Jeff Costello's film diary

→ in
Tools    

The recent mini-series of ATTWN was pretty awesome. If you're looking for atmosphere, I recommend it. The cinematography in it is gorgeous, and the foggy island is almost like a horror movie.

Is this movie in any way related to the much more recent "Uninvited" starring David Strathairn and Elizabeth Banks ?
I don't think so. After taking a quick glance at 2009's version plotline, I've noticed a couple of similarities. But I haven't seen it listed as the remake of the 1944's version anywhere online. If it was, I think it was a very loose and definitely much more gory remake.

The recent mini-series of ATTWN was pretty awesome. If you're looking for atmosphere, I recommend it. The cinematography in it is gorgeous, and the foggy island is almost like a horror movie.
I may check it out at some point. The film was mostly a dissapointment for me, but the series looks very good. I've just watched the trailer and cinematography is indeed gorgeous.

#5 The Magnificent Ambersons (1942) - Orson Welles

Welles's second directed feature had a much greater impression on me than Citizen Kane. It wasn't really as advanced from a technical standpoint, but I could definitely connect with the characters much more. Tim Holt was terrific playing a young snobbish aristocrat George. At the beggining I thought he was going to be just a one-dimensional supporting antagonist, but was later pleasantly suprised to see the growth of his character. I particularly liked the dynamics he shared with his on screen aunt played by Dolores Castillo. Joseph Cotten and Anne Baxter did fine as well, altough their roles didn't require much range as the previously mentioned. The Magnificent Ambersons had a special sort of nostalgic charm and depth, combined with elements of warmth and poignance. However the film had some apparent editing problems, which were caused mostly by studio interference. I was especially left dissapointed with the film's ending, which definitely failed to live up to film's power. IMO the ending would've been much more effective, if the film ended with a scene of George praying by his mother bed.

It's definitely a shame, that good portion of film's footage was deleted, as I fell this could've been one of the true greats. Nonetheless this is a still a very good film, with occasional touches of brilliance.

Rating :
+

#6 The Ox-Bow Incident (1943) - William A. Wellman

The Ox-Bow Incident embodied perfectly what I like in a film. It was short, simple but nonetheless powerful and very much relavant with an important message . It served as a fascinating study of a mob-lynch mentality, told through a devastating story of men seeking for a vigilante justice. The film was written and directed perfectly and featured some really talented cast, like Henry Fonda, Anthony Quinn and Dana Andrews. I was especially touched by Dana Andrew's strong and emotional performance. It is really amazing, how much raw emotion such short film managed to convey. To be honest, I'd be genuinely suprised if this fascinating morality tale missed on my list for 40's countdown.

Rating:
+

#7 A Letter To Three Wives (1949) - Joseph L. Mankiewicz

Very charming and thoughtful film with an impeccable script.

Rating:

Miracle in Milan (1951) - Vittorio De Sica

I was so happy, when I stumbled across this gem on television. Suprisingly for De Sica, this film celebrates more upbeat side of life and even includes some fantasy elements. Very heartwarming neorealistic comedy !!

Rating:
-

#8 The Children Are Watching Us (1944) - Vittorio De Sica

Story about a young boy Prico ,whose life changes after his mother becomes involved in an affair. Short, simple and effective drama with a great child performance. Not one of De Sica's strongest works though.

Rating:

#9 Shoeshine (1946) - Vittorio De Sica

A tale of a two young shoeshine boys, who accidentaly become involved in a burglary and are therefore sent in a juvenile prison, where their friendship is put on a test. Truly a heartwrenching film and arguably De Sica's first sign of greatness. It contains a strong commentary on friendship, corruption and children who fall through the cracks of system, similarly to Bunuel's "Los Olvidados", done in a really uncompromising manner. De Sica once again delivers his signature emotionally devastating ending as well. Neorealism at its finest.

Rating:

#10 Cat People (1942) - Jacques Tourneur

Another horror gem of Val Lewton's production ! At only 72 minutes, Cat People is a neat and investing watch. It does a really good job at building up tension, but always in a very subtle and understated way.

Rating:

I will probly watch "La Ciociara" next, when I catch time. Very excited to explore De Sica's later work.

Wild Child (2008) - Nick Moore

Silly teen comedy. Cringeworthy at times, although it has its moments.

Rating:
-

Mickey Blue Eyes (1999) - Kelly Makin

Pretty much a dumb crime comedy. It was nice to see cameos from the Sopranos crew though.

Rating:
-

White Heat (1949) - Raoul Walsh

Very engaging and enjoyable flick with an impecable performance from James Cagney.

Rating:
+

Igby Goes Down (2002) - Burr Steers

Shame, I only caught the second part. It looked pretty interesting.

The Wolf Man(1941) - George Waggner

There's just something about Lon Chaney JR's screen presence that makes me want to see more of his work. Either way, an amazing film!

Rating:
+

Yea I actually used to love The Wolf Man but completely forgot about it regarding the 40's countdown. I should watch it again.
I figured you'd enjoy this one since you liked supernaturals like Cat People and I Walked With a Zombie. And in my opinion The Wolf Man eclipses both in terms of ambient and performances, while being very well paced and spooky at the same time.