Collateral

→ in
Tools    

Collateral is a great action/drama (i think most good movies are part drama). Stunning visuals, great soundtrack. Jamie Foxx is excellent as Max (definitely on the up in his career) alongside Tom Cruise who plays the role of Vincent perfectly imo. Amazing action scenes, and some excellent dialogue between Vincent and Max. I'd give the movie 8 1/2 out of 10. Go check it out, definitely worth it. (ahhh....no spoilers lol)
"And I realized that not only did I not want to answer that question, but I never wanted to answer another water sports question or see any of these people again for the rest of my life."--Anthony from Bottle Rocket

COLLATERAL is one of the best, if not the best, movie of the summer. The ice cold acting of tom cruise and the simple but effecient acting of Jamie Foxx makes for an amazing duo. THe background of LA is perfect and the soundtrack goes along with the movie smoothly. Overall, this movie is a definite 10 out of 10!

"ILL BE BACK"

Personally, I wouldn't call it a 10.
6.5 or 7 tops. I thought there could have been more action. I enjoyed the bits of humour placed in there though. There were also parts that didn't quite go over well with me.

WARNING: "collateral" spoilers below
Why couldn't anybody hear the commotion to the first murder? I mean from the time the body hit the car till they got him in the trunk quite some time had passed. No 911 calls, nothing. As a matter of fact, throughout the entire movie, the streets were unusually a little too quite don't you think?

Also, what happend to the other 3 punks after the first two stuck a gun in jamie fox's face? Why did they suddenly dissappear?
Why didn't tom cruise keep using his silencer? We know he had one. It would have kept the attention of the noise level down to a minimum.

Why did tom cruise go balistic in the club where there were so many witnesses. Did he go by some moral code of his as to finish the job no matter what? Why did he save jamie fox's life? A little mercy on his part perhaps? Did he actually start to like jamie fox? I don't think he needed him to drive the taxi so I ruled that out.

Originally Posted by Escape
WARNING: "COLLATERAL" spoilers below

Why did he save jamie fox's life? A little mercy on his part perhaps? Did he actually start to like jamie fox? I don't think he needed him to drive the taxi so I ruled that out.
Because as per his regular M.O., like the L.A. cop recognized from an earlier case he heard about in San Francisco, he needs the cabbie for the whole night, so he can kill him after the jobs are complete, make it look like a suicide, then pin all the murders on him. Would that plan really work on this particular job after the crowded club and meeting his mother? Probably not. But that's the "why" he kept him alive throughout the evening.
"Film is a disease. When it infects your bloodstream it takes over as the number one hormone. It bosses the enzymes, directs the pineal gland, plays Iago to your psyche. As with heroin, the antidote to Film is more Film." - Frank Capra

Originally Posted by Holden Pike
Because as per his regular M.O., like the L.A. cop recognized from an earlier case he heard about in San Francisco, he needs the cabbie for the whole night, so he can kill him after the jobs are complete, make it look like a suicide, then pin all the murders on him. Would that plan really work on this particular job after the crowded club and meeting his mother? Probably not. But that's the "why" he kept him alive throughout the evening.
Yeah, i understand that, but as you just said, why save him after all these eyewitnesses in the club?

By the way, what was your opinion of the movie in it's entirety?

HEy i think michael mann's like the best action/drama director out there. "MAN ON FIRE" was huge and so are all his other movies like "HEAT". I dont thnink u can find any real flaws in this movie though.

Originally Posted by showtime8
HEy i think michael mann's like the best action/drama director out there. "MAN ON FIRE" was huge and so are all his other movies like "HEAT". I dont thnink u can find any real flaws in this movie though.
But HEy, like, Michael Mann didn't direct Man on Fire. That was Tony Scott (Top Gun, Crimson Tide, True Romance). Mann's other big genre entries are Heat, Manhunter and Thief, plus "Miami Vice" and "Crime Story" on TV. His other films include Last of the Mohicans, The Insider and Ali.

Yeah, i understand that, but as you just said, why save him after all these eyewitnesses in the club?
First of all, eyewitnesses are notoriously unreliable, and in the massive confusion of the club with so many people shooting guns, he wouldn't be in too much danger of being picked out if it ever came to that. Not that he'd ever let himself be taken alive. But more importantly, most of Felix's men at that club were killed or arrested, meaning as far as Felix and his crew at large were concerned, Max is still who they know as Vincent. That could conceiveably be useful again later that evening. He had to keep the Max-as-decoy option open to himself. If for no other reason, than after finishing the job, he could kill Max and have Felix think, at least for a time, that "Vincent" was dead and need not be tracked down.

By the way, what was your opinion of the movie in it's entirety?
It's good genre fun. Not great. Not revelatory. Certainly not as ambitious or interesting as Heat. But I'd say about on a par with Thief, and better than most of the stupid ***** thrown at Summer audiences. And Cruise was real good in that role. Solid stuff, but nothing spectacular.

But HEy, like, Michael Mann didn't direct Man on Fire. That was Tony Scott (Top Gun, Crimson Tide, True Romance). Mann's other big genre entries are Heat, Manhunter and Thief, plus "Miami Vice" and "Crime Story" on TV. His other films include Last of the Mohicans, The Insider and Ali.
You know what holden pike, sometimes I enjoy reading your posts, other times I hate reading your posts. This is one of the time that I enjoyed it.

Ok, you can now come back with an antagonistic like response so I can hate you again.

You know what holden pike, sometimes I enjoy reading your posts, other times I hate reading your posts. This is one of the time that I enjoyed it.
You know what, Escape? Sometimes I don't care what you think, and the rest of the time I just don't care what you think.

[quote=Holden Pike]
First of all, eyewitnesses are notoriously unreliable, and in the massive confusion of the club with so many people shooting guns, he wouldn't be in too much danger of being picked out if it ever came to that. Not that he'd ever let himself be taken alive. But more importantly, most of Felix's men at that club were killed or arrested, meaning as far as Felix and his crew at large were concerned, Max is still who they know as Vincent. That could conceiveably be useful again later that evening. He had to keep the Max-as-decoy option open to himself. If for no other reason, than after finishing the job, he could kill Max and have Felix think, at least for a time, that "Vincent" was dead and need not be tracked down.

Yeah, but where there are bodyguards, there has to be cameras. Especially in a suped up dance club like that. And him being a pro assassin would be very observant of that.
And you're buying time notion does make sense even if he could be identified on camera. I however still like to think vincent actually was beginning to like max.

You know what, Escape? Sometimes I don't care what you think, and the rest of the time I just don't care what you think.
Ahh, excellent, right on cue.

hey my bad about man on fire though i was too quick but really though those kind of movies are pretty sic

and another thing , the reason he saved max was because he had reached a kind of understanding with him like some sort of frienship u know. he respected him adn felt bad for him and also he was the only way out of the club so it worked both ways for vincent. the end prett much proves this point becuz vincent couldve easily kille dmax but didnt and his last line proves he has "changed" or some sort of thing like that.

Max wasn't his only way out of the club unless like holden said, he was thinking longterm and believed he could buy himself some time after he tries to pass the blame on him. I think even with the cops on one end trying to id the shooter on camera in the club, there would still be that tiny window of opportunity to escape while the cops on the other end believe they have the killer's body (max) in the cab after vincent shoots him. It's a stretch, but I can probably buy that reasoning.

Showtimes, you also say that vincent could have easily killed him at the end. When was this? Vincent was caught off guard by his sudden unexpected appearance and wasn't prepared to kill him. And on the subway, it sure looked to me like he was in the killing mood towards both max and the girl. He was desperate and the friendship that I believed was blossoming became irrelevant as vincent was overcome by his assassin like instincts and his will to complete his job at hand. Only when he realized that he would die did he settle back down and accept his fate thereby allowing himself to open up a bit to max.

yeah ur right that he was trying to kill him at the end but i think it was the mentality of i have to kill him its m y job but if i dont im content and want to get out of my situation.he felt sort of gulity at the end and tried to own up to himself.

#1 Canadian Haylie Duff Fan
Why are there so many repeated threads about this movie? What's up with that, homiez?

Later!

Originally Posted by Moviez&Dvdz4life
Why are there so many repeated threads about this movie? What's up with that, homiez?
Actually I used the search function for "collateral" and nothing came up prior to starting this thread.

I saw this for the first time last night and I agree it is a wicked film! Tom cruise acts out his part to a T! It is one fo cruises best yet in my opinion. A MUST SEE! For anyone. I give this an 8 out of 10

The Satchel Snatcher's on the loose
Rumor has it that Micheal Mann directed the old Miami Vice series. If this is true, then his the style of the movie matches very closely to that of Miami Vice. Regardless i thought the movie was very well directed. There were tons of cool camera tricks, lighting and colors were also very cool. This movie was totally cool, and unlike anything to come out of hollywood in the last year or so. I'm not a huge Jamie Foxx fan, but his character portrayal was outstanding.