would have the highest participation. If the host goes with all movies eligible as comedies, then it could be a varied list with lots of surprises. Half the fun could be what movies make the list. Comedy movies haven't made that many of the other countdown list so there should be a lot of new inclusions.

Musical countdown would be less popular so would need to be all inclusive to get enough participation. So that would include all music films like: old classic musicals like Singin' in the Rain, animated films like Disney and films with music being performed like Walk the Line, The Wall and School of Rock, etc.

Noir countdown would allow people to explore stuff they haven't seen. I think most people dig a noir type movie. Using genre tags from IMDB and other movie sites would make this easy on the host. We could do some HoFs to back this up.

War countdown here's a ton of war related films and it's not all machine guns and bombs. Could be cool to do, we could do some HoFs for this too.

2022 Mofo Fantasy Football Champ
OK, here's my hash

IMO:
Comedy countdown would have the highest participation. If the host goes with all movies eligible as comedies, then it could be a varied list with lots of surprises. Half the fun could be what movies make the list. Comedy movies haven't made that many of the other countdown list so there should be a lot of new inclusions.

Musical countdown would be less popular so would need to be all inclusive to get enough participation. So that would include all music films like: old classic musicals like Singin' in the Rain, animated films like Disney and films with music being performed like Walk the Line, The Wall and School of Rock, etc.

Noir countdown would allow people to explore stuff they haven't seen. I think most people dig a noir type movie. Using genre tags from IMDB and other movie sites would make this easy on the host. We could do some HoFs to back this up.

War countdown here's a ton of war related films and it's not all machine guns and bombs. Could be cool to do, we could do some HoFs for this too.
Think you nailed it honestly. I hope people wouldn't be scared off of a musical one. It really needs to be done at some point.

I love how random the comedy HOF could end up. Noir will be pure fun.

War seems limited in a way but would be cool to expand my horizons and see more.

Either way, I'd assume all 4 could be done at some point in time. Hopefully we can keep this list thing going!

Society ennobler, last seen in Medici's Florence
Personally, I mostly prefer period related polls - decades, separate years, all time...
If revising decade countdowns are not in discussion, I'm fully to jump into 2010's.

If it is a must to be genre countdown then anything but Musicals. I think musicals will be a pain and will be filler considerably.
  • Comedy countdown
  • Noir countdown
  • War countdown

I'll be surely in for these three genres but looking forward to see how the chosen one is going to be defined!