Camo's Movie Log

→ in
Tools    

Let the night air cool you off
If I wasn't lazy I'd read more of the comments about Joy Division, who I very much like, but I will just agree with Chyp that you should watch Control. It's been several years since I've seen it, but I really liked it. I actually saw it before I started listening to Joy Division, and that's why I started listening to Joy Division.

If I wasn't lazy I'd read more of the comments about Joy Division, who I very much like, but I will just agree with Chyp that you should watch Control. It's been several years since I've seen it, but I really liked it. I actually saw it before I started listening to Joy Division, and that's why I started listening to Joy Division.
Joy Division or New Order?

That's the jist of what we are talking about. Both of us actually agree but i'm questioning my own opinion

I agree with just about everything you said. As i said i didn't know what else to call it, i didn't really mean manufactured that was just the word that came to mind, Ian being replaced with a different vocalist makes it seem more like a business than a band basically. I know how stupid that sounds but i think that's something that subconsciously affects my enjoyment of New Order.
'Tis ok - the older I get the less vocabulary I appear to have at my disposal so I'm not gonna rag on someone else for failing to think of a better word or expression
It was no easy decision to continue without Ian but they are first and foremost musicians and I don't think anyone with an ounce of knowledge of the man would imagine that he would not have wanted them to do so.

I'm skeptical of my enjoyment of Joy Division over New Order because i acknowledge that things about Ian besides him as a musician factors in (his 'epilepsy' dance for example outside what we've already talked about) even though it shouldn't. And Joy Division had such a short time: 5 years, 2 Albums, the vast majority of it was (generally) small gigs; New Order had a much larger output and plenty of great stuff yet i'd much prefer to listen to JD's tiny output. I think i'm just naturally skeptical of everything, especially myself so JD's short lifespan is something i'm going to internally question myself about: i need to know how much that affects me but i don't think i can know that really. haha
I gave up trying to understand my inner self and the whys and wherefores long ago, wasted a few years on it and tbh wish I'd never bothered as for the most part I'm none the wiser but a whole lot happier since I stopped and just learned to accept that I am who I am and I simply like/dislike what I do

Let the night air cool you off
So, without doing any extra reading, only going by what I picked up from skimming, you are questioning your own opinion of your affection for Joy Division over New Order because of the circumstances of things outside of the actual music? Am I right?

Also i think i'd like to wait 10 or 12 years before watching Control. haha. I'm sure it's great but alot of my problems here is with the fact that Joy Division has became Ian Curtis: The Band, i think i know his story well enough, too much actually i'm much more interested in Peter Hook right now.

So, without doing any extra reading, only going by what I picked up from skimming, you are questioning your own opinion of your affection for Joy Division over New Order because of the circumstances of things outside of the actual music? Am I right?
Yeah, exactly. How short JD lasted and everything surrounding Curtis possibly affecting my opinion of them.

'Tis ok - the older I get the less vocabulary I appear to have at my disposal so I'm not gonna rag on someone else for failing to think of a better word or expression
It was no easy decision to continue without Ian but they are first and foremost musicians and I don't think anyone with an ounce of knowledge of the man would imagine that he would not have wanted them to do so.

I gave up trying to understand my inner self and the whys and wherefores long ago, wasted a few years on it and tbh wish I'd never bothered as for the most part I'm none the wiser but a whole lot happier since I stopped and just learned to accept that I am who I am and I simply like/dislike what I do
Couldn't agree more. I like New Order alot so i'm glad they happened. I'm also maybe wrong because as i said i think it's something that unintentionally affects my opinion of them. Maybe i should listen to your second paragraph and stop questioning everything about myself, haha.

I'd also like to point out that i wasn't saying they were betraying him or something. The replacement of him was a necessity and they tastefully renamed the band leaving Joy Divisions legacy with Ian. The problem i have there is my own, such a fundamental part of the band abruptly changing is something i find difficult to accept, it's hilarious that that's a problem of mine as this happened 13 years before i was born but i can't change that and while not the same as being a fan when Ian actually died and things changed i still listened to Joy Division first and heard their story and New Order was pretty jarring to me.

I'd also like to point out that i wasn't saying they were betraying him or something. The replacement of him was a necessity and they tastefully renamed the band leaving Joy Divisions legacy with Ian. The problem i have there is my own, such a fundamental part of the band abruptly changing is something i find difficult to accept, it's hilarious that that's a problem of mine as this happened 13 years before i was born but i can't change that and while not the same as being a fan when Ian actually died and things changed i still listened to Joy Division first and heard their story and New Order was pretty jarring to me.
Never felt you were trying to be disrespectful in any manner and I can actually understand how the transition could be more 'problematic' or 'jarring' to those that didn't live through it in real time. That a staunch JD fan such as myself (and I'm sure plenty of others) could make the transition with them and even use it to help ease the loss of Ian is the best testament to how it was managed I can offer.

Never felt you were trying to be disrespectful in any manner and I can actually understand how the transition could be more 'problematic' or 'jarring' to those that didn't live through it in real time. That a staunch JD fan such as myself (and I'm sure plenty of others) could make the transition with them and even use it to help ease the loss of Ian is the best testament to how it was managed I can offer.
Honestly, i knew you didn't actually think that. Think it was me thinking too much again after i re-read this part of your comment:

I know you were just saying this since we hadn't really went into the aftermath of his death and their decision to start New Order. I just wanted to clarify that's not something i thought and it is not a factor in my opinions about the bands: like some sense of loyalty to Ian.

Oddly, the main reason i don't fully understand my preference for Joy Division is that Ian isn't a dealbreaker for me. He's great but i don't think of him as irreplaceable, one of a kind or whatever personally.

Honestly, i knew you didn't actually think that. Think it was me thinking too much again after i re-read this part of your comment:

I know you were just saying this since we hadn't really went into the aftermath of his death and their decision to start New Order. I just wanted to clarify that's not something i thought and it is not a factor in my opinions about the bands: like some sense of loyalty to Ian.
And just to state there was no disrespect intended towards yourself with anything I wrote either.

Oddly, the main reason i don't fully understand my preference for Joy Division is that Ian isn't a dealbreaker for me. He's great but i don't think of him as irreplaceable, one of a kind or whatever personally.
Agreed - nobody is irreplaceable, God knows my wife reminds me of that often enough
He was one of a kind to me though.

Spellbound
(Alfred Hitchock, 1945)

This was my 21st Hitchcock film. The first thing of note that came to me while watching was; what the hell is with the 'love/lust at first sight' moments in old films? I love films from this era but that happens way too often during this time and it always feels tacky and lazy. By lazy i mean it presents this as a potential relationship from the very first second, like they're saying make sure you watch these two and i've noticed it often replaces some actual relationship development. This was even worse since it had Constance skeptical of him being a good enough doctor to replace the previous one and then all concerns were dropped the moment she laid eyes on him, plus the standard romantic score genuinely annoyed me. It's something i can deal with because alot of my favourite films have it but i am getting seriously tired of it, it's so formulaic considering just how many 30's/40's/50's Hollywood films it's in. Saying all of that though i need to give Hitch credit for quickly subverting it with Peck snapping at her dragging the fork on the tablecloth. Overall the romance was definitely the weakest part of this, i almost cracked up when the note he left her said something like "I'm sorry i can't involve you for many reasons, one of them being that i love you.". I mean what the hell they'd a few brief scenes together i can't imagine anyone got anything from their relationship.

There was stuff i liked here; Peck's performance particularly when one of his memories began to come back. The way the story affected the mood as well; i found this extremely dark for the most part. I figured he wasn't Dr.Edwardes and that he was most likely a patient during his first scene when he first snapped at the table, thankfully that was openly revealed early on, and when Constance set out with Edwardes from the hotel when they reunited to help him figure things out it was hard not to have mixed troubling feelings. Constance was a good woman who had fallen for him and for all we know she was helping restore the mind of a rapist or murderer who could want to harm her when he remembers, because of this it was difficult to not hold back on Peck yet he was very likeable and sympathetic which made it all the more confusing. Her defensiveness of and faith in him made her potentially being wrong about him pretty horrifying. Was actually pretty disappointed that she was right, and even though i didn't expect it i wasn't a fan of the main twist at the end; kinda came out of nowhere and not in a good way. There was foreshadowing with Murchison having a breakdown mentioned at the start but to me it felt like it was added just to uphold the love story.

Great visuals as usual by Hitch, loved the dream sequence and it was awesome to find out it was designed by Salvador Dali after i saw it. Not one of Hitch's best but very solid.

+

Randomly rewatched The Man From Nowhere last night with my gf. Still a great film and i don't really have anything new to say so here's a link to what i said first time if anyone is interested - https://www.movieforums.com/communit...10#post1626810

Really glad it held up, action films with the exception of ones that were ingrained in me as a kid like Die Hard rarely do. Detective Kim is still the best character even though he barely does anything, he's just so

I'm more of a fan of Spellbound than you but yeah sometimes the "Excuse me stranger but have you got the time please" *5 seconds later* "Oh my darling, I love you more than life itself" romantic timelines in older films are a tad ridiculous, glad Nowhere held up for you .... funnily enough I very nearly threw that in the player a few days ago which means it'll likely be getting a rewatch from me in the not too distant.

I'm more of a fan of Spellbound than you but yeah sometimes the "Excuse me stranger but have you got the time please" *5 seconds later* "Oh my darling, I love you more than life itself" romantic timelines in older films are a tad ridiculous, glad Nowhere held up for you .... funnily enough I very nearly threw that in the player a few days ago which means it'll likely be getting a rewatch from me in the not too distant.
Exactly, and it's worse here because it's instantaneous. The moment she lays eyes on him that's it. Also thinking about the film more last night that has actually started to bother me. There's a fair amount of casual misogyny in the film which is expected from the era, with her basically putting her life (and everything she believes when you consider she is a woman of science who goes off of faith for him) on the line for love and an intelligent, professional woman crumbling into a schoolgirl by the mere sight of this man i think that scene was even worse than i first realized. Oh well, i still liked it anyway.

Guess you liked The Man From Nowhere then?

Exactly, and it's worse here because it's instantaneous. The moment she lays eyes on him that's it. Also thinking about the film more last night that has actually started to bother me. There's a fair amount of casual misogyny in the film which is expected from the era, with her basically putting her life (and everything she believes when you consider she is a woman of science who goes off of faith for him) on the line for love and an intelligent, professional woman crumbling into a schoolgirl by the mere sight of this man i think that scene was even worse than i first realized. Oh well, i still liked it anyway.

Guess you liked The Man From Nowhere then?
It's a product of it's time and I try not to let it impact on any enjoyment tbh, I certainly don't hold it against films of that era if I can help it, it's just the way these things were often depicted. I'm far more likely to regard it as a detraction from a more modern offering.

I did, been a couple of years since I watched it so it's due a rewatch.

It's a product of it's time and I try not to let it impact on any enjoyment tbh, I certainly don't hold it against films of that era if I can help it, it's just the way these things were often depicted. I'm far more likely to regard it as a detraction from a more modern offering.

I did, been a couple of years since I watched it so it's due a rewatch.
I agree with that of course. Loads of my favourite films have stuff like or worse than that. The only reason it really bothered me was that it was related to the 'love at first sight' thing which always annoys me. Plus it didn't actually come to me until i was thinking about it later. I wouldn't rate it any lower or anything because of it.

I agree with that of course. Loads of my favourite films have stuff like or worse than that. The only reason it really bothered me was that it was related to the 'love at first sight' thing which always annoys me. Plus it didn't actually come to me until i was thinking about it later. I wouldn't rate it any lower or anything because of it.
Just for clarification - wasn't meaning to imply anything with my comment was just posting the way I view that issue as a fellow non-believer of 'love at first sight'.

Jaws
(Steven Spielberg, 1975)

Randomly rewatched this last night. Been watching and reading a bunch of nature stuff recently and that put me in the mood for Jaws haha. Usually i can't decide what is my favourite Spielberg out of this, Close Encounters, Catch Me If You Can or Temple of Doom but right now i'd say this is. Don't really know what to say that hasn't been said already, outstanding suspense, music, visuals, etc, etc. Such an entertaining film, glad i watched it again as it had been 5 years or something.